PDA

View Full Version : Motegi

Squashed_Fly
22-08-11, 12:07 PM
I've been following the story surrounding the riders refusing to race at Motegi with some interest. I support the riders right to not go to a place they feel could be compromised. And the report commisioned by Dorna (who stand to lose a lot of money & sponsorship if the race doesn't go ahead, or goes ahead without the top 4 riders) probably isn't worth much to the riders. It wouldn't be the first time a scientist has compromised his findings in return for fame/fortune/money... Am I being too cynical? Possibly.

But now Honda have said that cancelling Stoners contract could be on the cards if he refuses to race, we'll see if the riders are going to stick to their guns, or race against their will. Or indeed if Honda actually have the balls to get rid of their star rider if he does refuse.

By that point, Stoner could easily be far enough in the lead that he doesn't actually ned to race at Motegi to win the championship... The other manufacturers have yet to comment but Lorenzo had also said he wouldn't race there...

Japan has a slightly chequred history for covering up information about their disasters, and there has been some concern about what info has been released this time, and it's accuracy or fullness of fact.

As a rider, I guess they have to ask 'The risk may well be small, but is it a risk worth taking?'

Col
22-08-11, 12:23 PM
Is this to do with radiation ?

Are there any other source figures about background radiation in Japan ? Is it any higher than X-ray which that lot must've had plenty :P

:D Stoner goes back to Ducati and guess where Rossi goes -assuming he races there ;D

Squashed_Fly
22-08-11, 12:55 PM
Yes, they are worried about the radiation levels. I don't know about the levels being compared to x-rays, but I would think there is a vast difference between a very quick x-ray photo being taken, and concentrated on 1 body part, than being fully immersed in X-Rays for 4-5 days. Doesn't The Xrayologist (or whatever they're called!) stand behind a lead screen to take the picture?

Col
22-08-11, 01:41 PM
They are Radiologists SF.

I do know that only a certain amount of x-rays can be carried out on a person before there is some concern over exposure levels. Can't imagine they are in more mortal danger than riding a bike around at 200 mph :D

Squashed_Fly
22-08-11, 02:29 PM

I knew it was something like that! Xrayologist didn't sound quite right! lol

I hadn't really thought about the fact they complain about that, but are quite happy to sit on a steerable missile for 45 minutes! I suppose it does give some sort of perspective ;D

@bj
22-08-11, 02:55 PM
I have a Scottish friend who lives only 30 miles away from the nukes with his Japanese wife & child... he has a geiger counter and says the radiation level is only 1.5 times normal background radiation (what you and I are exposed to at this very moment) or put another way - insignificant...

He reckons all the fuss '...is a load of big girls blousing...'

I asked if I could use that as a quote on his gravestone if it did go tits up...

NoYou
22-08-11, 05:53 PM

I knew it was something like that! Xrayologist didn't sound quite right! lol

I hadn't really thought about the fact they complain about that, but are quite happy to sit on a steerable missile for 45 minutes! I suppose it does give some sort of perspective ;D
But coming off a bike at 200 mph hitting a brick wall and dying instantly is an immediate risk that they choose to take knowing full well what could happen whereas getting excess exposure to radiation that could cause you long term health issues, or even getting cancer and dying a slow and painful death... is not such an appealing prospect, in my view anyways!

BladeTriple
22-08-11, 06:13 PM
All those Gamma rays ... Its not like Pedorosa couldn't do without a bit more meat on his bones, not sure about him turning green tho ... all those torn leathers in the paddock when someone gets red mist.....HRC - Hulk Racing Corporation

Ok I will shut up and get back in my corner now !!! :D ;D

Scotty
23-08-11, 07:52 AM
Aaaw, poor little rich boy racers - what about all the millions of people who actually LIVE there? The GP crowd will be there for four or five days, their dose uptake would be negligible, probably too small to actually register. I'll lose a lot of respect for them if they wimp out, and I'm not surprised to hear that Honda et al are (allegedly) waving the big stick...

Squashed_Fly
23-08-11, 12:10 PM
Definition of 'wimping out' - Not wanting to go to a place where there has recently been a quite severe Nuclear disaster, bordering on catastrophe had it not been brought under control, in an area that since the disaster, has just had further tsunami warnings due to further seismic activity in the region, in case you end up long term suffering effects of radiation and potentially dieing a long, slow & painful death should you be unlucky enough to have any problems.

Yeah - what a bunch of pussies! I'll be right behind you in the que for tickets Scotty! ::)

Snowy
23-08-11, 12:27 PM
It's interesting reading the report that was commissioned for Motegi:

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/user_upload/HOME/11_aout/Relazione%20finale%20motoGP_translation.pdf

One of the conclusions is that the ambient radiation level is in line with what it is currently found in Rome and Madrid.

Squashed_Fly
23-08-11, 03:56 PM
Joking and saracasm aside, I would imagine it's probably fine.

However would I go there? I would rather err on the side of caution I think. Would I go there if I was being paid thousands if not millions to take part in a race, well I think that may just convince me!

Lead lined leathers methinks! ;D

wiltshire builders
23-08-11, 06:38 PM
[/quote]
But coming off a bike at 200 mph hitting a brick wall and dying instantly is an immediate risk that they choose to take knowing full well what could happen
[/quote]
Bloody hell! Why have they put brick walls up on a Gp circuit? That's just asking for trouble. ;D

NoYou
23-08-11, 11:38 PM
But coming off a bike at 200 mph hitting a brick wall and dying instantly is an immediate risk that they choose to take knowing full well what could happen
[/quote]
Bloody hell! Why have they put brick walls up on a Gp circuit? That's just asking for trouble. ;D[/quote]
lol :D:D

@bj
24-08-11, 12:49 AM

Bloody hell! Why have they put brick walls up on a Gp circuit? That's just asking for trouble. ;D[/quote]
lol :D:D[/quote]

'lol'..? doesn't appear to be a very satisfying response...? I'm sure you can do better...