PDA

View Full Version : Never buy a bike brand new close to a bank holiday

Splash
24-08-11, 08:10 PM
I only got my new bike last Tuesday and as I've put so many miles on it already this Bank Holiday ride has gone out of the window!

I wanted to go to Porthmadog and pwelli but instead I will be cleaning the bike I think or I'll be taking the bike into the dealers with over 1000 miles on for the 600miles service, I presume the warranty would then be void, What a pain that could of been a nice camping weekend!

Enjoy your weekends! Looking forward to the trip reports! ;D

Harry87
24-08-11, 08:31 PM
Wouldn't have thought that would void warranty. Those service intervals are just recommended figures..

I know what you mean though, when I bought my first bike, there was nothing I wanted to do other than ride. Come to think about it, I still feel the same way. :)

Splash
24-08-11, 08:43 PM
Wouldn't have thought that would void warranty. Those service intervals are just recommended figures..

I know what you mean though, when I bought my first bike, there was nothing I wanted to do other than ride. Come to think about it, I still feel the same way.

The salesman at G Whites said I can't go over 1000 miles... he never said why! at the rate I'm going and a small 150mile trip monday I should be taking it in on about 984 miles... close call ;)

Yes I know how you feel with wanting to ride all the time! It becomes very obsessive! :D

redken1
24-08-11, 08:48 PM
Ash, I bought a new Fazer last September from GW's and took it back for its 1st service with 950 miles on the clock and they were fine with that. Not sure about going over the 1000 though. No what you mean - its hard to time that service right and get it booked in. Good luck

Splash
24-08-11, 09:02 PM
Wow! At least I don't feel like the only one taking it in with almost double first service mileage figures!

I will ask when I pop in on Thursday what actually happens and let you know ;) I'm going to plan better next time I get the CBR600F from them in the summer... pain in the butt! Oh well... have to do an extra long weekend trip! ;D

Nooj
24-08-11, 09:44 PM
As long as you haven't thrashed the pants off it with the old oil in it once you got to 600 miles, you should be OK.

Splash
25-08-11, 11:28 AM
Thanks Nooj, no I have given it both and easy and hard break in as I was told if you're to easy on the engine it wont set properly... I've been down the Dual carriage way once at speed for 3 miles then the rest country roads never really at speed just witht he flow of traffic etc... I've worked out I can go on one short 150 mile ride this weekend and that'll be me done until Thursday when its serviced.

Then it'll need a good clean!

wasted_ace
25-08-11, 11:49 AM
Stick with what your service booklet tells you to do..i did and believe me it paid off big time...
Just watch your dealers wriggle and squirm if something goes wrong and you have failed to stick to the rules..
That smarmy salesman with the pearly white smile who so much wants to be your friend as you sign the deal will soon be replaced by a shoulder shrugging no neck "not our problem mate" type..
If the bike goes to 1000 miles and no problem then srvice away mate but if your engine goes bang at 700 miles and you get your warranty book out and theres no stamp then you are f**ked..your warranty booklet is your bible..follow it religiously..and when the warranty is over..do what you like.
I had three loads of warranty work done on the last bike and those service stamps saved my ass ;)

Snowy
25-08-11, 12:08 PM
The first 600 mile service is an important one re oil & filter changes. It's OK to go over a bit, but 400 miles over isn't a bit. Irrespective of warranty issues I just wouldn't want my engine running for that long with all the swarf in the oil from the breaking in process - in the vague hope that an over clogged filter is protecting everything. If there's one service you need to get done on time its the 600 mile one. If it was me and I had no choice I would change the oil and filter myself which is OK for warranty as long as you use OEM filters and specified oils. Your engine will thank you for it ;)

Splash
25-08-11, 12:20 PM
Thanks Wasted_ace // Snowy This is my first spanky new bike so I'll stick with your words... I won't go out this weekend now! or anywhere else for that matter than work and back! That'll mean it'll go in with 760 miles on that should be okay shouldn't it? :-/

I'm worried now!

Snowy
25-08-11, 01:07 PM
Thanks Wasted_ace // Snowy This is my first spanky new bike so I'll stick with your words... I won't go out this weekend now! or anywhere else for that matter than work and back! That'll mean it'll go in with 760 miles on that should be okay shouldn't it? :-/

I'm worried now!

I doubt there will be any issue to worry about at 760 miles - you just don't want to give them the ammunition for rejecting claims in the future which in my opinion you are doing if you go above 1000. They can't use it as an excuse if your wheel bearing goes, but they could if the engine self-destructs at anytime in the warranty period, not just now.

Splash
25-08-11, 01:27 PM
Thank you so much Snowy! Again this is my first dealing with a dealer and having a warranty etc...

760 it will be or there abouts, Poor bike will sit in the garage getting cleaned for 3 days now no doubt! :D

Jon_W
25-08-11, 03:43 PM
Never mind.... it'll probably rain anyway!!!!

Splash
25-08-11, 06:09 PM
Haha Jon, I hope it does for my sake but I hope its dry where everyone else is! :D