PDA

View Full Version : Advice after a 'bike drop' off a bike ramp please!

Shorty
25-08-11, 03:47 PM
Hi there.

Well I only picked him up last Friday and he went into the garage today for lowering.
The paddock stand buckled and Indy the Street Triple R fell off the bike ramp - not the first adventure I was planning for him! The garage were mortified and are trying to fix him asap - ordering the many parts that need replacing. Crash bungs, bar ends, mirrors, levers, grab rail, screen, swing arm! and many many more bits are being replaced as he landed partly on the tool chest. I would love some advice on what else I should be checking. They say they have checked the frame and it is fine by wheeling the bike up and down!! - is there a way of checking it fully and is there anything else I should be aware of. Cheers Rach

Davey
25-08-11, 05:00 PM
Gutted to hear this :(

Sounds like they are going to go through it thoroughly with not hesitating on replacing everything. Once they've stripped it down no doubt they'll check the frame as the only other 'proper' way is to get it on a jig but often you can visibly see any damage

Hope its all sorted soon

Squashed_Fly
25-08-11, 05:33 PM
Is it at Triumph? They will look after you hun.

Easily the best bike shop around by far! :)

Mikkie who works there is a forum member on here x

BB
25-08-11, 06:25 PM
Bad news but sounds like they are looking after you. Hope you are sorted soon :)

BB

Dabz
25-08-11, 06:30 PM
Ouch not good, but looking forward to seeing the bike once it's fixed!

Scaredy_Cat
25-08-11, 06:34 PM
Oh no! :(

No advice I'm afraid, but lots of sympathy.

NoYou
25-08-11, 06:39 PM
How sucky :[
really bad luck but it sounds like they're going to sort it out properly, you'll probably know soon enough after riding it if there are any underlying problems that they missed

Shorty
25-08-11, 08:15 PM
Thank you, great to see your replies, its appreciated. Cheers Rach

470four
25-08-11, 08:23 PM
Was it a new NEW bike?? Doubtful any frame twistage took place TBH as its fall was halted by the toolchest?

flick
25-08-11, 09:22 PM
Can't believe your bad luck on this Rachel,bike being a minter an all.
I would take someone else along when it's done,two set's of eye's looking over the bike,also I would want to ride it before agreeing it's ok,to check that clock's, gauges, and all bulb's have not been damaged by shock of fall.Don't think frame or fork's would be damage by a fall off ramp's either,but riding it will tell if it ain't right.

jonnydangerous
26-08-11, 08:59 AM
get a receipt from them for the work, detailing the accident, even if it has "no charge" at the end of it, and also on the understanding that it has an independant inspection by Triumph to make sure it is straight.
once the independant inspection is completed and satisfactory, inform the garage that you will then close the case, but not until then incase there is other damage not initially spotted when you pick it up, as they could say "well you took it away accepting its right, so you must have done it since"....

i expect it will be alright though, we fall off our offroaders all the time (they have much more spindley frames that a road bike and they dont bend the frames very easily. ive known a few road bikes have frontal impacts hard enough to bend the forks and the frames have survived ok, modern frames are an engineering masterpiece and absorb a lot of force (int he right plane!)..... so i should think youll be ok, but get an independant inspection done just incase as part of the deal.....

good luck.

Jon_W
26-08-11, 09:12 AM
Oh NO!!!! Bad news. Sounds like the garage are fixing it up though.

from the description it sounds like the tool chest broke the fall and it should be fine. I agree with Jaydee, get it inspected before closing the case if you are in any doubts.

Dex
27-08-11, 12:51 AM
Mikkie who works there is a forum member on here x

Which one's Mikkie?

SupeRDel
27-08-11, 10:36 AM
If the frame could be damaged by it just falling over it would never have been safe to go on the road in the first place.

You wanna ride a superbike from the 70's where the frame flex's when cornering at high speed.. :D

When Taylors M/C shop first started in Chippenham they did a first 500 mile service on a mates GT550 triple. The mechanic stripped the thread on the oil drain plug.

It fell out on the way home dumping all the oil. That made a real mess of the engine.

The shop will be claiming off their insurance so cost will be irrelivant to them