PDA

View Full Version : Bike for the winter? And suggestions?

AndytheCat
25-08-11, 01:13 PM
Hey all,

Im planning on buying a cheapish hack for the winter months so i can rebuild the thundercat gearbox (plus other things)

Any suggestions, i only want to use it as a commuter so i thinking a twin mabye 400cc?

I really fancy a GPZ500 but this may be too good for what i want. What mpg do they get?

I also like........wait for it...........Honda cb250 superdream! ;D

price range around £500 ish

Cheers!

Disclaimer: Im in no way suggesting the GPZ is a cheap hack. Im refering to any bike in rough condition with mot. ;)

Snowy
25-08-11, 01:18 PM
Hey all,

Im planning on buying a cheapish hack for the winter months so i can rebuild the thundercat gearbox (plus other things)

Any suggestions, i only want to use it as a commuter so i thinking a twin mabye 400cc?

I really fancy a GPZ500 but this may be too good for what i want. What mpg do they get?

I also like........wait for it...........Honda cb250 superdream! ;D

price range around £500 ish

Cheers!

Disclaimer: Im in no way suggesting the GPZ is a cheap hack. Im refering to any bike in rough condition with mot. ;)

CB250N Superdream was my first bike - rode it everywhere including a trip down through France, over the mountains to Spain and onto Minorca. Loved it. Some on the forum hated them but they have no idea of class when they see it ;D ;D ;D

@bj
25-08-11, 02:27 PM
CB250N Superdream was the nutz when it first came out... course in those days you could ride a 250 with an L plate...

jonnydangerous
25-08-11, 02:50 PM
how about seeing if you can find an offroader???...
they dont have much "plasticky breaky" things when you fall off (in the ice) and can be used offroad :-)

AndytheCat
25-08-11, 03:33 PM
sounds interesting Jaydee.

What could i look for? (i know nothing of off roaders)

Do you mean like an Yamaha XT600? (My friend has one, so i know what that looks like)

AndytheCat
25-08-11, 03:35 PM
Oh and as for the 250 superdream, i had one a few years ago before i passed my test. I rode it round a small yard and loved it.

Only worry is it will be a bit slow ;D i like my 600 for commuting at the moment, but bit too much in the wet (for me)

Jon_W
25-08-11, 03:41 PM
Great bikes Superdreams. Have had three of them and would like another one day. Reliable, stand up to the cold and salt well, no carb icing and very easy to work on with few plastics. Spares are plentyful as well.

The brakes and shocks are not good by modern standards, but adequate for the task. Riding style is different due to the skinny tyres and suspension but they handle well (could keep up with most people through the twisties). Top speed is 75-80mph and they'll cruse at 60 all day long.

The only thing to check if you get a superdream is that it has had regular oil changes. They are prone to block the tiny oilways in the barrel if the oil is left, but change the oil every 1000 - 1500 miles and you'll always be fine.

Sean.C
25-08-11, 08:51 PM
Honda CB500 would make a good winter hack

470four
25-08-11, 09:00 PM
I had a CB400N Wetdream hack maaaaaaany moons ago? Quite quick! The engine will retrofit the 250, I THINK the exhaust is generic - you will need the carbs & also the extra front disc & calipers etc...

The downside - Wetdreams now fetch silly-money & have reached some sort of bizarre cult status??

Get another bike the same as you have but in worse condition - spares will of course be the same and you wont have to get used to a completely different bike??

Jon_W
26-08-11, 08:00 AM
I had a CB400N Wetdream hack maaaaaaany moons ago? Quite quick! The engine will retrofit the 250, I THINK the exhaust is generic - you will need the carbs & also the extra front disc & calipers etc...

The downside - Wetdreams now fetch silly-money & have reached some sort of bizarre cult status??

Get another bike the same as you have but in worse condition - spares will of course be the same and you wont have to get used to a completely different bike??

Indeed, the 400 is an easy conversion. You want the 400N brakes though....

Jon_W
26-08-11, 08:04 AM
Another cheap bike is the MZ 2 stroke. Crude but bomb proof.

Mark_Able
26-08-11, 08:11 PM
GS500... ;)

Davehsw
26-08-11, 08:26 PM
I guess Mark has another GS500 for sale. One careful owner and 500 suicidal riders.

Mark_Able
27-08-11, 05:31 PM
I guess Mark has another GS500 for sale. One careful owner and 500 suicidal riders.

;D ;D ;D