PDA

View Full Version : help with 1 piece leathers

abxv535
22-08-11, 09:19 AM
Hi again, more help needed... Looking to get for my birthday a set of leathers and i'm finding sizing confusing... Not having lots of money found some at George white for £150 , tried some on and think my size is 44, been looking on ebay as well and most description dont make any sense to me... I'm a 41 chest, 34 weist and 5f,9 , not being used to it they all feel weird to me , :-[ just want to make sure i get the right size for me... ::) cheers

Squashed_Fly
22-08-11, 09:51 AM
Being somewhat devoid of height, but well blessed in the midriff area, I had a nightmare trying to find off the peg leathers that fitted ok but weren't too long. I've always struggled.

The best thing I can offer is try as many different suits as you can within your budget as different manufacturers differ slightly in fit. The other thing is when you try them on, you need to only just be able to do them up, after you've breathed in and held in any belly you might have. They do stretch by as much as 10% within the first few weeks of wearing.

If you find some close but not quite, go for slightly too big/long. Places like Cobra Leathers can adjust to make stuff fit tighter/shorter quite easily. It's much harder to increase the size in leathers.

Oh, and go on a cold day as climbing in and out of leathers for a few hours is bloody hot work! ;D

NiteW4tcher
22-08-11, 09:59 AM
i have a set of 42 RST fusion 1 peice for sale £150 worn 4 times perfect condition

njl
22-08-11, 10:21 AM
I've done ok on eBay but also picked up stuff that's not been a good fit so stuff local u can try is gonna be a benefit. I know someone who has a richa jacket that does need a new main zip but going for 30 quid. I'd expect about 40 for a zip job tho

abxv535
22-08-11, 12:33 PM
I have got a leather jacket and another jacket with protection, just wanted to treat myself to a set of leathers so went at the weekend to George white to try some on, but staff wasn't very helpfull and just told me to try some... So i've tried a 42 that felt very tight on my chest but ok bottom( couldn't close zip) and tried a 44 that felt a bit big ass aerea ok chest so didn't buy any yet :-? ... If they're meant to feel tight will go back again on the weekend with more time and try a few to make sure i get size right. see if i can get into that 42... And on ebay people describe smaller than 44 for my build that's why i was getting a bit confused in what size to go for :-[

Thanks for your help

Squashed_Fly
22-08-11, 12:52 PM
When I tried mine on, I could only just do up the zip, and it almost felt like I couldn't take a deep breath in! Now they feel really comfortable and have worn in lovely!

BladeTriple
22-08-11, 02:05 PM
If they're snug try the next side up, leather will give a bit but not massive amounts... GW's being unhelpful ? Hmmm I guess it depends on the member of staff, sometimes they bend over backwards for you, I guess it depends if youre a tall leggy blonde bird or not ;)

Let me guess, it was the outlet part of the store too right ? Good luck in finding something nice for your birthday tho :)

jonnydangerous
22-08-11, 02:29 PM
top half should be a snug fit, and will give a "bit" after a period of wearing in, the bottom half will have to be comfortable whilst in a "Bike Riding" crouching position, and have to be comfy when just sitting or walking....
also consider that sometimes you may have a t shirt on, and other times a few more layers (altho some of us do put large jumpers over the top of our leather jackets to take some of the chill off).

if you but a 2 piece suit you could match the bottoms to the jacket???.. they seem to have a few bargains there sometimes if you look through the rails.

p.s. happy birthday!!! :-)

wiltshire builders
22-08-11, 05:45 PM
Just remember that they're in the bargain bin for a reason. You can't get a decent ordinary leather jacket for £150.
Think about all the workmanship that needs to go into making a 1 piece suit let alone the materials.
Everyone has a budget but don't forget the reason you're buying them. It's better to pay a little more for something that is perfect than waste £150 on leathers you'll have to change because they don't fit well.
I've had my leathers for 8 years and they're still in great nick and been used all over Europe and in all sorts of conditions.
I wouldn't consider spending less than £300 on a 1 piece. You absolutely get what you pay for.
If you don't mind someone elses sweat, look at second hand. There are some real bargains to be had.
Good luck and enjoy your birthday!

abxv535
22-08-11, 09:57 PM
I was told they are £150 reduced from £399.99 due to being the last ones, they are frank Thomas ones? ?? Was told at the shop frank Thomas went bust so they won't be getting anymore ... That's the reason they're going for that price (they have 10ish left different sizes and colours) ... So i was told ::)

that's why i didn't want to get them of ebay, cheaper but don't know if they will fit and what condition it would be :-[ ;D

Will have another look at GW Sunday :)

SupeRDel
23-08-11, 06:34 AM
I bought my first leather jacket at George Whites - cost me less than 20 quid.

Never owned a one piece leather - can't se the point when seperate jacket and trousers are available

Have bought leather trousers of ebay a few times. Most never fitted to my liking - so I resold them and ended up making a profit.. :)

When I finally got some - they were effectively free.. 8-)

b_m1957
23-08-11, 07:32 AM
I have got a leather jacket and another jacket with protection, just wanted to treat myself to a set of leathers so went at the weekend to George white to try some on, but staff wasn't very helpfull and just told me to try some... So i've tried a 42 that felt very tight on my chest but ok bottom( couldn't close zip) and tried a 44 that felt a bit big ass aerea ok chest so didn't buy any yet :-? ... If they're meant to feel tight will go back again on the weekend with more time and try a few to make sure i get size right. see if i can get into that 42... And on ebay people describe smaller than 44 for my build that's why i was getting a :-* bit confused in what size to go for :-[

Thanks for your help
Were you standing up when the ass area felt big? Lie JD said, they need to be comfy in the 'bike' position. Stick them on again and do a few squats... if they feel ok when it feels like you're sitting on the floor then should be ok on the bike!

wiltshire builders
23-08-11, 07:33 AM
I was told they are £150 reduced from £399.99 due to being the last ones, they are frank Thomas ones? ?? Was told at the shop frank Thomas went bust so they won't be getting anymore ... That's the reason they're going for that price (they have 10ish left different sizes and colours) ... So i was told ::)

that's why i didn't want to get them of ebay, cheaper but don't know if they will fit and what condition it would be :-[ ;D

Will have another look at GW Sunday :)
As long as they fit well, you won't go far wrong with Frank Thomas.

Scotty
23-08-11, 07:46 AM
Have a look at these (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1311700687)- they're still available as far as I know and he's more than prepared to haggle - a try-on can be arranged easily enough, from your description you don't sound a million miles away, size wise - right colours for a Kawa too... 8-)

Fletch
24-08-11, 05:59 PM
Have a look at these (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1311700687)- they're still available as far as I know and he's more than prepared to haggle - a try-on can be arranged easily enough, from your description you don't sound a million miles away, size wise - right colours for a Kawa too... 8-)

i very very nearly bought them, but after i did a bit of research on sizes found they would be slightly too big for me.

i was recently one piece shopping too and must say some of them felt uncomfortable until i sat in the 'riding/bike' position as thats the position theyre designed to be comfortable in.

i too went to GW and didnt really find them 'that' helpfull but they were understaffed and still helped out as much as they could

abxv535
24-08-11, 07:37 PM
I dont know anything about 1 piece leathers , sizes,etc(I'm originally from portugal and not many people use any protection at all, just came back from holiday and saw loads of people riding big bike with only shorts,t-shirt...used to be one of them ::) ) being a proper newbie :-[ to get it right asked for advise to a member of staff, he looked at me said try some on and just walked away! having to ride everyday to work now, just want to be as safe i can be... now knowing what to look for will have another go at it this weekend... :) thanks for everyones advise

abxv535
04-09-11, 08:08 PM
Finally got my new set of leathers (i'm size 44) thanks for everyone's help :)

8_ball
08-09-11, 11:25 PM
leather is a great thing, if you ever find that its to tight for what ever reason you can buy leather stretch froma cobblers for shoes spray on inside and out if you can and wear. chemicals in the spray help the leather to stretch and once dry stay stretched. IT WILL NOT THIN THE LEATHER. :D
MADE TO MEASURE.
I use it on my leather carved seats I do