PDA

View Full Version : Heated Grips.

wi77y
11-09-11, 05:30 PM
Dont laugh was going buy some heated grips for winter time and was wondering if anyone knows the best ones to get ? i was thinking oxford ?

i dont have a clue thanks

will

NiteW4tcher
11-09-11, 05:34 PM
i wont laugh cold hands aint funny been there tooooo many times. never ahd any myself so cant really comment but i cant see anything wrong with oxford.

u can get some with adjustable temps

wi77y
11-09-11, 05:37 PM
Yea thats what i was thinking just wondered if anyone used anydiffrent ones cos there is loads of types on flea bay but might be rubbish and break after a week lol

Wes
11-09-11, 06:02 PM
Oxford are good if not a little expensive, R+G do a good set, my mates got some and i had to turn them down they were that warm! much better than cold hands :)

wi77y
11-09-11, 06:34 PM
Just bought some R&G's thanks for your help will let you know he he :)

NiteW4tcher
11-09-11, 07:06 PM
Just bought some R&G's thanks for your help will let you know he he :)

toasty hands FTW

RedSoul
11-09-11, 07:32 PM
I swear by heated grips...had them on 3 bikes now though you really need hand-guards with them to stop wind chill.
I wear summer gloves all year round with heated grips on full blast in the winter

bubblylittleme
11-09-11, 07:42 PM
I also have R&G ones. Had them 3 yrs and use them all year round if slightly chilly even on a summer eve late at nite

Dabz
11-09-11, 08:00 PM
Love heated grips! Had them on my bandit. Avoid the wrap around ones - they can slip which is really dangerous

YMFB
11-09-11, 08:50 PM
Some years ago I bought Daytona heated grips as the Oxford ones had mixed reviews (at that time)

They are on my BMW and sometimes I wish I had gone for the heated seat as well.

Jon_W
12-09-11, 08:05 AM
I use the Motrax ones and they're very warm.

Bonnielass
12-09-11, 08:52 AM
I have Oxford heated grips, love them!! Use them all year round! :)

Harry87
12-09-11, 10:55 AM
All you softies. Been riding 2 winters now and never used heated grips ;D

Jon_W
12-09-11, 12:09 PM
All you softies. Been riding 2 winters now and never used heated grips ;D

Soft and dammed proud (and warm)!

You can freeze and feel holy.... I'll stick to being warm... :D

Blackandchrome
12-09-11, 12:22 PM
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp298/zohn_photo/My%20fretting%20hand/Image0216.jpg
Lite-weights! :'(
Nowt wrong with a bit of frost-bite ;)

Harry87
12-09-11, 12:25 PM
I don't freeze. I use thick lined winter riding gloves rated highly for insulation and winter use. I have also tried using the glove inserts but found they didn't make a lot of difference. If I go on long journeys, regular breaks are essential. You also build up resistance after a while and don't feel the cold as much.

Snowy
12-09-11, 12:31 PM
Heated grips, heated jacket and heated gloves for me. I did my time freezing to death 30 years ago and am not interested in repeating those days again. ;)

Jon_W
12-09-11, 12:33 PM
I don't freeze. I use thick lined winter riding gloves rated highly for insulation and winter use. I have also tried using the glove inserts but found they didn't make a lot of difference. If I go on long journeys, regular breaks are essential. You also build up resistance after a while and don't feel the cold as much.

Agreed about Glove inserts.... total waste of time. But heated grip are great!!!! :D

Harry87
12-09-11, 12:42 PM
Okay I get the point they are great. However, I see them as a luxury item and almost getting dangerously close to being too comfortable. To me, riding is about suffering and overcoming any conditions. It's part of the fun, and the feeling of warming up when you get to the warm destination. I would have a car if I wanted a warm dry journey.

Snowy
12-09-11, 12:48 PM
When you are cold, shivering and feeling the pain, just remember that your ability to concentrate on the road ahead, anticipation and control of the motorcycle has diminished dramatically from when you are warm. It's your choice, but in my opinion, heated grips are the single most brilliant add on for a bike in the last 30 years ;)

HensonA
12-09-11, 01:07 PM
When you are cold, shivering and feeling the pain, just remember that your ability to concentrate on the road ahead, anticipation and control of the motorcycle has diminished dramatically from when you are warm. It's your choice, but in my opinion, heated grips are the single most brilliant add on for a bike in the last 30 years ;)
+1 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Harry87
12-09-11, 01:12 PM
wink and +1 all you like haha. Buy me some heated grips and I'll tell you what I think of them ;) ;)

and don't lecture me graham, I probably know as much as you in my 2 years, than you've learnt in your 50.

Jon_W
13-09-11, 08:11 AM
wink and +1 all you like haha. Buy me some heated grips and I'll tell you what I think of them ;) ;)

and don't lecture me graham, I probably know as much as you in my 2 years, than you've learnt in your 50.

Ohhhhh... Meow! :P

Roxy
13-09-11, 01:50 PM
;D ;D ;D

Heated grips??? GO FOR IT! nothing wrong with a bit of warmth in your life!

Harry - you are obviously just pure GRRRRRRRRRRRR! ;) ;D ;D

Roxy x

redken1
13-09-11, 06:38 PM
Heated grips, heated jacket and heated gloves for me. I did my time freezing to death 30 years ago and am not interested in repeating those days again. ;)

Me too Graeme - was my only mode of transport during my youth and when the years creep up on you the hands get cold very quickly. I've never had the joy of heated grips but I think it's time I bought some. Or move to Spain 8-), especially after hearing tonight's news relating to energy rises again >:(. Winter must be close :'(

YMFB
13-09-11, 07:22 PM
I use my heated grips all year round, they even dry out my gloves. Discomfort and unpleasantness is what I put up with when I was young and had no choice.

Screw that :-)

Nelly
13-09-11, 07:38 PM
I got oxford on the Bird. I tried them out in anger this morning. Nearly got to work with two toasted hands. Seem to work fine :)

Snowy
13-09-11, 07:40 PM
I use my heated grips all year round, they even dry out my gloves. Discomfort and unpleasantness is what I put up with when I was young and had no choice.

Screw that :-)

Me to, I rode all year round for 5 years before taking a car test, come rain, snow, ice I had no other way of getting to work. There was no "Technical" weather gear then either so now I have a choice I use it :)

redken1
13-09-11, 07:41 PM
I got oxford on the Bird. I tried them out in anger this morning. Nearly got to work with two toasted hands. Seem to work fine :)

Funny that I had a Bird in Oxford. ;DBet you needed them Nelly after coming back from all that sunbathing in the Canary Islands ;D

Nelly
13-09-11, 07:42 PM

Bet you needed them Nelly after coming back from all that sunbathing in the Canary Islands ;D

Damn right Ken. It feels like -10 over here!
>:(

470four
13-09-11, 08:06 PM
Used bar muffs for many years through winter? Kept the wind blast off & the rain as well, double win! Took a bit of getting used to...

Motrax ones were best! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTRAX-HANDLE-BAR-MUFFS-MUFF-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-CL-/260841726084?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cbb6 0e084#ht_1670wt_1139

Bonnielass
13-09-11, 08:18 PM
I was going to get some muffs last year at bike show but Nokesy wouldn't let me, said they were uncool and she wouldn't ride with me if I bought them!! ::)

redken1
13-09-11, 08:20 PM
I would stick my fingers in a muff anytime :D :o :D ;)

Marmalade
13-09-11, 08:35 PM
I would stick my fingers in a muff anytime :D :o :D ;)

+1

I have heated grips on the pan euros and wear cold killer inner gloves when it gets properly cold, like in Austria in Feb. Now that is cold.

470four
13-09-11, 09:12 PM
I was going to get some muffs last year at bike show but Nokesy wouldn't let me, said they were uncool and she wouldn't ride with me if I bought them!! ::)

"Uncool" is freezing cold wet hands!

They quite suited the VFR vtec but did look a tad strange on the CBR4, lol

Its like having roofs for your hands! You can wear summer gloves in Winter & still have toasty fingers. :)

@bj
13-09-11, 09:30 PM
Some years ago I used to commute regularly between Bristol & London in the depths of winter (didn't have a car licence then) at close to zero temperatures - finger pain could become excruciating...

Tried muffs - good at keeping wind chill off - but pressed against handlebar levers at high speed...

Heated grips - no good - its the outside of your hands that get cold from wind chill not the inside...

Finally found some light weight gloves with heating elements only on the back of the hand... incredible - London to Bristol at 0 degrees centegrade - with light weight gloves - hands warm as toast...