PDA

View Full Version : Indicators faulty

supermancss
09-09-11, 11:12 AM
My right hand side indicators after a drop stopped working, then changed the battery over and tested and they started working fine. Although mid ride I noticed that they had stopped working

No lights flashing on the dash board to say that its doing anything and no flashing at front or rear indicator.

I also find that if I put left signal on then over to right signal without pushing in to cancel it AUTO cancels itself so the diode is working...

Any ideas to check? I've checked the wiring and all seems to be fine and plugged in correctly and tightly.

Stumped and frustrated, any ideas?

Bike is a Yamaha Thundercat, thanks in advice

NiteW4tcher
09-09-11, 11:15 AM
dodgy relay?

Jon_W
09-09-11, 11:23 AM
Dodgy indicator switch is where I'd start.

supermancss
09-09-11, 11:33 AM
The switch works fine as it cancels the left turn when I flick it over to the right. So the connection is being made at the switch.. I think thats right anyway.

The relay, would that not be a case of working or not working applying to both left and right indicators? If not any idea what im looking for ? Not sure what the indicator relay will look like or where!

Jon_W
09-09-11, 11:56 AM
Still say you need to test the switch.

supermancss
09-09-11, 12:15 PM
Still say you need to test the switch.

What should I do to test it?

Jon_W
09-09-11, 12:20 PM
You need to disconnect it and do a continuity test.

supermancss
09-09-11, 12:52 PM
ok thanks for advice. doing a check ill use multimeter to check the wiring is connected. job for when i get back or else i cant go out tonight on it :*(

BB
09-09-11, 05:41 PM
Daft question, but does the bulb work - swap it over to another position - and is it seated correctly?

BB

newnut
10-09-11, 12:41 AM
just turn right ;D ;D ;D

470four
10-09-11, 07:13 AM
Faulty relay would mean BOTH sides wouldnt work, one working side means its fine!

Unlikely both r/hand bulbs have failed - if one end had come unplugged then you would still have one working albeit flashing a lot faster?? Wouldnt hurt to check them tho, strange things happen when bikes get dropped...

I will run with what Jon is saying and go with feed problems, IE the switch - it canceling the other side when you push it across does not mean you have electricity feed to the new side ;)

Do you have a Haynes or similar for said bike & can identify wires coming from the l/hand handlebar switch?

Swap the feed wires to the l/h and r/h indicators, that would tell you if you have a feed problem. :)

nickreeve
13-09-11, 09:49 AM
you have not said what dammage was caused by the drop? sounds more like a brocken wire in the loom, is it the front or back that does not work? if it is both check the earth, if it is just one that is not working the other should flash fast, which would say a live fault or bulb. would not think it would be switch unless the switch was dammaged during drop, if swich is on the side that hit ground.

alanTDM
13-09-11, 09:36 PM
If i remember rightly on the Thundercat 2002 i had the indicator switch is the same as my TDM.you push it left but it auto goes back to centre and to cancel the left indicator you press it in,same with right.You can however go straight from left to right but it returns to centre to press cancel. No Auto cancel you cancel it manually.

NoYou
14-09-11, 11:15 PM
i take it you checked they're plugged in? mine have a habit of unplugging themselves :/ which causes a similar problem