NiteW4tcher
07-09-11, 08:13 PM
ohhh sorry blind as a bat

470four
08-09-11, 07:45 PM
ohhh sorry blind as a bat

LOL no worries!

EVERYONE - this rideout matters.

There will be a LOT of riders up and down the country doing this, if brought in the new EU laws will mean - sooner or later:

No motorcycles over 7 years old allowed in towns & citys.

No race upgrades to be sold for road-going motorcycles

No modifications to be made to the motorcycle. Nope. Not ANY.

Compulsary headlights on at all times

Compulsary ABS brakes

Compulsary long-sleeve hi-viz to be worn at all times

Etc... all written by suits who have by the look of it never even sat on a motorcycle and would rather be driven around on their Bentley. This is all as you can see complete overkill and will affect every one of us.

The plot is to meet up and arrange a slow - but legal - 45-50mph ride as a group down the motorway, making ourselves seen, as per attached link.

Whos up for this? DONT turn around and say "oooo yeah but I've got the walk the dog that day" etc and moan in a years time when all this has been brought in...

redken1
08-09-11, 08:09 PM
Count me in 470four. I have to say that I'm gob smacked by the apparent lack of opposition to what in essence is a 6 inch nail in the biking coffin.

Dabz
08-09-11, 08:12 PM
I don't believe that demonstrating will make a blind bit of difference to policies being discussed by the eu, so will be saving my fuel

Beamer
08-09-11, 08:15 PM
I can see the point in this and I am behind everyone who wants to demonstrate but please could the pressure/guilt/forcefulness stop !!!
Some people are unavailable for genuine reasons and there are others that really do not want to demonstate in this way...........we are all entitled to make our own choices in life and if a person decides they will not be demonstating then sobeit.
Good luck to you all and I do hope the point is made and those in power listen.....but (and I dont mean to be negative) I have a feeling the powers that be could use the demonstations as an example of why such things need to be brought in....to stop people having easy access to motorbiking.

redken1
08-09-11, 08:18 PM
With the greatest respect James, it could be the case that the 'powers that be' are testing the waters to gauge opposition to these proposals which could be the thin end of a very thick wedge.

Dabz
08-09-11, 08:29 PM
Could be, but I don't believe that. My personal view is that the eu won't bow to pressure from a load of bikers causing hassle for the authorities and other motorists by crowding the motorway and riding slowly down it. All it'll do is piss of non-bikers who ideally need to be on our side, not be pissed off by us

redken1
08-09-11, 08:33 PM
I can see the point in this and I am behind everyone who wants to demonstrate but please could the pressure/guilt/forcefulness stop !!!
Some people are unavailable for genuine reasons and there are others that really do not want to demonstate in this way...........we are all entitled to make our own choices in life and if a person decides they will not be demonstating then sobeit.
Good luck to you all and I do hope the point is made and those in power listen.....but (and I dont mean to be negative) I have a feeling the powers that be could use the demonstations as an example of why such things need to be brought in....to stop people having easy access to motorbiking.

Tina, please allow me to clarify what I was trying to say as it was certainly not my intention to put anyone under any pressure to attend the forthcoming demo. I was referring to the nationwide (not WB) attitude of the biking community towards the proposals. Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding.

Beamer
08-09-11, 08:39 PM
awww bless ya ken ....no worries my lovely x

redken1
08-09-11, 08:41 PM
awww bless ya ken ....no worries my lovely x
:-* :-* :-*

470four
08-09-11, 10:25 PM
I don't believe that demonstrating will make a blind bit of difference to policies being discussed by the eu, so will be saving my fuel

I believe Hitler and co. walked into Poland unopposed, the rest is history... Give them an inch and they will take a mile, you will save PLENTY of fuel when your bike(s) are tucked up in your garage because riding them on a public road is a royal PITA what with all the restrictions and red tape.

Yes - we will undoubtadly be noticed and that is the object, it is a demonstration and nothing else, we will be taking up one lane only so overtaking will be effortless for anyone else, hardly making us public enemy number one. 8-)

Tina - they are discussing these legislations WITHOUT any need for them or any demos from us in the first place!

Something needs to be done.

Dabz
09-09-11, 07:13 AM
If we're using hitler as a reference then those who opposed him were brutally murdered, tortured or had to flee the country :p they didn't walk slowly down one side of the road in the hope he'd change his mind ;)

Swanny
10-09-11, 02:23 PM
History has shown us time and time again that if we don't stand up for our rights we lose them.

I will stand against TPTB when they do something I disagree with.

Also remember that most bikers out there are unaware as to what is being proposed. It is up to us that do know to make a stand for all our fellow bikers.
Personally the thought of meeting up with and riding with a few thousand bikes sounds like a great way to spend a couple of hours on a sunday 8-)

470four
10-09-11, 03:06 PM
If we're using hitler as a reference then those who opposed him were brutally murdered, tortured or had to flee the country :p they didn't walk slowly down one side of the road in the hope he'd change his mind ;)

Hiding in their houses hoping they would just go away didnt work either & I would rather grow a pair & make a stand. :-* :P

Agreed, Swanny - this will only lead to other things if we let it drop in quietly, 99% of people are totally unaware of the proposal itself & the first they would see of it would be a letter through their front door.

Beamer
10-09-11, 04:18 PM
Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and just because one persons is different to anothers is not a reason to belittle the differing view..........and for your info 470four...I have grown a pair thank you very much.....they are just in a different place to yours !!!!!!!

470four
10-09-11, 04:23 PM
Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and just because one persons is different to anothers is not a reason to belittle the differing view..........and for your info 470four...I have grown a pair thank you very much.....they are just in a different place to yours !!!!!!!

Beamer - its just banter! Nobody is holding a gun to anybodys head saying they MUST turn up, if you dont want to then no prob. :-*

**(that sorted he trys in vain to lose the mental image of a Beamer with hairy plums) :D ;D :D

Beamer
10-09-11, 04:28 PM
hehe....mine aint hairy either :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

470four
10-09-11, 04:59 PM
hehe....mine aint hairy either :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

????? You wax your spuds??

OooOoOOoOOooOOoOOoOooOo!!

RESPECT. :o :D :o

FJ_Biker
10-09-11, 05:41 PM
Remember the Euro Demo's about 15 years ago, they got the 100bhp limit thrown out along with other anti bike polices

redken1
10-09-11, 08:20 PM
Remember the Euro Demo's about 15 years ago, they got the 100bhp limit thrown out along with other anti bike polices

When I lived in Scotland I attended all the big anti-poll tax demos. Prior to setting off for a biggen in Glasgow, I met a guy in my local pub who advised me that I was wasting my time and nothing would change. I never saw him again but, I retorted, if the will and numbers are there, public opinion can force any government to change direction. Make no mistake, ordinary people taking to the streets brought about the demise of the unfair tax and for me the icing on the cake was the fall of Mrs Thatcher. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

470four
10-09-11, 09:29 PM

When I lived in Scotland I attended all the big anti-poll tax demos. Prior to setting off for a biggen in Glasgow, I met a guy in my local pub who advised me that I was wasting my time and nothing would change. I never saw him again but, I retorted, if the will and numbers are there, public opinion can force any government to change direction. Make no mistake, ordinary people taking to the streets brought about the demise of the unfair tax and for me the icing on the cake was the fall of Mrs Thatcher. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Well said, Redken.
We can only do what we can do, a show of numbers should prove our discontent. :)

redken1
12-09-11, 08:22 PM
470four, I have just finished reading the EU ant-biking proposals in more depth. In my view, the draft bill relating to the proposed ban on motorcycles over 7 years old entering urban areas blatantly discriminates against Bikers because it does not apply to other vehicles. I’m certainly no legal eagle but, this part alone could be open to a legal challenge? I really hope that these proposals are kicked in to the long grass at the next EU deliberation in October.
Hitherto, Biking clubs and organizations freely decided on the route of a group ride but, in my opinion that right could be under serious threat. Please Correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation - if this particular proposal passes every hurdle and comes to fruition, organisers of rides will either have to pick a route avoiding designated urban areas or ban owners of bikes over 7 years old from participating?

Caz
12-09-11, 08:33 PM
Cant we sign a petition or something ::)

redken1
12-09-11, 08:37 PM

Caz, if you type in MAG there is info on their website on the campaign. I am writing to my MEP - nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

470four
12-09-11, 08:57 PM

Caz - if you are not happy about it then join us on the rideout, Im sure there will be other options explained to us at the time - if you can afford time and fuel for jollys down to the coast for fish&chips & icecream then Im sure we can spend our time and fuel doing something a little more meaningful ;)

A petition would be just another bit of paper sat on their desks, Im sure MAG would have us do something else if it got a better result! :)

Jon_W
13-09-11, 08:13 AM

There is a goverment consutation on this. If you go here you can fill it in.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-26/dft-2011-26-consultation.pdf

There is a petition, but it is IMO poorly drafted.

Col
14-09-11, 12:12 PM
'one lane' :( :( ---:-?

Jon_W
14-09-11, 12:35 PM
470four, I have just finished reading the EU ant-biking proposals in more depth. In my view, the draft bill relating to the proposed ban on motorcycles over 7 years old entering urban areas blatantly discriminates against Bikers because it does not apply to other vehicles. I’m certainly no legal eagle but, this part alone could be open to a legal challenge? I really hope that these proposals are kicked in to the long grass at the next EU deliberation in October.
Hitherto, Biking clubs and organizations freely decided on the route of a group ride but, in my opinion that right could be under serious threat. Please Correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation - if this particular proposal passes every hurdle and comes to fruition, organisers of rides will either have to pick a route avoiding designated urban areas or ban owners of bikes over 7 years old from participating?

Ken,

Can you post a link to this. Have been hunting for the original proposals for ages and cannot find them.

Jon_W
14-09-11, 12:55 PM
Hmmm. A different perspective. Worth a read of the whole site.

http://www.righttoride.eu/?p=7567

FJ_Biker
14-09-11, 01:53 PM
Hmmm. A different perspective. Worth a read of the whole site.

http://www.righttoride.eu/?p=7567

I have a lot of respect for Trevor Baird

Rossio
14-09-11, 02:10 PM
seems a bit of chinese whispers beem going on

Jon_W
14-09-11, 03:19 PM
seems a bit of chinese whispers beem going on

Indeed. I've come to this conclusion. :-/

FJ_Biker
14-09-11, 04:33 PM
To me you have to look at the bigger picture.

Take hi-vis for example. Last year it became law to ride with a full sleeve hi-vis jacket on in Southern Ireland, the law is not yet enforced. They are planning to enforce the law next year. France is now planning to put this into law. How long before it rolls on to other countries and next becomes EU law?

Like a lot of stuff that becomes law these days they drip feed it bit by bit so it appears over time without too many people noticing, or as some people say introduced by the back door.

If no one stands up and questions what is going on all these policies will slowly come in over time.

Also Anti-tampering although not on the books now is on papers in the EU proposed for all bikes built after 2017.

I agree the link Jon sent is correct for today, but the info on the MAG site is correct for the future and the proposed legislation is already floating around on white papers. As I said earlier the politicians will just be drip feed through bits of law until our freedom has gone.

That’s why I am going on the Demo

470four
14-09-11, 05:34 PM
To me you have to look at the bigger picture.

Take hi-vis for example. Last year it became law to ride with a full sleeve hi-vis jacket on in Southern Ireland, the law is not yet enforced. They are planning to enforce the law next year. France is now planning to put this into law. How long before it rolls on to other countries and next becomes EU law?

Like a lot of stuff that becomes law these days they drip feed it bit by bit so it appears over time without too many people noticing, or as some people say introduced by the back door.

If no one stands up and questions what is going on all these policies will slowly come in over time.

Also Anti-tampering although not on the books now is on papers in the EU proposed for all bikes built after 2017.

I agree the link Jon sent is correct for today, but the info on the MAG site is correct for the future and the proposed legislation is already floating around on white papers. As I said earlier the politicians will just be drip feed through bits of law until our freedom has gone.

That’s why I am going on the Demo

+1

Im not in the habit of believing any politicians and/or most of the blah I read online - so will still be attending rain or shine. :)

SupeRDel
14-09-11, 06:05 PM
I'm going along - this is something I must see...

A Harley doing 45mph - do they go that fast?

redken1
14-09-11, 06:09 PM
Jon, I typed in MAG and went on to their campaign section for info.

FJ_Biker
14-09-11, 07:17 PM
I would also like to point out to the doubters who read the right to ride link, just look at how the third driving licence was brought in and the effect it has had on biking with a lot less people now taking their test.

Basic summery of what happened
FEMA and other European riders rights groups tried their best to get on comities and change the draft document and were not successful. Next thing they publish the finished document with a very very short appeal time, so short no one was able to do anything about it.

This is what we are up against and should pay attention to white papers in Europe.

We must keep biking as free as possible. I would hate future generations to not have the chance to have biking as a choice.

alanTDM
14-09-11, 07:44 PM
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/5334

Iv signed it

470four
14-09-11, 08:29 PM

;D

Its called "slipstreaming", if we provide the wind protection, they may get up to 47mph :D

Jon_W
15-09-11, 07:50 AM

;D ;D ;D

Cheers Ken. will look.