PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Help Me With A Pair Of Boots?

Splash
17-09-11, 09:38 AM
Hi All,

I purchased a pair of Puma Hypersport 1000's from G Whites (11/08/2011) and when I got off the bike yesterday I noticed the Torsion bar had snapped :O

I've called the shop and they want to send them back to the supplier for assessment which leaves me a tad stuck as I won't have any boots!

Preferably I don't want to go and buy another pair so I wondered if someone had a pair of Size 7,8 lying around I could borrow for I would assume no longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks
Ash ;D

470four
17-09-11, 09:41 AM
I would take them back to GWhites and swap them for another new pair! :)

Splash
17-09-11, 09:45 AM
That's what I just went to do but she said because I've only had them a month and they are 'A Quality boot' they must be sent back :(

wiggy
17-09-11, 10:18 AM
There answer does not comply with trading standerds law they must replace or offer a full refund , or store credit to the value of the item,if they still want to mess you about id report them to dpt fair trading .then buy some magnums.hope you get sorted soon .

Ducatista
17-09-11, 10:43 AM
I have a pair of size 7 (40) sidi vertigo boots that you could borrow. I'm in Chippenham.
I am not certain they would fit you.

As others have said you should push back on the retailer and show them you know your rights. Quote the sales of goods act at them and don't let them fobb you off. Not having your boots will potentially prevent "life changing" injuries so I think that comes under the category of "significant inconvenience".

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace the goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'.

I'm happy to lend you mine as I have others pairs I can use, but you'd obviously need to collect and bring them back which is about 100 miles all in.
Hopefully you'll get a better offer.

470four
17-09-11, 11:31 AM
That's what I just went to do but she said because I've only had them a month and they are 'A Quality boot' they must be sent back :(

They clearly are NOT because they have prematurely broke. ;)

At this point I would have wanted to speak to the Manager etc?

Re: Ducatista's offer - may be cheaper and easier if you Paypaled her to cover postage & they got posted to you??

Splash
17-09-11, 11:45 AM
Thanks Guys, I'm going to phone again!

Ducatista - You're only 20 miles away from me so I'd probably just ride, I really appreciate your offer, I'll see what GW's say and I'll get back to you, its worth a try :)

Here it goes! I will be reading these posts while on the phone ;) ;D

Splash
17-09-11, 11:52 AM
Just Spoken to them... They said to call back Monday when the Supplier is open and they will see if they can find an alternative in the mean time...

The thing is I'll be fuming Monday because my job is "Procurement - Buying goods, returning them due to faults and hassling people to get what I want when I want, I'm a different relaxed guy on the weekends!" and when I'm in work I have so much self confidence that I will quote them everything on that bloody sales Act to get a result!

I think it is ridiculous! A boot lasting a month for £149.99 with an RRP of £249.99... You're having a laugh Puma!

Mark_Able
17-09-11, 12:34 PM
This isn't the first time they've tried this. They should be sending them back to the supplier themselves, and supplying you with replacements. Seems they expect you to do all the legwork. Cheeky twats if you ask me... >:(

Splash
17-09-11, 12:41 PM
Really?

They send to bring them in so I assume they are sending them back but without any replacements which I wasn't happy about, I guess I'll have to wait until Monday and see what I outcome is then.

:(

NoYou
17-09-11, 01:53 PM
Call em enough and throw legal crapola at them and they give in fairly quickly, works anywhere >_<

BB
17-09-11, 02:41 PM
You get better customer service from Tesco ::)

(just my opinion)

BB

NoYou
17-09-11, 02:43 PM
Its true i've lost all faith in GW rencently

Splash
17-09-11, 04:34 PM
Agree with you there BB.

Yes I'm not going to use GW for anything after this! There customer service is appalling! They will start to go down hill at some point! They have pretty much saturated the motorcycle market in the areas they have retail outlets... probably a good thing to!

RideSallyRide
17-09-11, 09:12 PM
I've had exactly the same dealings with GW's-purchased a pair of Sidi's & within about a month the zip fastening snapped!
They refused to replace & also said,like yourself, that they would have to be sent back to manufacturer for repair >:(

Because this was back in May & i wasn't happy to be without them for upto 2 weeks i've had to make do by using a length of wire to zip up each time.
It was agreed that i'd return them later on in the year for repair...
I insisted all details to be written in book before i left so they couldn't refuse responsibility 6 months down the line....

Good luck Ash...let us know how it goes :)

Ducatista
18-09-11, 09:04 AM
i've had to make do by using a length of wire to zip up each time

A small keyring works great.

Splash
18-09-11, 02:44 PM
I've had exactly the same dealings with GW's-purchased a pair of Sidi's & within about a month the zip fastening snapped!
They refused to replace & also said,like yourself, that they would have to be sent back to manufacturer for repair >:(

Because this was back in May & i wasn't happy to be without them for upto 2 weeks i've had to make do by using a length of wire to zip up each time.
It was agreed that i'd return them later on in the year for repair...
I insisted all details to be written in book before i left so they couldn't refuse responsibility 6 months down the line....

Good luck Ash...let us know how it goes :)

:O That is terrible!

I lost my winter gloves on the M5 today after my bag must of opened due to the wind on the zips and lost most of the contents so I now need new gloves and you guessed it, I'm not going to GW!! Muahaha! They don't deserve peoples money!

I'll let you know I'm going to call them tomorrow and go A.P.E especially after the day I have had (Bad Luck go away! I'm still smiling though!)
;D

Rabb
18-09-11, 03:37 PM
Hi Ash,
My plan of action would be (as others have said):
1. Ask to speak with the manager only.
2. Quote 'Sales of goods act 1974' (plus amendments in the Nineties)
Using the following phrase 'Goods not of merchantable quality at the time of sale'
3. Your 'contract of sale' is between you and the supplier (not the manufacturer) - this is for the supplier to sort out between themselves and the manufacturer - after such a short period of use it is un-reasonable that the zip should have broken in normal use.

When you speak with the manager don't be aggressive - just put your points across clearly and forcefully.
I hope that this is of help.
This is how I would deal with it.

Splash
18-09-11, 04:49 PM
Hi Rabb,

Thanks I'll take all these comments on board and get a little pitch ready to enforce.

I think its disgusting though! Break after a month which in that time I've ridden 1870 miles in them. Not acceptable!

I'll write back when I have an answer tomorrow :)

YMFB
18-09-11, 07:14 PM
Heine Gericke have excellent customer service in my experience. Both Southampton and Bournemouth stores have been good or ive been lucky. Fowlers at Bristol have also been helpful but not as good as HG.

I know thats no help to you and I don't know where your nearest HG branch is.

I have two pairs of boots, one pair of HG ankle boots and a pair of alpinestars SMX both are at least 5 years old and have given me no problems (apart from the squeak) and would replace like for if needed.

Davey
18-09-11, 07:51 PM
Just to give you the heads up the manager of the outlet is Martyn Guppy - oood luck as he's a nightmare to get hold of when I worked there. Bev might be another good one to speak to but unsure of her authority for refunds and exchanges.

and yet another thread to make me sooooo glad I'm out of the trade! :-/

RideSallyRide
18-09-11, 09:15 PM
i've had to make do by using a length of wire to zip up each time

A small keyring works great.

Ducatista-i've tried this but unfortunately because the main bit of the fastening is still attached it doesn't leave enough room for anything more than a paperclip which is useless!

speedy
18-09-11, 09:56 PM
ash ive got a pair size 42 oxtar,s you are welcome to borrow, i live in stratton.

Splash
19-09-11, 11:26 AM
Hi Speedy I've PM'd you! :D

Jon_W
19-09-11, 12:34 PM
Cheeky sods!!! Go give 'em hell. Stand you ground and do not budge until you are satified.

>:(

Splash
19-09-11, 12:49 PM
I Called them...

After getting in at 0500 this morning (Swindon) after an hour on the road from Worcester I really couldn't be bothered to argue so if 'Speedy' is okay with it I'll borrow his boots and let them send them away, they said turn around is about a week which right now I don't really care about, they have lost my business though! Off to fowlers for everything else now!

Rabb
19-09-11, 08:49 PM
I Called them...

After getting in at 0500 this morning (Swindon) after an hour on the road from Worcester I really couldn't be bothered to argue so if 'Speedy' is okay with it I'll borrow his boots and let them send them away, they said turn around is about a week which right now I don't really care about, they have lost my business though! Off to fowlers for everything else now!

Getting in at 05:00 - I can perfectly understand your reluctance for an argument!
If I had a pair of boots in your size - I'd lend them to you for the duration however, I'm a size 46.
- you could go sailing in them!

RideSallyRide
19-09-11, 11:44 PM
I rang 'Fowlers' today about something completely different but asked about their procedure as regards faulty items (boots in particular) & the guy said its in their best interest to keep the customer happy & he wouldn't hesitate to replace! I didn't mention any names ::)

Anyway Ash i hope they are repaired swiftly with no more hiccups...no harm in politely mentioning the fact that they have lost your future business!

Splash
20-09-11, 06:17 PM
Yes RideSallyRide I will mention that to them indeed ;)

& exactly the fact you have asked and he said that fills me with more confidence immediately!

HAHA RABB! Well funny you mention sailing the weather is probably good enough for it right now! :D & Yes after getting in at 0500 after no sleep since Sunday morning I wasn't in an arguing mood and didn't want to spoil a great weekend!