PDA

View Full Version : Autumnal riding

wiltshire builders
27-09-11, 10:13 PM
I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but thought this might help a few of the newer riders.
We've had a few nice sunny days and there are more on the way, but be aware that the sun is lower in the sky at this time of year. If it's behind you it makes it very hard for other road users to see you.
So next time you're on your way back from the mall after playing Santa, returning from the homless shelter after dropping off your old jacket, or on your way to church to leave a huge donation.
Just remember, if you are casting a shadow infront of you, other vehicles might not have seen you.

Nelly
27-09-11, 10:27 PM
Good Point.
And the are still damp leaves on the roads :(

Ryan
27-09-11, 10:34 PM
and ice soon ;( and mind the black ice, its impossible to see!

alanTDM
27-09-11, 10:41 PM
I have come across loads of Beech nuts and conkers on some of the roads,Beech nuts are like marbles,which is not good.

Jacde
28-09-11, 04:33 PM
I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but thought this might help a few of the newer riders.
Just remember, if you are casting a shadow infront of you, other vehicles might not have seen you.

I didn't know this, but I do now :) cheers Dan [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltsdan
28-09-11, 08:17 PM
Also tomorrow is pension day, so take into account all above and add some oap's with bad eye sight.

Mark_Able
28-09-11, 08:29 PM
Fresh tarmac. The road has been resurfaced between Trowbridge and B-o-A. I was told by a tarmacer that so the tarmac doesn't stick to the drain covers, they paint the covers with diesel! I've also found that it takes a few months before a new road surface offers a decent level of grip. There's a lot of oil substances involved in laying a new road. Unlike Pammy's T-shirt, it's worse when it's wet... :-?

Jon_W
29-09-11, 08:00 AM
And then there's the fog..... bl**dy horrible the last couple of mornings. Even worse because the sun shines into it and causes a white out.

As Mark says the road between Trow and B-o-A is slippery at the moment. Will also be leaf dropping time soon. More greasy sh*te in the roads.

FJ_Biker
29-09-11, 03:57 PM
I afraid to venture out now

jonnydangerous
29-09-11, 04:11 PM
good advice mate! its a good reminder to us "older" bikers too!
there also seems to be a lot of wind around at the mo, its pushed the bike across the road on more than one occasion...

Loops
29-09-11, 05:59 PM
I afraid to venture out now

Don't panic!

Just take it a bit easy on the roads and watch out for the people who have even less chance of seeing you than normal 8-)

wiltsdan
29-09-11, 06:29 PM
Very good weather at the moment so mus'nt grumble, make the most of it 8-)

SupeRDel
29-09-11, 06:41 PM
We've had a few nice sunny days and there are more on the way, but be aware that the sun is lower in the sky at this time of year. If it's behind you it makes it very hard for other road users to see you.
So next time you're on your way back from the mall after playing Santa, returning from the homless shelter after dropping off your old jacket, or on your way to church to leave a huge donation.

I was taking pix for a magazine article last night and just happened to get this.....

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/superdel/P9280014.jpg

Pity it was a bit blurred.. :-/

wiltshire builders
29-09-11, 08:07 PM
Phwoar...your shadow is huge! ;D Great example. You can even see the glow on the road. Anyone coming around that bend would be temporarily blinded.

Maz
29-09-11, 08:33 PM
Thanks! I didn't know this really good advice thank you!

My worst fear will be riding on leaves!

I've been out in the mornings and noticed the fog so have been extra carefull!

Xxx ;)

Maz
29-09-11, 08:36 PM
Anyone got a tip for a riding position in the wind? I was coming through melksham to Chippenham way and the wind was pretty bad then had a lorry coming my way and I was on a slight lean to get round a corner and it did make the bike wobble....

Thanks in advance

Maz

SupeRDel
29-09-11, 08:48 PM
Back in the 70's we would lay flat on the tank with left hand holding indicator and your feet on the rear pegs.

You may lok a bit stupid though... ;D

470four
29-09-11, 08:52 PM
Anyone got a tip for a riding position in the wind? I was coming through melksham to Chippenham way and the wind was pretty bad then had a lorry coming my way and I was on a slight lean to get round a corner and it did make the bike wobble....

Thanks in advance

Maz

Get a naked bike! Swapped my full fairing for half-fairings and its much less of a sail in sidewinds... :)

470four
29-09-11, 08:54 PM

I was taking pix for a magazine article last night and just happened to get this.....

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/superdel/P9280014.jpg

Pity it was a bit blurred.. :-/

Clearly photoshopped, the shadow is of a cowboy on a horse. :D ;D

wiltshire builders
29-09-11, 09:08 PM

Thanks in advance

Maz

Get a naked bike! Swapped my full fairing for half-fairings and its much less of a sail in sidewinds... :)

I'd rather quit riding! ;D

Col
29-09-11, 09:15 PM
Anyone got a tip for a riding position in the wind? I was coming through melksham to Chippenham way and the wind was pretty bad

Thanks in advance

Maz

Yes - don't get so close to the ar5e in front and lay off the curries and them dodgy kebabs ;)

470four
29-09-11, 09:22 PM
Anyone got a tip for a riding position in the wind? I was coming through melksham to Chippenham way and the wind was pretty bad

Thanks in advance

Maz

Yes - don't get so close to the ar5e in front and lay off the curries and them dodgy kebabs ;)

;D

Jon_W
30-09-11, 07:45 AM

Thanks in advance

Maz

;D ;D ;D

BladeTriple
30-09-11, 09:39 AM
Fresh tarmac. The road has been resurfaced between Trowbridge and B-o-A. I was told by a tarmacer that so the tarmac doesn't stick to the drain covers, they paint the covers with diesel! I've also found that it takes a few months before a new road surface offers a decent level of grip. There's a lot of oil substances involved in laying a new road. Unlike Pammy's T-shirt, it's worse when it's wet... :-?

Thanks for the heads up on that Mark, really handy to know :)

Maz
30-09-11, 08:51 PM
I think it's them Indians lol! I'll make sure I keep a bog roll in the fridge in case I **** myself out on a ride haha
;D ;D ;D

Morticia
05-10-11, 08:56 AM
Oh, I don't know, car drivers always say "sorry, mate, didn't see you" anyway. WInter, summer, early mornings, late evenings, we're almost invisible :D

Morticia
05-10-11, 08:59 AM

Thanks in advance

Maz

I don't know bout tips, have always found it difficult, especially on the sv as it's naked. But I've come to enjoy wobbling, and the lorries gusts always make me giggle. No matter how many times it happens, it always catches me unaware..

Loops
05-10-11, 06:01 PM

Thanks in advance

Maz

I don't know bout tips, have always found it difficult, especially on the sv as it's naked. But I've come to enjoy wobbling, and the lorries gusts always make me giggle. No matter how many times it happens, it always catches me unaware..

I just go for the 'learn where it might be windy, and watch out for them' method as it's less worrying when you're expecting it!

Things like appearing from beside lorries, gaps in hedges, bushes next to the road waving about etc