PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the bike

SupeRDel
02-10-11, 09:54 AM
Mate at work told me how his biker mate got done for not wearing a crash helmet last week.

His bike had broken down and he was pushing it with the helmet on the handle bars?

Same copper also done him for a wrongly positioned Tax disc and an illegal number plate.

Seemed a bit harsh to me. I will ask a few more detailed questions this week

470four
02-10-11, 10:00 AM
Yep, legal requirement to wear a helmet whilst in control of the bike. :-/

Plod was a bit hard on the bloke for making him wear one in this heat??! Sure this wasnt our friend in Westbury?? :)

silly_simon
02-10-11, 10:22 AM
Same copper also done him for a wrongly positioned Tax disc

Del where was this positioned too then ??

470four Yep was most probably mr cheerfull :( :(

470four
02-10-11, 10:26 AM
Same copper also done him for a wrongly positioned Tax disc

Del where was this positioned too then ??

470four Yep was most probably mr cheerfull :( :(

+1, where was his disc?

SupeRDel
02-10-11, 10:37 AM
Apparently the helmet was hanging on his bars. I have to ask more questions.

Was he sat astride the bike pushing it or beside?

As far as I know a tax disc should be easily readable from the path.

Nooj
03-10-11, 12:02 AM
Copper must be a right twat for ticketing something like that.

IIRC a tax disk must be located in front of the rider's seat on the nearside of the bike.

Hunar
03-10-11, 12:48 AM
I hope it is PC Williamson..........

Cos if not then we have another as***le giving the Police a bad name.

Probably not what the front line officers want.

Look on the bright side, his colleagues probably hate him just as much as we do.

Last Train
03-10-11, 08:28 AM
I hope it is PC Williamson..........

Cos if not then we have another as***le giving the Police a bad name.

Probably not what the front line officers want.

Look on the bright side, his colleagues probably hate him just as much as we do.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

BladeTriple
03-10-11, 12:01 PM
Jesus wept, how petty can they be ? It must have been a sLOW crime day in Wiltshire, didn't he have gangs of kids on peds to hassle ? >:(

Blackandchrome
03-10-11, 12:10 PM
Last Train!

Me olde eyes are struggling here.
Is that smiley sign reading "Yeah That" or "Yeah Twat"?
Both entirely suitable of course. ;)

Loops
03-10-11, 06:11 PM
IIRC a tax disk must be located in front of the rider's seat on the nearside of the bike.

Does it really? Mine is back by the rear wheel on my CBR....can't really see anywhere to put it further forward where it wouldn't be behind a body panel and totally invisible!

Does seem a tad harsh ticketing for no helmet when actually pushing a bike - it's hot work in the heat we've had lately!

Wes
03-10-11, 06:22 PM
Thats very harsh >:( what a nobber

redken1
03-10-11, 06:31 PM
Whilst it may be the letter of the law, such heavy-handed action is hardly conducive to good police community relations. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Nelly
03-10-11, 06:47 PM
Yup, friend of mine was done for the same thing back in the mid 80's >:(

Col
04-10-11, 12:25 PM
This plod muppet is wrong ::)--he would be better used as the doughnut runner imho ;D

Disc to face kerb---irrelevant front or rear

Helmets worn when riding a motorcycle

Have a nice day :)

Jon_W
10-10-11, 08:06 AM
My dad got warned for this a few years back as he was pushing one of his home on a summers day he had his hat on the bars.

As to the tax disc, it has to be located on the nearside front of the bike. Same as a car.

Is heavy handed though...... >:(

Col
12-10-11, 05:25 AM
My dad got warned for this a few years back as he was pushing one of his home on a summers day he had his hat on the bars.

As to the tax disc, it has to be located on the nearside front of the bike. Same as a car.

Is heavy handed though...... >:(

Wrong Jon--show me the law that states this and about the helmet ?????

Pushed bikes many times and no plod has ever wasted my time/life wittering about wearing a helmet and when pulled over 'cough' no comment whatsoever about disc being on rear of bike.

I admit to being caught pushing my bike along a country lane cos it went ping and weren't taxed/insured but it was me scrambler and I was 14 ;D ;D ;D----bit unfortunate that cos was almost home :D

Rossio
12-10-11, 05:56 AM

>:(

This is also what our local constabulary told me when i used to race around on my dt50/125's, and i used to push my off roaders as a young teen up the road to get to our fields and one day they said i had to remove my spark plug other wise i was commiting an offence! My old man had a polite...ish word and strangely i never got told to take the spark plug out again :D

Jon_W
12-10-11, 10:50 AM
Wrong Jon--show me the law that states this and about the helmet ?????

Pushed bikes many times and no plod has ever wasted my time/life wittering about wearing a helmet and when pulled over 'cough' no comment whatsoever about disc being on rear of bike.

I admit to being caught pushing my bike along a country lane cos it went ping and weren't taxed/insured but it was me scrambler and I was 14 ;D ;D ;D----bit unfortunate that cos was almost home :D

RTFM and let me know when you find it!

Passing on as given information. Have always used this and never got any stick.

silly_simon
12-10-11, 11:27 AM
Right been doing some digging on this one and I came across this site HERE (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2742/contents/made)

In particular this exerpt maybe of use :)

Exhibition of vehicle and nil licences
6.—(1) When a vehicle licence or nil licence has been delivered to the Secretary of State with an application for a replacement licence, no licence need be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle to which the licence relates until the replacement licence is obtained.

(2) Except where paragraph (1) applies, the manner in which any vehicle licence or nil licence in force for a vehicle is to be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in accordance with the provisions of section 33(1) or (1A) of the 1994 Act, when it is used or kept on a public road, is that specified in the following provisions of this regulation.

(3) Each such licence shall be fixed to the vehicle in a holder sufficient to protect the licence from the weather to which it would otherwise be exposed.

(4) The licence shall be exhibited on the vehicle—

(a)in the case of an invalid vehicle, tricycle or bicycle, other than in a case specified in sub-paragraph (b) or (c) of this paragraph, on the near side of the vehicle;.
(b)in the case of a bicycle drawing a side-car or to which a side-car is attached, on the near side of the handlebars of the bicycle or on the near side of the side-car;.
(c)in the case of any vehicle fitted with a glass windscreen in front of the driver extending across the vehicle to its near side, on or adjacent to the near side of the windscreen;.
(d)in the case of any other vehicle—.
(i)if the vehicle is fitted with a driver’s cab containing a near side window, on that window; or.
(ii)on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driver’s seat and not less than 760 mm and not more than 1.8 metres above the surface of the road..
(5) In each case referred to in paragraph (4), the licence shall be so exhibited that all the particulars on the licence are clearly visible in daylight from the near side of the road.

.Previous: ProvisionNext: ProvisionBack to top
Options/Help