PDA

View Full Version : How to persuade...

Jon_W
17-10-11, 11:21 AM
I need help. I am trying to persuade Em that she need to ride a geared bike, not just the twist and go scooter.... have tried every angle I can think of.... and it's not working!

Any ideas...... apart from Give up! :o

Squashed_Fly
17-10-11, 12:15 PM
I have a similar issue. All I can say, is the more you try and force persuade them, the more it tends to put them off.

If someone doesn't want to do something, probably best to leave it?

Besides - bike time is my time. Not sure I want to share it with 'er indoors. It's the best bit of peace and quiet I get! (and she gets as well I'm sure!) ;D

Dabz
17-10-11, 12:19 PM
I said nothing to Hazel and she decided of her own accord to do her CBT and then her full test! Was really fun chasing her round the Dorset/Somerset/Wilts countryside yesterday on her 1st ride on the 500!

Blackandchrome
17-10-11, 12:35 PM
Jon.
Have you tried the opposite tack?
Its the worse thing Em could ever do....
Biggest mistake is to ride a two wheeled vehicle with a manual gearchange; as it is too challenging for the weaker sex.
It is a mans world only when it comes to nifty gearchanging on a motorbike......
Failing that, I believe Honda and Aprillia do an auto motorcycle? :)

JohnS
17-10-11, 12:42 PM
I need help. I am trying to persuade Em that she need to ride a geared bike, not just the twist and go scooter.... have tried every angle I can think of.... and it's not working!

Tell her that the scooter "doesn't go with what she's wearing" or tell her that her "bum looks big on it" she'll soon change it for a proper bike! lol

Jon_W
17-10-11, 12:49 PM
Tell her that the scooter "doesn't go with what she's wearing" or tell her that her "bum looks big on it" she'll soon change it for a proper bike! lol

No. All that will happen is that I get a slap!! :o

Gerry
17-10-11, 01:32 PM
Jon.
Have you tried the opposite tack?
Its the worse thing Em could ever do....
Biggest mistake is to ride a two wheeled vehicle with a manual gearchange; as it is too challenging for the weaker sex.
It is a mans world only when it comes to nifty gearchanging on a motorbike......
Failing that, I believe Honda and Aprillia do an auto motorcycle? :)

Lol… in my experience reverse psychology stops working with females when they are about six years old ;D

Think you already have the answer yourself in your first post - give up and let her do exactly what she wants to do (and have a happy, contented life) 8-)

Could be worse, she may only want to ride a horse :-/

Good luck...
G :)

Hunar
17-10-11, 02:22 PM
u could try booking her in with mr able and his team for a taster? It might be she is just a tad nervous about riding a geared bike? A car-park lesson with mr able might change her mind for you?

Jon_W
17-10-11, 02:47 PM
u could try booking her in with mr able and his team for a taster? It might be she is just a tad nervous about riding a geared bike? A car-park lesson with mr able might change her mind for you?

She did her CBT on a geared bike and didn't like it.... hence the reluctance to move away from the scoot....

My line has been that one day's worth of riding isn't enough to get used to gears and she needs to practice more.

Beamer
17-10-11, 04:35 PM

WHY ???

Why would you want to persuade her to change what SHE wants for something YOU want for her.........Im sure shes old enough to make her own decisions.

To be honest I would be a rebel and just go against what you want just to pee you off hehehe

No-one should be what they dont want to be and do what they dont want to do (thats why I always wear odd socks to work hehe...Its my own personal way of saying 'stuff you' to conformity...hehe I know thats pretty daft but hey since when have I been 'normal'?)

So, stand your ground Mrs Jon W......you do what you want ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
17-10-11, 05:34 PM
Some people aren't cut out for it. I've been in the same position as you and couldn't understand why girlfriends didn't get enthusiastic about doing the same sports as me.
It always ended up the same way. I'd convince them that they were missing out and that it was easy/fun, they'd get scared, put off and never try it again.
I was completely in the wrong.
You shouldn't put pressure on her, imagine how you'd feel if she did it then something happened to her.
It has to be her decision.

Geordie Stu
17-10-11, 05:42 PM
Get her along to the next free Able Training event [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

NiteW4tcher
17-10-11, 05:44 PM
change the scoor for a bike in middle of the night and pray she doesnt notice? ;D

Swanny
17-10-11, 05:52 PM
Get her one of those Honda DN-1's

http://www.huntsmotorcycles.co.uk/HondaNewBikeImages/2008Bikes/2008_DN01_Black_1.jpg

The New ‘Twist-and Go’ Performance Cruiser

The remarkable new NSA 700A DN-01 takes to the avenues and winding roads of Europe with peerless performance and incomparable riding ease in a distinctly modern and sporty form that invites its riders to rediscover the profound joys of motorcycling on an all-new roadster—or ‘Ridester’—that offers wide appeal. The future calls, and the new Honda DN-01 answers with a totally new concept in motorcycle riding enjoyment.

:-?

redken1
17-10-11, 08:19 PM
Jon, I would love my wife to come on the back of my bike with me like she did when we were younger. She refuses point blank and I respect her decision and get on with it. I certainly wouldn’t put her under any pressure.

StreetHippo
18-10-11, 03:12 PM
Get her a Gilera GP800, that'll do it!! Embaress a few geared bikes along the way!!
Or a VFR 1200F with a flappy paddle or full auto box!!!

Stu

Jon_W
18-10-11, 03:38 PM
Get her a Gilera GP800, that'll do it!! Embaress a few geared bikes along the way!!

Stu

Yes, I've seen a few autos, not bad at all, a damed sight better than the old Hondamatic!!!

Honda DN-01
Aprillia Mana
Gilera Ferro - I have to say that looks damed good!
Yamaha FJR1200

Need to get her to do her test first.... not sure if you can ride the semi-autos on an automatic lisence though... :P

jonnydangerous
18-10-11, 03:57 PM
why?....
have you ever seen a 400 bergman go???.....not at all tame!!!...
there are some good bits of kit out there quite cheap, let her have what she feels good on and she may want to ride it a bit more?

everyones a winner, she has a "capable" scoot, and you get to go out with her a bit more often?????.........

....hmmmm, now im having thoughts about a track-day twist and go....hmmmmmmm............

Snowy
18-10-11, 05:48 PM

Stu

Yes, I've seen a few autos, not bad at all, a damed sight better than the old Hondamatic!!!

Honda DN-01
Aprillia Mana
Gilera Ferro - I have to say that looks damed good!
Yamaha FJR1200

Need to get her to do her test first.... not sure if you can ride the semi-autos on an automatic lisence though... :P

Forget the FJR1200 - only real men like Hunar can ride those ;D There is an FJR1300 with a missing clutch lever though.....

BB
18-10-11, 07:25 PM
I'm with Beamer on this one - leave her alone and let her do what she want's to 8-)

Mind you, those Bergmans don't half shift! :P

BB

Cemorah
18-10-11, 07:47 PM
Is it not enough that she rides a bike?
If Em is not comfortable with gears leave well alone . You risk putting her off completely with your nagging ;D

Jon_W
19-10-11, 10:31 AM
Is it not enough that she rides a bike?
If Em is not comfortable with gears leave well alone . You risk putting her off completely with your nagging ;D

Not nagging.... would never nag her. Granted the tone of my post is that of nagging, but have never nagged her. Hence the persuasion.

Em is a very good Scoot Rider and ride with her quite a bit. But she want's to go faster that the 125.... TBH, I wasn't aware that there were so many autos about so I may give in and accept that the auto is here to stay!!! :D