PDA

View Full Version : what to buy next advice??

zachl
09-10-11, 12:50 PM
afternoon people.

i have an 07 sv 650 sport that has sold and is being picked up on Tuesday and trying to decide what to have next is melting my brain....

i kinda want something that doesn't exist, well i don't think it does

my budget it up to about 4k maybe a bit over for the right bike. i want to move away from v-twin, its just not for me, i used to have a cbr 600 and did like the way that rode/sounded.

im thinking of a 600. im about 5ft11 and slim, i dont ride it like its stolen, its just a toy i like to relieve some stress on and enjoy the weather. i do like to have a bit of pace there mind..

i'm currently thinking of a k6 gsxr 600 or maybe a cbr 600 rr, i love the look of the gsxr and although too much for my needs really i think its a good bike.

my dilemma is that i know it will kill my wrists/back on longer journeys, and i would love to do a bit of traveling, Europe etc so i then started thinking of z1000's and suchlike, and then that i really dont think i could put up with being battered by the wind..

so i need your noggins to help me if you can, i want a racey looking bike but with a bit of comfort. ideally fairly new, withing the last 10 years at least.

NiteW4tcher
09-10-11, 01:19 PM
im same height as u and slim.....i have a k6 gsxr-750.

and ive done some serious miles on it....personally i find the gsxr not that bad on the wrists (compared to kwakers) not ridden a cbr so cannot say.

+ being a 750 it has more midrange than a 600 so cruises easier (no gear box dancing lol)

i belive the gsxr 750 makes a good comprimise for a tourer ...obviously im bias ;D but thats my out look on the gsxr option for you.

put a double bubble screen on for extra wind protection.....

thats my 2 pence :)

470four
09-10-11, 01:21 PM
Im thinking triples - Triumph?

Get a few test rides in, there is a Triumph dealership just around the corner from George Whites in Swindon :)

Good lowdown torque for touring etc, plus THAT triple sound!

Had the same dilemma - would LOVE a 916 but no pillion comfort, plus my wrists would be black within 30 miles... settled for a 900SS - raised bars, better peg position, proper seat etc...

Never rode one of the Triples but heard good things about them! ;)

zachl
09-10-11, 01:58 PM
hadnt thought of a 750 mr watcher as assumed it would be heavier, but will have a look now?

and have had a few quick looks at the triumphs and tbh may go and have a look at some, i know NOTHING about them tho, a daytona had crossed my mind tho

NiteW4tcher
09-10-11, 02:14 PM
hardly any weight differnece just more grunt ;D the extra 150cc gives more midrange and makes "touring" easier on the gear changes...the gear roll on is better so u dont waste ur time jumping down a gear when u just want to do a fast over take.

my bike only kills me when i ride it like its stolen....if i have a nice lesuirly ride its fine

NoYou
09-10-11, 02:28 PM
if it were my money i'd go for a triumph street/speed triple you can get a lil screen for em that directs the wind above your head i believe... they do look a bit gimp though

zachl
09-10-11, 02:36 PM
a bit gimp? i think they look ugly as sin lol

NoYou
09-10-11, 02:40 PM
a bit gimp? i think they look ugly as sin lol
gimp.. asin weird and crappy xD and i'm only talkin about the screen not the whole bike xD i love the bike itself^^

BB
09-10-11, 02:45 PM
Just get out there and test ride as many different styles as you can and see what feels right for you 8-)

BB

Rabb
09-10-11, 05:57 PM
Yeh as BB says - try before you buy!
Ride as many as possible - and maybe buy in January when dealers / private buyers need the cash!

zachl
09-10-11, 06:15 PM
yeh good idea, ideally dont want to wait that long tho...

anybody recommend any sport tourers, just had a quick look at the triumph sprint st's but those headlights are fugly!!

470four
09-10-11, 06:20 PM
Had a 2002 VFR800 VTEC for a while - TOP pillion bike with the topbox/backrest & panniers, only compliant was that is was quite heavy, and a dare I say a bit bland... :-/

zachl
09-10-11, 06:30 PM
hmmm cant do heavy, i think my sv was heavy enough and even that isnt particularly heavy

Rabb
09-10-11, 06:56 PM
hmmm cant do heavy, i think my sv was heavy enough and even that isnt particularly heavy

I think you've already made your mind up?
You mentioned GSXR & CBR RR - I am biased (I ride a GSXR)

NiteW4tcher
09-10-11, 06:59 PM
750 baby all the way :D

silly_simon
09-10-11, 07:25 PM
Yammy FZ1 or even one like mine FZS 1000 :)

If you give me enough notice I can uncover mine for you to try for size :o But can't let you try it as its untaxed :(

zachl
09-10-11, 07:30 PM
I haven't made up my mind at all it's just that kinda fits most of the bill really. The 750 is a fair bit more than the 600 tho. Will have to wait to find a nice one in budget

NiteW4tcher
09-10-11, 07:49 PM
u can buy my 750.................if u wanna put it all back together ;D

zachl
09-10-11, 09:24 PM
Gaffa tape and pollyfilla :)

NiteW4tcher
09-10-11, 09:26 PM
Gaffa tape and pollyfilla :)

yeah why not ;D

BladeTriple
10-10-11, 09:39 AM
afternoon people.

im thinking of a 600. im about 5ft11 and slim, i dont ride it like its stolen, its just a toy i like to relieve some stress on and enjoy the weather. i do like to have a bit of pace there mind..

i'm currently thinking of a k6 gsxr 600 or maybe a cbr 600 rr, i love the look of the gsxr and although too much for my needs really i think its a good bike.

Zachl,

I found the GSXR incredibily uncomfortably, I'm 5ft11 too and 34 inch of leg so really struggled with my GSXR1000, I only put 4000 miles on it in 2 years because I hated getting on it. Not so much the wrists but the cramp in my legs . The GSXR is a 'RIDE IN' rather than a 'RIDE ON' like the CBR600 and the Fireblade.

Older Fireblades and the like are bigger bikes , wider with a bit longer wheel base so maybe easier to get on with, I had the 2001 Fireblade, the 929 and loved it, but got rid when I saw the shiny gsxr.

I've moved onto the Speed Triple (my 2nd having written one off) because it is very comfortable, it's a tall bike , I can put both feet flat on the floor , stand up and have next to no space between my bum and the seat, meaning it is brilliant for my leggy bod! It has a claimed 128bhp at the rear wheel, 55 down on the GSXR1000 but I find the power delivery more useable and it only gets uncomfy above 120mph depending on how bad the wind is.

Losing the fairing was a concern of mine and some days when it is really windy , yes I do miss it , but more and more people are going for the naked muscle bikes like the Speed Triple. I swear by mine , it looks different, it isn't everyones taste but we are all different in what we want from biking but the way the power is delivery is really nice , its great for pootling round town and you can really wind it up on the twisties .

Like has been said countless times before, go out and try something different , make sure you test ride first tho, I never test rode the GSXR1000 and regretted it , lovely looking bikes don't always make great bikes to ride especially if you're a tall bugger!

Happy hunting

Lis'

Mikkie1986
10-10-11, 09:50 AM
Come and see me at work. (Blade Swindon) Ride the 675 Daytona for a couple of hours if you fancy?

The ones we have are more than 4k but im sure i could hunt one down and it would give you a good run on a triple 675!! ;)

Mike

Jon_W
10-10-11, 10:26 AM
Ron Haslam used CBR600rr's and I found then small once sat on. (I'm only 5'7") I found the GSXR much more comfortable.

Personally I'd look at an older CBR or a prehaps even a speed four Triumph.

zachl
10-10-11, 04:59 PM
Loads of info there cheers lis'. Always good to hear other people experiences.

I will give you a shout mike definitely, would be nice to get on one and see how it rides

zachl
29-10-11, 06:11 PM
anyone ridden a z750/z1000?

went to the george whites sale today to have a look around and went into triumph, really liked the idea of the street triple until i saw it in person, really not keen on that look,

quite like the daytona's tho so may get a ride on one of those

Wes
29-10-11, 08:06 PM
Mate of mines around the same size as you describe and had a gsxr 7fiddy, i had a ride on it plenty of times and despite being larger frame found the bike to be very accommodating, good power delivery, light as well. :)

Mark_Able
29-10-11, 08:28 PM
My FZ1 is brill, except no fairing. I'd go for the faired version. Z750/1000 is same as mine, so no good on long journeys. If you want smaller capacity, FZ8? Or for less sponduliks, Yamaha Thundercat. Cheap, comfortable, big fairing, reliable, ecomonical, good for pillions, what more do you want? And there's one in Phoenix with bugger all miles on it... ;)
I wouldn't even consider touring on a GSXR of any kind. That's not to say they're not fantastic bikes, just not a tourer... :o

zachl
29-10-11, 09:04 PM
cheers will have a look at them

anyone ridden a daytona?

like this one.........less the union jack

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201134411834208/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/price-from/3000/model/daytona/make/triumph/postcode/ba147hf/radius/1501/page/4?logcode=p

gibbo
30-10-11, 10:19 AM
See if you can have a test ride on a MK1 CBF 1000. I'd put it in the category as a sports tourer. If you can find one with full luggage, then all the better. Not the blingest of bikes but rock solid with the detuned fireblade engine. Nice upright position and sat behind a screen. It's the best bike I've ever owned.