PDA

View Full Version : A decent set of winter gloves?

Splash
31-10-11, 11:27 AM
So winter is almost on our doorstep and after loosing my old winter gloves on the M5 after my bag magically opened itself I need a new pair...

I have been looking at Alpinestars Vega Drystar...

But what else are people suggesting? I ride year round and so this year I want to go with a glove that'll last with Gore-Tex or Drystar by Alpinestar.... I just wondered what you winter riders use?

I commute Dual carriageways to work (10 Miles) and motorways at the weekend (120 Miles)

Cheers!

Snowy
31-10-11, 12:14 PM
I have a pair of Alpinestars 365 gloves which are goretex and fully waterproof. I would'nt use them when the weather is very cold though as they are not that warm and for those times I use heated gloves as not even heated grips are good enough to keep my hands warm! I have Powerlet heated gloves which are similar to Gerbing.

If you need a cheaper alternative for winter riding I would suggest muffs as a good choice.

Trev
31-10-11, 01:24 PM
Thanks for posting, I'm also after a pair of waterproof gloves but prefer the sportsglove feel and, although would like a reasonable level of warmth, I'm not looking for the ultimate protection from the cold as rarely use my bike for commuting.
I'll be interested to hear any recommendations.

Jon_W
31-10-11, 01:35 PM
Alplnestars.... The best I've ever had. Warm, waterproof and comfortable.

Em has Frank Thomas an she says the same about them.

Kevinb
31-10-11, 02:29 PM
I've got a pair of Triumph touring gloves I've had for five years plus, they are excellent. 170 miles to newquay in March freezing cold and raining the whole way. They did eventually let the water in but still good

Dabz
31-10-11, 03:20 PM
Another vote here for Aplinestars (and I know BB has the same ones too) - really warm and comfy, totally waterproof. They were about £125 I think (this was about 4 years back) but worth every penny

FJ_Biker
31-10-11, 04:53 PM
I vote Oxford muffs, they might not look trendy but they work a treat.

I commute on the motorway everyday through the winter in summer gloves with these over my handle bars.

Splash
31-10-11, 05:29 PM
Taffy's choice of Muffs has been lingering in my mind for sometime today!

Jon W, Dabs - I think I might bite the bullet and go straight for some Alpinestars, a lot of the reviews are very good with about 1 in 10 being slightly pessimistic...

:o

BB
31-10-11, 06:58 PM
Another vote here for Aplinestars (and I know BB has the same ones too) - really warm and comfy, totally waterproof. They were about £125 I think (this was about 4 years back) but worth every penny

Not cheap but good gloves 8-)

BB

Nelly
31-10-11, 07:03 PM
Yup, got to agree. Ive had a pair of Alpine Stars for a couple of years. Well worth the dosh! 8-)

Loops
31-10-11, 07:59 PM
I've also added a set of Acerbis hand guards (http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/acerbis-uniko-handguards-inc-fitting-kit-p-9249.html?utm_campaign=products&utm_medium=BaseFee d1&utm_source=GoogleBase1) to the CG - not the most stylish look but they help keep some of the wind and rain off. I would get back from a wet ride and my fingers would still be dry as they've been sheltered.

Trev
31-10-11, 09:49 PM

Thanks Jon, are yours the 365 or another alpinestars type?

Splash
01-11-11, 07:10 AM
After further looking into muffs, I'm going to leave them on the back burner for now as a few people mentioned the air pressing against the mitts and onto the Clutch & Brake leavers...

More reading and browsing today I think! 8-)

Rabb
02-11-11, 12:05 AM
Go and buy yourself some silk liner gloves - if it's good enough for the Himalayas - it'll work in the UK.

Jon_W
02-11-11, 10:29 AM

Will have a look.... they are old and well worn, I know that!!!!

FJ_Biker
02-11-11, 11:20 AM
Ash if you want to have a loan of the Oxford Muffs let me know.

What you read about the muffs pressing on the leavers is correct, about 70mph and my clutch lever presses in enough to cause it to slip. As I only tend to use them when the temperature is below 3 degrees I try to keep to 60mph to keep wind chill down so this is not a problem.

The other thing you might find on your bike is they limit the movement of the handle bars at they will touch the plastics on full lock.

The other problem I get with mine is they sometimes knock the kill switch, so I tape this in the run position when using muffs.

I don’t use expensive gloves to commute; instead I alternate between about 4 pairs so I always have dry hands when I set off. My experience is all gloves leak in the end it is just the more expensive ones take longer to get to that point.

I also find silk gloves good

I have never used Handle bar heaters but this is another option to look at

House
07-11-11, 04:22 PM
I'm in the same boat here, went out yesterday evening and can only just feel my hands now. What are the heated gloves like in reality?

Mitch9128
07-11-11, 05:31 PM
One of the best winter gloves out there at the moment http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_2944_Warm_N_Dry_Gore-Tex_Motorcycle_Gloves?sc=16&category=139

Splash
07-11-11, 06:15 PM
Thanks Taffy,

I'll see how I go for now, still haven't as yet quite need to get anything warmers I'm happy with my Leather summer gloves and a liner until about 6 degrees for my commute (11.9 miles on the A419 in Swindon, I should just man it out really!

@bj
07-11-11, 09:52 PM
I'm in the same boat here, went out yesterday evening and can only just feel my hands now. What are the heated gloves like in reality?

Some years ago I used to commute Bristol/London regularly in the middle of winter - after testing various solutions including muffs, heated grips - only heated gloves actually delivered...

Muffs - good for round town - but not so good for the motorway - press on the levers at speed...

Heated grips - are just like the emporers new clothes - its the outside of your grip that gets cold - not the inside - don't go there.

Heated gloves with heating elements on the outside of your grip - will keep your hands happy even in frosty conditions for hour after hour... I highly reccomend...

Snowy
07-11-11, 10:05 PM

Some years ago I used to commute Bristol/London regularly in the middle of winter - after testing various solutions including muffs, heated grips - only heated gloves actually delivered...

Muffs - good for round town - but not so good for the motorway - press on the levers at speed...

Heated grips - are just like the emporers new clothes - its the outside of your grip that gets cold - not the inside - don't go there.

Heated gloves with heating elements on the outside of your grip - will keep your hands happy even in frosty conditions for hour after hour... I highly reccomend...

Agree with Oakley on this one. I have a Powerlet heated jacket liner and their heated gloves which are pretty much the same as the Gerbings offerings. Heated grips are great but in cold weather you still get cold on the outside of your hands. With heated gloves your fingers remain toasty all the time. With a heated jacket liner as well the whole of your upper body remains warm which helps maintain your core temperature which in turn helps keeping the rest of your body warm.

If you buy some make sure they fit snuggly with the gear you will wear - if they are too baggy you lose the heat.

@bj
07-11-11, 10:08 PM
One of the best winter gloves out there at the moment http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_2944_Warm_N_Dry_Gore-Tex_Motorcycle_Gloves?sc=16&category=139

getgeared - haven't come across it before - but first impressions - looks quality - thanks. Gloves look neat as well...

Also - your avitar - can you post a link to the original - I just need to inspect the photographic quality... :)

Mitch9128
07-11-11, 10:16 PM

getgeared - haven't come across it before - but first impressions - looks quality - thanks. Gloves look neat as well...

Also - your avitar - can you post a link to the original - I just need to inspect the photographic quality... :)

Get Geared sell some great quality kit, there is a shop in Leatherhead as well. IIRC the returns are free also.

And yeah that is my bike, at the vineyard past Devizes :D

@bj
07-11-11, 10:27 PM
cheers for quick response...!!! :)
haha - notice how you say - thats my bike - as opposed to thats my bitch - can tell its photoshopped as the lighting conditions don't quite match up...

but not a criticisim - good effort...

Nooj
07-11-11, 11:24 PM
Muffs are great, get the Tucano ones with holes for the bar end weights to poke through and they won't press on the levers.

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/tucano-urbano/bar-muffs-r361-neoprene-bar-end-weight.html

The Missus does a 140 mile commute four times a week with hers and they've never given her any trouble over the last two winters and she can wear her summer gloves all year round with heated grips as well. Unbeatable combination.

Jon_W
08-11-11, 07:52 AM

Will have a look.... they are old and well worn, I know that!!!!

Mine are Alpinestars "Jet Road" Gloves. As I say, old as the hills.

Chappers
10-11-11, 01:15 PM
For me, at any price range, so far I haven't found any better (warm / dry / fit) winter gloves than these cheapo spada's. My old (and 3x the price) AS 365's weren't as warm and sprang a leak.

http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/products/Spada-Enforcer-WP-Glove-.html

Caz
10-11-11, 10:02 PM
I agree - gets some muffs James. I got some but not tried them yet :D

Jon_W
11-11-11, 08:06 AM
For me, at any price range, so far I haven't found any better (warm / dry / fit) winter gloves than these cheapo spada's. My old (and 3x the price) AS 365's weren't as warm and sprang a leak.

http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/products/Spada-Enforcer-WP-Glove-.html

Spada gloves are good. Have got a summer set. Very good quality.

SupeRDel
11-11-11, 08:24 AM
One place on ebay is selling off Spada Enforcer WP Gloves for 35 quid.