PDA

View Full Version : Do you reckon it is safe?

Splash
05-02-12, 12:17 PM
I need to head from Swindon to Fairford...

I was going to go out to Lechlade on the A361 then pick up the A417 into Fairford... do you reckon it would be possible on the bike? (My only transport method).

I've seen a few bikers out but are they just stupid? :-?

The roads just look wet now... little snow?

Wes
05-02-12, 12:32 PM
still very slippery out there mate, personally i wouldn't bother, the major routes maybe ok but the minor roads will be bad.

NoYou
05-02-12, 12:38 PM
Unless you absolutely have to i would try to avoid going out in a bike personally

Splash
05-02-12, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the words guys!

I was in two minds... I will stay by the fire!
Cheers!

bobf279
05-02-12, 06:36 PM
Wasn't too bad out around Westbury/Melksham/BOA/Trowbridge warmed up nicely so a short ride was the order of the day

Splash
05-02-12, 08:42 PM
Wasn't too bad out around Westbury/Melksham/BOA/Trowbridge warmed up nicely so a short ride was the order of the day

Nice!

I did end up going out... couldn't resist the adrenaline rush of not knowing what might happen!

Swindon to Lechlade was fine, hit the legal limit and all that.. 4.5 miles from Lechlade to Fairford was... interesting to say the least!

Didn't slip or slide once but the local policeman to Fairford gave me an interesting look when we passed eachother on the road. ;D

Jon_W
06-02-12, 08:00 AM
Glad you got there ok. I'm going slowly at the mo. Never know what the surface is.

Dabz
06-02-12, 08:24 AM
gotta be pretty mad to go out when there's potential ice "for the adrenaline rush". Having said that, I've come off because of ice and know how costly and painful it was...maybe you don't become more wary of ice until it's bitten you

Splash
06-02-12, 09:03 AM
No you are right Dabz with your words, I think the gut is saying no but the head is saying yes...

I think you're right about feeling more wary if you have had an accident in it... hope it wasn't too painful or costly for you! I have crashed once in ice, black ice that is, thankfully no cars were around and I wasn't hit.

Jon, I think the main direct routes are okay, just watch for the Frozen White lines and ice down the center of your lane (Had that a lot in Fairford - Will be deadly as it'll probably be more like ice today)

** BE careful another cold snap this week, my bike will be placed firmly in the garage **

Jon_W
06-02-12, 09:27 AM
Main roads to Bath were ok, but it was very greasy going through Sally in the woods today.

From previous expereence, even the gritted roads can have icy bits... go careful peeps.

Nikki
06-02-12, 11:11 AM

If you were riding back into Westbury yesterday afternoon must say the person you were following was one of the best riders I've seen for ages :)

bobf279
06-02-12, 09:44 PM
;D I was following Rob on his new steed but I don't know if he followed anyone ;)

Morticia
15-02-12, 08:50 PM
gotta be pretty mad to go out when there's potential ice "for the adrenaline rush". Having said that, I've come off because of ice and know how costly and painful it was...maybe you don't become more wary of ice until it's bitten you

I only learnt the hard way, like you. Crashed my 125 on the snow. Twice in one day, cos even though I crashed on the way to work I was convinced I'd get back home ok...

BB
16-02-12, 06:53 PM

Not to mention a little embarrasing when two of the three bikes in the heap on the road belong to you... :-[ ::)

BB

Swanny
16-02-12, 09:35 PM
Day off tomorrow so time to get the trusty steed out of the garage and blow off some cobwebs 8-)

Jon_W
17-02-12, 07:46 AM
Is great out there at the moment.... warm, dry but still a bit greasy...

Makes a change from raining or freezing cold!

Swanny
17-02-12, 03:24 PM
Yea just back from a ride, lovely and warm, just the right temp I reckon 8-)
Definitely warmer than when I stopped riding at the end of last year :)

Jon_W
19-02-12, 07:30 PM
Was great today. Went to BRistol docks..... was a wonderful winter ride.

Is ment to be warm by the end of the week.....