PDA

View Full Version : a bike with abs, and pipe beading?

zachl
17-03-12, 12:02 AM
evening gents and gentettes ( i think thats the PC term these days)

first of all, i keep blowing the intercooler pipes off on my car, does anyone know anyone that does pipe beading? or has a pipe beading tool that i could borrow/rent for some aluminininiuininum pipes?

secondly

i am still in the market for a new 2 wheeled motor vehicle, after the 2 accidents i have had (grabbing the front brake too hard and sliding out in the dry at about 40, and the same again at about 15mph when i didnt notice it was frosty :( ) im thinking about getting a zach proof bike (abs model)

im not a big bloke, and a 600 really would suit me well, i dont like tourers, im not really sure what to get, i like sleak and modern. at the moment im REALLY liking the CB1000r, my problem is that its a 1000, and maybe a little fast for my needs.... i would want to snatch at the throttle and have the front wheel keep popping up, i'd probably die..

and help and suggestions on either matter would me muchly appreciated :)

Red Zed 1
17-03-12, 12:08 AM
hi,if the pipes keep blowing off the intercooler its probably because of oil residue on the insides of the hoses where they sit on the intercooler..make sure the hoses are cleaned with brake cleaner or similar as well as the pipes on the intercooler itself then secure tight with good quality hose clips..this should cure the problem.is it petrol or diesel,turbo could also be overboosting if the wastegate is sticking..hope this helps..

zachl
17-03-12, 12:31 AM
cheers for the heads up but its the fact that there is no bead to stop them

my car is running lots of boost, and being a diesel the pipes are full of oil anyway, but i have cleaned the joins. i also use the miklor clamps (or however it is spelt) from gm stevens and i've done them up so tight its distorted the pipes.

basically upgraded my intercooler and had to custom make some pipework that entailed cutting down the ali pipes and therefore losing the beading. i will now be replacing this piping again and putting the beading back on afer i have cut the pipes down

you can see the intercooler here

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/zach225/newpics002.jpg

Snowy
17-03-12, 08:11 AM
You can get a CBR600RR with ABS I believe. Personally I'm a great fan of ABS on bikes - I have had them for 15 years now and will never buy another bike without it.

zachl
17-03-12, 08:49 AM
Cbr600rr would be a good shout, are they fairly comfy? I had a '98cbr600 and that was nice to ride

Mark_Able
17-03-12, 08:35 PM
Sort your riding out Zach. Grabbing the front brake is a 'panic reaction'. Getting a bike with ABS might seem like the solution, but it's your riding that needs attention mate. If you had 'normal' brakes, you could practice e-stops time after time until you felt you'd overcome your tendency to grab at the brakes. It's only practice that gets you sorted mate. ;)

zachl
18-03-12, 01:11 AM
i know what you're saying mark, personally i blame the company that taught me :p

the first accident was a panick reaction, on a bike with what i later found out to be old dry tyres, i just checked the tread not the condition.

the second one was a genuine mistake on my part, didnt realise it was frosty so just locked up stupidly easy,

im sure i could get another non abs bike and be fine, but it will always be in head that im gonna lock it up.

my first accident happend literaly a month after passing and then for 2 years of riding it was still in my head, and then it happened again!!

bad times...lol

gibbo
18-03-12, 09:44 AM
Hi zachi. Don't think you should rely on ABS to get you out of the s**t.
Book a course with Able and learn to ride safely, then sort the bike out. :)

NiteW4tcher
18-03-12, 10:13 AM
Hi zachi. Don't think you should rely on ABS to get you out of the s**t.
Book a course with Able and learn to ride safely, then sort the bike out. :)

+1

never locked front up and ive hit them brakes HARD before ;D

i agree you need to give your riding skills a re-fresh its not a dig or anything like that mate just some friendly advice :)

im sure you will crack that panick reaction

zachl
18-03-12, 02:26 PM
Maybe I shouldn't see it as a panic reaction but blame the circumstances, bad tyres and hidden frost.

Jon_W
19-03-12, 08:11 AM
The Honda CBF range also has ABS models.

Senna(Dan)
19-03-12, 10:09 AM
The Yamaha XJ6 has ABS too. Its not a wheelie demon but has enough sportiness to keep up aswell.

zachl
19-03-12, 05:59 PM
Cheers will have a look