PDA

View Full Version : steering damper

grumpyget
06-04-12, 08:44 PM
do steering dampers do anything for the handling of the bike high or low speed.

Mark_Able
06-04-12, 08:52 PM
Steering dampers stabilise the bike when it tries to get into a tank slapper. Bikes with short wheel bases, lots of power, and radical steering head angles, need steering dampers. It actually makes it less easy to ride at slow speeds, and does nothing other than make your steering feel heavy. But at high speeds on a bumpy corner, it's worth it's weight in gold... ;)

grumpyget
06-04-12, 08:54 PM
Steering dampers stabilise the bike when it tries to get into a tank slapper. Bikes with short wheel bases, lots of power, and radical steering head angles, need steering dampers. It actually makes it less easy to ride at slow speeds, and does nothing other than make your steering feel heavy. But at high speeds on a bumpy corner, it's worth it's weight in gold... ;)
cool thanks mate :)

NiteW4tcher
08-04-12, 03:04 PM
there not a guarantee to save a tank slapper my gsxr tank slapped me down the a303 (and i had no power left to power out of it :D)

somehow to this day i have no idea but i saved my ass from the tarmac

wiltshire builders
09-04-12, 07:45 AM
Wouldn't ride mine without one. Standard dampers are a bit rubbish as they only have one setting. Get a decent multi setting one put it on the lowest setting and crank it up 1 setting everytime the bars shake. When it stops take it back one click at it'll be set perfectly. A good one isn't cheap but like Mr Able said, they're worth their weight in gold.

Jon_W
10-04-12, 07:57 AM
steering dampers are becoming a nesissity on modern sportsbikes because the geometry is for smooth tracks, not rough roads. They add resistance to the turning of the bars, especially high speed inputs making the bars lees likely to wave, but also making the bars harder to turn quickly by the rider. Ideally you don't have one.