PDA

View Full Version : Quite an urgent request from a Frome newbie

Joe_Kilroy
01-04-12, 08:47 AM
Hi,

It's good to find your site, it was recommended to me by Mark Able who is trying his best to get me through the Mod 2, which I failed last week mainly because of lack of road experience.
I'm hoping to try again as soon as possible but while I'm waiting here in Frome I thought it would be a good idea to try and get some road experience.
I can't afford to rent a bike, so am here to ask if anyone by any chance has an old 125cc or even scooter sitting around in their garage that they could let me 'borrow' or rent just for a couple of weeks, so I can be more ready this time round for my Mod 2 with some road experience under my belt?
I promise to look after it, and can pay something like a rental while I have it, we have a safe locked yard here where my neighbour stores his bike and car so it would be safe.
I know it's a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't find out.
I have my CBT and provisional license of course. :)

Cheers,
Joe.

Joe_Kilroy
03-04-12, 07:20 PM
ok, how about a pushbike ? :-/

FJ_Biker
03-04-12, 07:50 PM
If I had 125 I would loan it to you, I am all in favour of seeing people on two wheels. All I can do is wish you the best.

JayP
04-04-12, 06:27 PM
Can't help with a bike I'm afraid Joe but good luck with the retake and when you pass, feel free to get in touch - I live in Frome and only passed my test a year ago, so generally up for an evening ride out or whatever.

Rabb
04-04-12, 06:57 PM
If I had 125 I would loan it to you, I am all in favour of seeing people on two wheels. All I can do is wish you the best.

I wish I had a 125 that I could loan to you - Sorry I can't help.

Scotty
04-04-12, 07:09 PM
Why not just buy a 125 and practice on it? Your test result kinda pointed out that you need road riding experience and experience is invaluable in keeping you alive, especially after passing your test when you'll no longer be getting any supervision. What's the hurry anyway? Spend some time learning to RIDE, not just to get through your test otherwise the licence you may acquire will be little more than a pink voucher for half a day at the undertakers...

off_again
04-04-12, 10:18 PM
As mentioned, why not buy a 125, run it for a month or so and sell it on. Plenty of demand for them so it wont hang around for long.

With a bit of planning you can get something decent for less than a grand, run if for a while and then sell it on for just under a grand. Ok, its a bit of hassle and you need the money up front, but will be cheaper than renting (though not as good as borrowing).

Insurance and stuff isnt expensive either - I did this and managed to get a CG125 for just over a grand, insured for £60 and a tank of petrol lasted ages! Sold it for just under a grand 2 months later.

I needed to tax it just before selling it - I did think that 6 months would be fine, but the DVLA dont allow it - though £16 for the year didnt seem too bad after all...

;D

lolliver
05-04-12, 12:57 PM
Could you not just pay to tag along on a day out with the Able gang when they're preparing trainees for their test?

ozzie
05-04-12, 07:27 PM
im sure mark would sort something out for you, sorry ive not got a 125 about at present. theres some good advice thats been given above as well. good luck

Joe_Kilroy
06-04-12, 11:48 AM
Thanks all, some good advice there, there's a dealer here in the backstreets of Frome ( Frome Bike Breakers) who have some 125 cc's for under and around a grand, one KAM 125 for 625 quid, which would probably sort me out for a while and give me some road experience before taking my MOD 2 again. Of course you're right, it's just I have already put 500 quid deposit on a classic BMW R-650 cc (mint condition, only 17,000 km on the clock) and am saving every penny towards that. I suppose I have to make some tough decisions.

NiteW4tcher
06-04-12, 12:06 PM
Thanks all, some good advice there, there's a dealer here in the backstreets of Frome ( Frome Bike Breakers) who have some 125 cc's for under and around a grand, one KAM 125 for 625 quid, which would probably sort me out for a while and give me some road experience before taking my MOD 2 again. Of course you're right, it's just I have already put 500 quid deposit on a classic BMW R-650 cc (mint condition, only 17,000 km on the clock) and am saving every penny towards that. I suppose I have to make some tough decisions.

dont mean to be negative...why put a deposit down on a bike before you can legally ride such a bike.

get that £625 125 learn to ride pass ur mod two....happy days :) ;)

Joe_Kilroy
06-04-12, 04:51 PM
Good point,

I put the cart before the horse, it's true.
On the plus side, it will be good to have a nice old bike waiting for me for when I do pass.
Trying to sort out a 125cc now, through AutoTrader etc.
Of course would love to go out with Mark every day,
but skills like his don't come cheap.
And I'm not saying they should be either, just being realistic ( for a change).

Loops
06-04-12, 07:56 PM
If you do buy yourself a 125, get something that's a known make, reasonable condition and look after it - then you can sell it on once you're done with it and you shouldn't loose too much :)

Joe_Kilroy
06-04-12, 10:46 PM
yes, just realised the KAM is a load of crap and I wouldn't be able to get parts for it anyway. I'll keep looking, hoping to get a 2nd hand 125 cc for 500 quid tops.

NiteW4tcher
07-04-12, 10:02 AM
.............problem is time of year 125's will be demanding money

Joe_Kilroy
07-04-12, 01:24 PM
If anyone hears of one going around the Bath, Bristol or Frome areas for about 400-500 quid please let me know. Or of a place where I might be likely to find a 2nd hand one, thanks again. Looking forward to it, as it seems to be the best solution to my problem. Can't wait to be honest.

Joe_Kilroy
07-04-12, 09:05 PM
I'm sorry, I want to post a link to a 125 cc Yamaha SR 125, to get your feedback on it. It's in Bristol so wouldn't be that hard to collect and ride back to Frome, but I need to have made 10 posts before I can post a link, so please can you just type into google -

1998 YAMAHA SR 125 GREEN - Good Condition

and it should take you to Ebay.

It will be great to get your comments about this bike.
He's agreed 650 GBP with me.

Thanks.

mick_benson
07-04-12, 09:13 PM
it dont look to bad but should go see it first

NiteW4tcher
08-04-12, 12:01 AM
id go have a look around it.

looks a fair bike @ a fair price.....check the front brake calliper make sure it isnt seized or binding..............small bikes like this see alot of weather and eat callipers for a past time.

fairly simple fix if it showing signs of seizing.

if u can take it for a little run .......make sure all gears engage and the clutch disengages smoothly.

make sure engine pulls smoothly .....with no rattles or unusual smoke from exhaust.

Joe_Kilroy
08-04-12, 08:11 AM
Really helpful guys, I will do as you say.

No Easter eggs today, but excited about getting on wheels.

:)

Joe_Kilroy
08-04-12, 08:11 AM
Essex,

Fancy a swap?

;)

voodoo
08-04-12, 11:32 AM
some good points, just remember these sort of bikes are ridden hard by learners so make sure you have a spin on it first if you can

Joe_Kilroy
09-04-12, 12:54 PM
thank you,

I've decided to have more lessons with Mark.

voodoo
09-04-12, 12:58 PM
good move, mark'll get you sorted

Beamer
09-04-12, 01:13 PM
thank you,

I've decided to have more lessons with Mark.

Excellent idea......can never have too much tuition from Able and the team.....they are ace !! :) :) :)

Scotty
09-04-12, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, not sure if you're getting the point... By all means have as many lessons as you like, but I'd recommend getting a bike of your own AS WELL so you can practice what you've been taught. The weakness (for want of a better word) identified in your riding was lack of experience, and a couple of hours per week under tuition will help you learn what you're supposed to do, but getting your own bike will allow you to ride and practice all the tuition every day so that it becomes more intuitive and more natural for you. The more prepared that you are, not just for the test but for riding in general, the better. Knowing what to do is one thing, being able to do it without a second thought only comes with practice...

NiteW4tcher
09-04-12, 04:05 PM
Hmmm, not sure if you're getting the point... By all means have as many lessons as you like, but I'd recommend getting a bike of your own AS WELL so you can practice what you've been taught. The weakness (for want of a better word) identified in your riding was lack of experience, and a couple of hours per week under tuition will help you learn what you're supposed to do, but getting your own bike will allow you to ride and practice all the tuition every day so that it becomes more intuitive and more natural for you. The more prepared that you are, not just for the test but for riding in general, the better. Knowing what to do is one thing, being able to do it without a second thought only comes with practice...

a very valid point

Jacde
09-04-12, 05:01 PM
I actually struggled on a 125 and found it much easier riding the bigger 500 bike and obviously you can only ride a 500 with an instructor. So I didn't go down the buying a 125 route, and did all my riding with my instructor. Might have taken a bit longer to get up to Mod2 but suited me.

Joe_Kilroy
10-04-12, 09:49 AM
I understand the good advice given here thank you, I perfectly agree it would make sense to have my own 125cc, but unfortunately as with everything finances comes into it.
I have committed myself to the purchase of a BMW-R65 (paid 500 pound deposit) and am saving up to pay that off. It's more than I expected to have to pay for my first bike but I had my heart set on a boxer twin and this is now a classic bike which is appreciating in value.It has only 17,000km on the clock, my uncle who is an experienced BMW fanatic took it for a test ride and said it is like a new bike, in looks and performance and was garaged and carefully maintained for most of its life.
So I'm seeing it like an investment.

Anyway, it is waiting for me when I pass, and if anyone has an old 125cc lying around gathering dust that they would like to flog for a (few) hundred quid, then fine I would think about it, but for now, I need to save and keep faith in Mark, he hasn't let me down so far and I learnt more in a day with him than in a month with *********.

I'll pop round to Frome breakers again today and see if anything new has come in.

Cheers for all your constructive comments.

NiteW4tcher
10-04-12, 10:04 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CG-125-12-MONTHS-MOT-/320872237515?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4ab579c9cb #ht_500wt_1361

make a stupid offer ;) never know your luck

newnut
10-04-12, 01:09 PM
I would listen to scottys advise, (you can tell he's serious as his comments lack his usual sarcasm ;D), and thats because riding on the road is a seriously dangerous place for evan the experienced.
I dont mean to criticize but you have bought a bike which doesn't sound like its going to be cheap to repair if you happened to drop it, As a first bike I think you made a mistake, unless you too are planning on just keeping the bmw in your garage. I wish you all the best anyway. ;)

Joe_Kilroy
10-04-12, 03:10 PM
I had my heart on an old beemer and the 650cc (R65) seemed a less suicidal choice than the K-100 and K-75's I was offered. My uncle knows several dedicated BMW breaker yards and apparently parts are widely available for BM's around the world, which is where I intend to take her. The boxer twins are also meant to be very easily repairable, unlike the modern all parts-encased plastic bikes you can't even change the oil without paying a mechanic. My wife also costs a bomb to maintain, but love is blind. :o

Jon_W
11-04-12, 08:24 AM
The only issue with the old boxers I know of is the carb diapham rotting causing bad fuelling.

Parts are easy, BMW still stock 'em! My uncle has an old BMW twin (circa 25 years old) and he still tours about europe on it!!!!

Joe_Kilroy
11-04-12, 10:01 AM
I can't wait. ;)

Had my heart set on it for ages.

Ducatista
11-04-12, 11:26 AM
Just a thought, but does your uncle have a bike he would let you ride off the public highway for a bit of practice.

My OH didn't have a 125.
He did a bit of practice on my bike in an empty car park on a Sunday off the public road.
It won't help with roadcraft/traffic, but you can obviously practice U-turns, swerve & avoid, general control skills etc.

Snowy
11-04-12, 01:31 PM
Parts easily obtained either from a dealer as JonW points out but also Motorworks, Motobins or James Sherlock all of whom I use and can recommend.

I think an R65 is a better choice than most here will, partially because I'm biased, but also because they are easy to ride, handle well and if you're into doing your own maintenance, very forgiving to work on. A friend of mine had an R65 as a first bike and now he's on a K1200RS having had a very happy transition. Good luck :)

Joe_Kilroy
11-04-12, 03:17 PM
Lovely all, thank you.

My Uncle (he is in fact my cousin technically but he's just much older so I call him Uncle to other people, not to his face of course), has ridden BMW-K-100's since he was 17, shame he's only got one bike though.

Mark Able has kindly offered to give me a hand, Im looking forward to getting some more road practice in with him.

ozzie
11-04-12, 06:23 PM
i know the kam your talking about, it belonged to one of W/B and it done her well. talk to lou.