PDA

View Full Version : Bike chain tool

jpssantos
04-04-12, 09:43 AM
Hi all..

quick question... I've bought a motorcycle chain tool, so I can finally fit my own chains as I kept borrowing one off a mate...

just like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-SHOP-DISPLAY-LASER-Motorcycle-Cam-Chain-Drive-Chain-Link-Extractor-Tool-/180856334178?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a1be 0a762

Anyway, its perfect, I've fitted a new chain to my 954 with no hassle..
It was a DID gold chain and the pins on the link chain were hollow, so I used the riveter that came with the kit, which is round at the end and opens the pins to the side to keep split link in place..

however!!

A mate came over the other day for me to fit a new chain to his bike, and the pins on his split link were solid... meaning this curved riveter was no good.. but also didnt seem to find anything suitable in the kit that would put an edge on the sides of these solid pins?

any ideas? can different rivet bits be bought?

cheers

Crosbie
04-04-12, 11:02 AM
You cant actually rivet solid pins with this sort of tool unfortunatelly. The theads wouldnt be man enough for it. you need a tool that works not with threads but with a soft hammer like so -

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-790038/

pretty easy to use, pretty dam hard to break, simple to manufacture (machined from one block and pins turned on a lathe) but expensive bizarley when compared to the manufacturing process of the toll you have....

Best bet is to get across to GMS in trow how have one and hire it out for £10 an hour and £5 every hour after. The tool is exactly the same as the one in the link! Complete with soft hammer too :o ;)

Crosbie
04-04-12, 11:04 AM
Just realised your in Newbury - not exactly on the doorstep for trowbridge.... ::) Try a couple of you local bike shops, im sure one of them will do the same.

Mitch9128
04-04-12, 01:31 PM
x2 lump hammers, and a centrepunch, pein the head over.

Jon_W
04-04-12, 01:33 PM
x2 lump hammers, and a centrepunch, pein the head over.

That is similat to my method.... anvil behind the chain, punch and pien the end over.

jpssantos
11-04-12, 09:36 PM
yep, thats the method I used in the end.... hammer time!!