PDA

View Full Version : weather ???

8_ball
11-04-12, 11:02 PM
OK for a long time now ive been thinking,

Why do some riders only ride in the wet ???

I find it strange that someone will pay loads of money for a bike and all the gear and never venture out if it rains. Then one day they go to the track or for a nice long ride and get caught out by the weather and end up really hateing the trip back home ? :(

8_ball
12-04-12, 08:59 AM
lol, the silence

Dabz
12-04-12, 09:09 AM
don't really have an answer other than I've done plenty of wet riding and simply don't enjoy it. The bike for me is for pleasure - I commute in the car - so if it's wet and I won't enjoy it then I stay home in the dry :)

njl
12-04-12, 09:16 AM
i'm thinking you are thinking why do some riders only ride in the dry?

for me personally, it took a year or two couple of years to get sufficient quality kit to be able to stay out in the rain and not get wet, and at the time I was commuting to work not just riding for fun. Now i have more money invested in textiles than leather and would generally be able to kit up to ride all day without suffering too badly. I never came across an oversiut that helped for long in the rain.

I expect that a good number of ppl will also be less confident in rain or mixed conditions whith regard to the grip available on the bike which could cause anxiety for them off setting the pleasure of a ride for fun.

I have done 6 or so laps of castle combe after heavy rain which pretty much cleared the paddock one afternoon, had the track to myself on all but one lap but the amount of times the bike would twitch got to convincing me it would only be a matter of time before i dropped it had me calling it a day too.

I don't mind riding in the rain, but if the journey doesn't have a purpose beyond the journey itself, then I would likely give it a miss.

Nikki
12-04-12, 09:36 AM
OK for a long time now ive been thinking,

Why do some riders only ride in the wet ???

I reckon 'wet' should be 'dry' ;) :)

For me personally I don't mind getting wet once I'm out, but riding a bike is for me nothing other than fun, and quite simply getting wet and cold aint no fun.

Hazel-nut
12-04-12, 10:17 AM
i've been caught out in the rain and as i only have leathers i got very wet and very cold so didn't enjoy the rest of the ride. If i had textiles I might think about going out in the rain but for me I like to stay warm and dry so i'm staying a fair weather rider im afraid

Ducatista
12-04-12, 10:28 AM
There are good reasons for not wanting to go out in the wet

1) Bike gets a lot dirtier and needs cleaning.
2) Fine if you have all the gear, but not everyone can afford to have the right jacket, trousers, gloves, boots etc. and it's miserable if you get wet and cold. Gear also has to be kept in good condition as water will get into any broken seams, so again more costs for repairs/replacement.
3) Obviously the road surface is a lot more slippery on the white paint, man hole covers, studs but also diesel spills, gravel etc. I tell all my associates to ride the same in the dry as they would in the wet e.g. go through the black on zebra crossings, then it's second nature rather than having to change your riding style. Of course there is a trade-off because if you never go out in the wet you never get any practice. Doing some advanced training or being a tutor/observer is good from that point of view because we don't avoid the wet (only ice & snow).
4) Can be difficult to see if you don't have the right visor/insert. You also can't ride with your visor up if you wear glasses.
I had one visor that was scratched and the water would run into the scratches. I've since changed that.
Also another one (Schuberth C2) that was dreadful for steaming up. I've now got an insert for that, but it's all money, so it's extra costs which not everyone can afford all the time.
I think the biggest thing I hate about riding in the wet is not being able to see properly.

Nikki
12-04-12, 11:16 AM
I think the biggest thing I hate about riding in the wet is not being able to see properly.

Good point.

wiltshire builders
12-04-12, 12:32 PM
I think the simple answer is 'because people don't like getting wet'

NiteW4tcher
12-04-12, 12:38 PM

what he said ;D

Senna(Dan)
12-04-12, 12:55 PM
I commute daily on the bike and it has improved my faith in the tyres. The joy of getting that corner perfect in the wet, is sooo much more satisfying than in the dry.
I went textile first and my textile kit cost me a total of £150 brand new and has gradually been upgraded.

Blackandchrome
12-04-12, 12:58 PM
I read as far as the second line and then lost interest ;) :-X

Scotty
12-04-12, 01:01 PM
Because I don't like getting cold and wet and I don't like getting the bike all filthy, is that ok with you?

Sure I've done it when I've been caught out in it but rarely make a point of going out when it is wet. Riding to and from the NW200 five years ago was a case in point, got soaked between Dublin and Carrickfungus on the way there, had a sunny day at the races and got even more soaked between Snowdonia and home on the way back, I have never been so wet on a bike and it was no fun at all - oversuit, "waterproof" gloves, poly bags inside boots - made no difference at all, I got home soaking wet and cold, in May. My kit took days to dry and it took days to clean the bike properly as well (bodywork off, shock out, doing a thorough job of it)

If it ain't fun, why choose to do it? :-? It's a free country and if our choice not to ride in the wet offends you, that's your problem.

jpssantos
12-04-12, 03:19 PM
i've always ridden all year round.

about "affording to get all the gear", when I started riding I had a set of leathers, bought waterproof overalls and that was enough for winter riding to kept me dry from the rain.

they were about 20quid...

evil_daddy
12-04-12, 03:29 PM
I don't mind riding in the rain, but if the journey doesn't have a purpose beyond the journey itself, then I would likely give it a miss.

[smiley=smiley_up.gif]

Ducatista
12-04-12, 03:40 PM
about "affording to get all the gear", when I started riding I had a set of leathers, bought waterproof overalls and that was enough for winter riding to kept me dry from the rain.

You must have just happened to have the right boots/gloves/visor then.
I have decent sidi boots (vertigos) but they definitely aren't waterproof.
I've got pinlock inserts on both visors (most people have problems with misting).
I've got a pair of textile trousers where the waterproof inserts ripped and they became un-waterproof.
Most of the textile stuff needs washing and re-proofing with something that costs £10 per bottle (TX direct?).
I don't think my experiences are that unusual.

jpssantos
12-04-12, 04:01 PM
well, im just talking from my experience...

I had leathers underneath with waterproof overalls, they were a one piece suit, kind of a rubbery inside....actually one set I bought from Lidl and I still have it and works perfectly fine.

the boots cost £20 off ebay and were waterproof, if needed, stick your feet in carrier bags and then put boots on
the helmet was a Caberg that cost £120 new

not saying that everyone has to ride when its raining, just saying there's ways around it.
price of kit to ride in the wet is not a good enough reason to not ride in the wet.

and I wasnt doing 5miles to work either, I was commuting 30 miles each way and weekends from Newbury to Gatwick and bike rallies all over the place...

jpssantos
12-04-12, 04:11 PM
here ya go.. Lidl finest.

2008 in France, rode for over 200 miles in pouring rain... just those overalls over my leathers. completly dry.

sorry for the "catalogue pose". Im the one on the right.
Overalls dont look pretty...but the important is that the gear works.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/332_78549415612_727855612_4155800_5078_n.jpg

Ducatista
12-04-12, 04:31 PM
"catalogue pose"??
Looks more like "One step beyond" ;)

jpssantos
12-04-12, 04:38 PM
pmsl.... was the guy in the middle idea... every picture of him from that year he's doing that... ::)

Beamer
12-04-12, 05:32 PM
If Im out and it rains I get wet...simple as..
But if its raining and I have a choice then car it is..........mainly because I have a choice !!
Hate the poor visibility, hate the skiddy/slippy road thing, and hate getting sopping wet !!

:P :P :P

Dan505
12-04-12, 05:42 PM
Use the bike for commuting so rain or shine i'm on it but no thanks if its icy ;)

If at the weekend tho its simple, road x rain + choice = car

Each to there own tho..... :)

Caz
12-04-12, 06:00 PM

what he said ;D

And me :P ;D

Nelly
12-04-12, 06:00 PM
I commute on the bike as well. I don't mind getting a bit wet...but given the choice...no ta :)

Toph
12-04-12, 06:10 PM
Same as Nelly, I use my bike everyday for the commute to work, rain or shine.

Waterproofs are a wonderful thing!! :) :)

DanS
12-04-12, 06:27 PM
I saw my first bit of rain yesterday between Melksham & Trowbridge, and the biggest problem was visibility.

Apart from that, I wouldn't deliberately set out to get cold and wet. Rain wouldn't ruin my enjoyment of a ride-in-progress.

Regards,
Dan

Swanny
12-04-12, 06:44 PM
When I was 16 / 17 I had no choice and was always out on the moped/bike no matter what the weather, but now I'm a big boy I take the car if it rains. If it rains when I'm out on the bike it's not a problem I just get wet 8-)

jpssantos
12-04-12, 07:16 PM
its a personal choice at the end of the day... some people like it, some people dont.

Personally, i dont care, I like to ride my bike more than being stuck in a cage in traffic.

I had the choice, with a nice brand new BMW 320 company car sat outside..and still I would go to work on the bike, rain or shine ;D

Am I mad? very likely :D :D

Jacde
12-04-12, 08:04 PM
the wettest I got on a bike was as a pillion on the way back from Donnington GP a few years ago.
The only bit of me that was dry was the very top of my head, from my eyebrows down I was soaked as water had got in everywhere even tho I was wearing 'waterproof' clothing.
So glad I was on the way home and not the way there as I would have been a very unhappy spectator.

Snowy
12-04-12, 08:29 PM
I'm happy riding in the rain - sometimes go out in it for fun and to keep in tune but I'm lucky enough to be able to afford gear now which is warm and 100% waterproof. Pinlock visors do work but they are finicky about being fitted properly to get the perfect seal and they need to be dried out occasionally otherwise they will mist up. I use Fogtech on my glasses which also works. I have Goretex Proshell textiles and gloves which are 100% waterproof as are my Sidi Canyon boots. Ducatista has a point though, these are not cheap items and I certainly could not have afforded it (even if it was available that long ago) when I started out on bikes.

I do however hate it when its half and half - a mixture of wet and dry. Prefer full wet to that - its all about confidence. I have it going into a dry corner then lose it when it gets wet halfway round ;D Just have to remember that the tyres have more grip than I think they do and trust them :)

Mark_Able
12-04-12, 08:34 PM
I can't say riding in the wet is a pleasure, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Strangely, I liked racing in the wet. Heightened sense of danger, and having to ride pin point accurate, gave me a bizarre thrill... :D

wiltshire builders
13-04-12, 12:08 PM
I can't say riding in the wet is a pleasure, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Strangely, I liked racing in the wet. Heightened sense of danger, and having to ride pin point accurate, gave me a bizarre thrill... :D
PERVERT!

Jon_W
16-04-12, 08:08 AM
Always prefer to ride rather than drive, regardless of the weather.

Dan505
16-04-12, 10:12 AM
Always prefer to ride rather than drive, regardless of the weather.

Yep [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

8_ball
16-04-12, 01:30 PM
lol, I had a feeling this was a sore subject for some ,lol

Ill ride no matter what, you can only make a judgement on something that you know or have experienced, what I mean by this is.
Just cause there is rain doesnt mean that the ride is going to be a bad one and same said for the cold.
some of the best rides have been in the cold and wet .....
but I will always make a reason not to get into a steel coffin and go somewhere..
cheers for your feed back and sorry if it offended some ......lol ;D

redken1
16-04-12, 07:53 PM
Personally speaking, I’ve never really got the ‘fair-weather versus all-weather biker thingy. ::)

If you are a biker in your 70s suffering from arthritis you are unlikely to ride on a cold wet day. In contrast, if you are in your early 20s and a motorcycle is your only mode of transport then you probably ride in all weathers.

Whenever or whatever you ride a biker is a biker to me. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dan505
16-04-12, 08:07 PM
Whenever or whatever you ride a biker is a biker to me. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

sums that up then 8-)

abxv535
16-04-12, 08:21 PM
I don't ride in wet conditions because i don't feel confident... i'm new to sport bikes and still getting used to it ... i do ride for pleasure and if i don't feel confident can't say i enjoy it! ( to be honest i s*it myself :-[ )