PDA

View Full Version : Solar powered Bike Battery charger (and cover)

Honda_Star
18-04-12, 10:49 PM
I spotted Motorbike covers with solar battery chargers at Thruxton which got me 'googling' I thought it was a pretty nifty idea, so thought I would share it with the masses....

http://www.coversshop.co.uk/motorbike_motorcycle_outdoor_solar.htm

:)

Senna(Dan)
19-04-12, 06:51 AM
They look great, and reasonably priced if they are as good quality as they look on the website.

Col
20-04-12, 12:10 AM
Good idea but if you keep bike outside watch out for strong winds as covers have a tendency to get shredded ::)

Jon_W
20-04-12, 08:02 AM
When do we get some sunshine????? :-?

Pidge
24-04-12, 10:16 PM
Don't waste your money, as said the cover will get shredded and a solar panel that size won't have a current supply large enough to charge any bike battery :o

Scotty
24-04-12, 11:57 PM
Don't waste your money, as said the cover will get shredded and a solar panel that size won't have a current supply large enough to charge any bike battery :o
Did you see the cover in question at Thruxton the other weekend? I did and it looked pretty substantial, with large brass eyelets in it to pass a chain through. Not the sort that tends to get shredded in a bit of wind. How much current does it take to keep a battery topped up? They're not claiming that you can put it on a dead battery and fill it full of beans in an hour flat, it's for keeping the battery alive whilst the bike is parked, easier than running an extension lead outside a building with a valuable Optimate or whatever plugged into it.

For a guy who joined the forum today and hasn't passed his test yet you seem to be pretty ready to stick your neck out. Good start mate... ::)

Pidge
25-04-12, 09:22 AM
Lol, that's funny! I designed ..... The fuel valve system on the meteor missile, power supplies for nuclear submarines, crank angle sensors for F1 cars, lighting systems for super yachts and various solar power systems and a panel that size might keep the charge in two AA batteries if your lucky!

Did you notice on the link how they give you no real technical data on the one main gadget the item has? That's because the specs are abysmal!

Typical trickle chargers are around 1.2A at a low voltage but an ideal trickle charge would be about 700mA @13.5V. A battery will only take the charge it needs within limits but a fully charged battery won't explode because you have fully charged it then rode for 4 hours charging it from the bikes alternator. It will take less and less current as it gets to its efficient charge level.

As for joining yesterday and sticking my neck out??? Should i be scared of posting my thoughts trying to help another user incase someone who has been here longer doesnt agree? Nope! Me joining yesterday has nothing to do with my experience ;) I own an FTO forum, moderator on another FTO forum and moderator on a MR2 forum, so forums are far from new to me.

And as for the petty comment about me not having passed yet well not too sure what that has to do with weather covers and solar panels but hayho.

I didn't go to thruxton the other weekend but going on the photo posted the panel is too small and I can't see the brass hoops you mentioned.

Each to their own and all that but the OP posted it up as a good idea and my comments are stated in my other post. Take them or leave them but forums are created to bring people together with like minded interests to discuss and debate things.

Thanks for the warm welcome, great start mate ::)
Anyway I digress my post was made with my thoughts if you don't like them then that's life but I'm only trying to help with my expertise 8-)

Gerry
25-04-12, 10:37 AM
Welcome Pidge,
I saw this to at Thruxton, seemed very well made but I didn't ask the price as 1, it looked expensive & 2, I've got optimates already.

Just out of interest on Solar Battery Chargers, does anybody run one of these that you fix to your garage roof (no idea on the size) a friend has mentioned them as she has no elec in her garage ?

Nice to have another car nut here (there doesn't seem many here) ;) always like the MR2s, but currently selling this: http://pistonheads.com/sales/3752606.htm

Not sure what I'll replace it with, but if it's not a different bike maybe a Skyline or 350Z (although I do like my turbos) :)

Cheers
G

Pidge
25-04-12, 10:51 AM
Cheers matey! That's been well looked after! I have been into the JDM market for about 13 years now and worked on and sponsored the worlds fastest FTO @ 916bhp!

Sorry for taking this off topic Star :)

Oh and if anyone wants one of these 'trickle chargers' to prove me wrong then I have one in the lab collecting dust! I'll dig it out and it's free to the collector!

jj
25-04-12, 11:18 AM
have one of those chargers fitted on my garage roof and it seems to keep the battery topped up fine

Pidge
25-04-12, 11:51 AM
The same one as the one in the plastic tray at the bottom of the web link?

jj
25-04-12, 12:04 PM
it is, didnt work at first then made sure it faced south and at e slightly different angle to the roof. not sure how well it would work in a cover

Pidge
25-04-12, 12:09 PM
Hmmm, might get the panel out again a do some more testing for current. I remember it was 13V+ but can't remember the current draw from it :-/

jj
25-04-12, 12:22 PM
for all year round you want panel at 40 deg angle and an air gap underneath to keep it cool.