PDA

View Full Version : Bike Ramp

crasher
25-04-12, 10:48 PM
Anyone got a bike ramp to get a bike in a van I can borrow or rent for a day in the Swindon area?

DC
26-04-12, 11:12 AM
I use a length of 8"x2" tanalised floor joist whenever i need to put the bike in the van not expensive and more than up to the job !

wiltshire builders
26-04-12, 11:39 AM
I use a length of 8"x2" tanalised floor joist whenever i need to put the bike in the van not expensive and more than up to the job !
.....and it's got to be tanalised, right. ;D

Scotty
26-04-12, 12:08 PM
The problem with using a straight length of joist or whatever to load a bike is that if the bike has a fairing the front of the bellypan grounds out on the apex of the "ramp", hence proper bike ramps are curved to avoid this...

Ducatista
26-04-12, 12:23 PM
Don't use an ironing board (I know someone who did that).

wiltshire builders
26-04-12, 12:25 PM
The problem with using a straight length of joist or whatever to load a bike is that if the bike has a fairing the front of the bellypan grounds out on the apex of the "ramp", hence proper bike ramps are curved to avoid this...
Depending on the van, you can rest the plank on the bumper giving you more clearance. In my Transit and my Vito this worked fine although there is the added risk of the plank slipping so make sure it's fixed in place.

I'm sure you know what you're doing Crasher but make sure the wheel is turned if you're resting the bike up against the bulkhead. Otherwise it could turn whilst in transit and roll forward, loosening the straps. Yes I found this out the hard way......

DC
26-04-12, 09:18 PM

Ive had a bonneville and a zx6r in the van with the plank method a few times without any problems of fairing on zx6 bottoming out on the apex but having said that the back end of the van is pretty low