PDA

View Full Version : Bike maintenance

frost_01
29-04-12, 12:02 PM
Hi all, I am brand new to the world of motorcycling and currently part way through my DAS. I have recently purchased a Fazer 600 on a 55 plate. The bike is in really good condition and has been looked after well by its previous owners.

The question I have is on general maintenance and upkeep of my bike. What are the key things I must do weekly and monthly? As I have an understanding of something’s I must do but would like to know from experienced riders. Also for jobs such as cleaning and oiling/waxing the chain what products are best as every manufacture makes claims that they sell the best product, but in the real world we know that’s not true.

I would be very grateful of any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks

bobtheimp
29-04-12, 12:17 PM
Tyre pressures, theoretically before every ride, but TBH I don't know anyone that actually check's them - worth doing at least once a week though as off pressures can radically affect the bike's handling.

Tyre depth/condition, essential to check the condition of your tyres, there is a small contact patch between you and the ground - make sure it's a good one!

Oil level, check it on a level surface with the bike held upright - let it drop too low and you'll be looking for a new engine.

Chain tension/condition, again, in theory you should check before every ride, but again at least once a week should be fine depending on how many miles you ride.

Horn/indicators/lights/etc., a quick run through daily is well worth it, especially if you ride at night or if the bike is left outside - it's no fun riding home in the dark, on country B roads with no lights :(

I would say those would be the most important - there's probably something I've missed, but it's still early and I've not quite woken up yet ;)

silly_simon
29-04-12, 01:28 PM
Where-a-bouts are you mate as I used to own an underseat exhaust Fazer 6 along with 2x earlier ones & currently have a 1000 :)

I ask as I have a Yamaha genuine workshop manual for that model that I was gonna stick on ebay But if you want it PM me :)

Swanny
29-04-12, 01:39 PM
You should oil your chain every 200 miles

Ducatista
29-04-12, 01:48 PM
Tyre pressures, theoretically before every ride, but TBH I don't know anyone that actually check's them - worth doing at least once a week though as off pressures can radically affect the bike's handling.

I have some "traffic light" valve caps so at least I can see easily and quickly if there is problem if they aren't being checked every ride.
You buy them for the correct pressure range and they should stay green, if it does amber or red then you know the pressure has gone down.
As none of us are perfect at doing this every ride then I think this is a good alternative for a few quid.

This is an example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-TYRE-PRESSURE-ALERT-VALVE-CAP-PSI-29-30-/220640589086?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item335f3 4351e

I haven't searched on price and that's not a recommendation for that particular seller, just an example of what I mean.

Swanny
29-04-12, 02:53 PM
I've had my bike since Oct and still haven't gotten around to checking the tyre pressures :-[

Nikki
29-04-12, 05:44 PM
THE best bike polish in the world - http://www.meguiars.co.uk/category/201

.....well I think it is anyway.

I've tried loads of different brands over the years and it really is good.

I am a bit obsessive about bike cleaning too ;) :)

I buy it off of Ebay.

Nikki
29-04-12, 05:54 PM

I have some "traffic light" valve caps so at least I can see easily and quickly if there is problem if they aren't being checked every ride.
You buy them for the correct pressure range and they should stay green, if it does amber or red then you know the pressure has gone down.
As none of us are perfect at doing this every ride then I think this is a good alternative for a few quid.

This is an example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-TYRE-PRESSURE-ALERT-VALVE-CAP-PSI-29-30-/220640589086?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item335f3 4351e

I haven't searched on price and that's not a recommendation for that particular seller, just an example of what I mean.

Thanks for that - I've seen them before and am going to get some now.

Just hope no scum bag nicks them.

bobf279
29-04-12, 06:03 PM
Mr Sheen polish, window cleaner spray, "back to black" or shoe polish for the black bits and scottoiler for the chain. Check tyre pressures and tyres at least once a week and check lights before every ride.

Nikki
29-04-12, 06:26 PM
Forget to add buy yourself some of this - brilliant stuff.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Wes
29-04-12, 06:36 PM
Drive Chain, clean and re lube, also check the play, Tyre pressures and wear, brake light front and rear levers, also worth checking the cables have been greased :)

bobf279
29-04-12, 09:54 PM
Forget to add buy yourself some of this - brilliant stuff.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Ah yes forgot this is a must too

Jon_W
30-04-12, 08:06 AM
Daily checks should be:

Petrol, Oil, Water (if needed), Drive (chain, belt, etc), Electrics, Rubber. You should also check for damage eg punctures and clean the lights if needed.

Weekly, I tend to check and adjust the tyre pressures, chain tension and brake pads and fluid. I also check the forks and shocks for leaks and damage and for sprocket wear and clutch adjustment.

I then tend to do things with the oil changes. So the plugs, clearances, air filter are checked.

Squashed_Fly
30-04-12, 08:38 AM
I then tend to do things with the oil changes...

I always knew you were a bit wierd jon... ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
30-04-12, 09:39 AM
It takes one to know one!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

frost_01
30-04-12, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone that have taken the time to give me some very useful info.

Mark_Able
30-04-12, 09:36 PM
I've had my bike since Oct and still haven't gotten around to checking the tyre pressures :-[

I've had mine since June '07, and neither have I... ::)