PDA

View Full Version : Diesel!!!

StreetHippo
10-05-12, 06:36 AM
A361 going north, roundabouts at Highworth and Lechlade are covered in diesel, be careful, I nearly dropped the bike twice coming in. Have reported to Police.

Stu

NiteW4tcher
10-05-12, 07:21 AM
argh hate that >:( well done for reporting it

Mitch9128
10-05-12, 09:19 AM
Ah, the sudden whiff of diesel, in an instant your back wheel sliding out, nothing wakes you up faster in the morning.

Swanny
10-05-12, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the warning

Forgive me for being stupid but where does it come from??
Are there cars/lorry's driving around with holes in their tanks??
Given how much the stuff costs I'm surprised it get anywhere near the roads.

Snowy
10-05-12, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the warning

Forgive me for being stupid but where does it come from??
Are there cars/lorry's driving around with holes in their tanks??
Given how much the stuff costs I'm surprised it get anywhere near the roads.

Its overspill from the fuel tank breathers and filler caps. Usually happens when tanks are brimmed and then on subsequent corners the centrifugal force forces the fuel out of the tanks. Thats why you typically find it on corners which is our worst nightmare. If you come to a roundabout and can see a petrol station nearby you have to assume you will find deisel on the outside of the roundabout and/or corners. I tend to stay on the inside of roundabouts where I can in these cases and its wet. Not nice. There was loads of it on the roads this morning my way to.

Swanny
10-05-12, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info.
All this talk of the EU making biking safer, if they really gave a **** they would fix fuel tanks first >:(
How hard can it be ??

Fat lot of good a high viz jacket is going to do you when you hit diesel.

I suppose it makes finding you in the hedge a bit easier :-/

Mitch9128
10-05-12, 01:01 PM
Fix fuel tanks? Nothing wrong with the fuel tanks, it's the fat lazy prostitute murderers that drive them, that brim them.

http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a6821

Nikki
10-05-12, 01:24 PM
With fuel prices so high it astounds me that diesel drivers can afford to waste so much :o :o >:(

Kevinb
10-05-12, 01:34 PM
Usually company vehicles so they don't care if they waste it or how much it costs.
Us who have to pay for our own fuel are a lot more careful

Jon_W
10-05-12, 03:27 PM
You'll be amazed how far a little bit of diesel goes.....

redken1
10-05-12, 05:37 PM
I am sure it is an offence now to spill diesel on the roads. Am I not right in saying that all new trucks and large vehicles are fitted with a safety mechanism in the fuel tank which prevents over filling?

Not much help I know - Spillages still seem to occur far too often.