PDA

View Full Version : Trip Advice

wi77y
10-05-12, 08:36 PM
Hi just wantted some help with my trip.

Im heading down to lands end in june for few days camping and exploring any roads that would be advised to go on or places to see ?

thanks willy

DC
10-05-12, 09:56 PM
Definitely take the north coast road from St Ives through Morvah Zennor Pendeen St Just eventually brings you out at Lands End BEAUTIFUL !!! 8-)

DC
10-05-12, 09:59 PM
You could also check out the Goonhilly Downs road down to St Keverne and Coverack .

Jon_W
11-05-12, 07:57 AM
Kynance Cove and the Lizard are great places.

Dan505
11-05-12, 10:10 AM
stop at Goon hilly satellite station and do the off road segway, soooo much fun!

wi77y
11-05-12, 05:55 PM
http://www.goonhilly.bt.com/

:( looks like fun shame its shut down
ill check the roads out thanks guys

Mark_Able
11-05-12, 09:26 PM
Definitely take the north coast road from St Ives through Morvah Zennor Pendeen St Just eventually brings you out at Lands End BEAUTIFUL !!! 8-)

Yep, I can vouch for that. But I also came across a flock of sheep on the road, rather unexpectedly. Then further on, a herd of cows. Bit intimidating having cows milling around my bike... :o

Dan505
11-05-12, 10:44 PM
http://www.goonhilly.bt.com/

:( looks like fun shame its shut down
ill check the roads out thanks guys
yeah the BT earth station is shut but it has been transformed into an off road segway course
try this ;) (http://www.cornwallsegway.co.uk/)

Bonnielass
12-05-12, 08:37 AM
This does look like fun, maybe we could do this when we go down in July! :)

Just love Cornwall, have a great trip!! :)

Trev
12-05-12, 08:51 AM
Done this trip a few times by bike and car as my brother has a beautiful place overlooking Kennack Sands just round the corner from Coverack.
Depending where you're coming from, by car (or if you just want to cover the miles down there as quick as possible) then A303/A30 to Exeter, stay on A30 to Redruth then down to Helston sees you within 30 mins of coasts North, West & South. I've always thought Lands End itself a pretty grotty place and only worth the last few miles if you really have to stand at the most Westerly point in the UK.
Small roads around there best for a light and nimble bike (my little 660 a great hoot) but have done it on my GSXR11 and still enjoyed the roads, IMO road surfaces better than we're used to round my way although not been down since November so weather may have taken it's toll.
For ride down & back I reccommend get to Exeter then cross Dartmoor to Tavistock, down to coast and then as much cost road as you have time for - West Looe chain ferry saves time.
Going back up to Newquay (avoid town unless on stag weekend!) and onto coast roads to Padstow, etc. A39 Atlantic highway has some great stretches, Bude a nice stop and bikes there most sunny weekends.
Huge difference in mileage and time in taking A30 route compared to smaller roads, 4 hrs 'ish A30, have taken over 8 hours on wiggly roads - mind you did turn round and ride some twice ;)
Enjoy

wi77y
12-05-12, 03:13 PM
just been playing on Google route looks good so far :)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202803622112781494585.0004bfd70c269e f6e0679&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=8&vpsrc=1

DC
12-05-12, 11:28 PM
Try not to miss out the top half of the B3306 through Zennor from St Ives !!! 8-)

DC
12-05-12, 11:33 PM
And try to check out Cape Cornwall go straight on just as youre about to bear left into St Just its only a few hundred yards down that road its a dead end down there and you will have to come back on yourself but i promise you wont be sorry that you did STUNNING !!! 8-)

wi77y
13-05-12, 07:28 PM
oh thought i put em on there lol i spend ages doing one then closed my browser and had to start again. roads noted thanks Daddy cool

Jon_W
14-05-12, 08:07 AM
And try to check out Cape Cornwall go straight on just as youre about to bear left into St Just its only a few hundred yards down that road its a dead end down there and you will have to come back on yourself but i promise you wont be sorry that you did STUNNING !!! 8-)

+1 for cape cornwall. Levant is well worth a visit as well.

Also check out Port Issac and Trebarwith Strand further up.