PDA

View Full Version : Re-fueling

Splash
14-05-12, 07:43 PM
Well...

Filled up at Calcutt Service Station which is located North-bound on the A419 between Swindon and Cricklade... I've filled up there a lot generally as it's on the way to work but not any longer!

I pulled up at the pump, took off my helmet and stuck it on the wing mirror like I usually do, placed my tank bag on the side of the pump as the plating is magnetic (people always give me funny looks for that) then popped off the fuel cap and lifted the nozzle into the tank and waited for the pump to be authorised... and waited...

Until over the PA system I was told I am NOT allowed to sit on the bike while refueling due to Health and Safety...

I only have a small tank (14L inc. 2L reserve) so like to fill it to the brim to get the most possible miles out of it... I can't see how they then watched me hold my bike up with one hand while I filled up with the other - very unsafe!

Anyway they said it's law... I couldn't find anything on it! The service till person said its been in force for three weeks... just bulldust tbh!

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Swanny
14-05-12, 07:50 PM
Yea I've had the same.
Arseholes

CharleyX
14-05-12, 07:59 PM
Splash.... tbh I think a lot of Services are now enforcing this policy like with the removal of your crash Helmet which does pee me off >:( >:(
Guess if you'r having a bad day and thats stray spark ignites your tank you don't want to be sat on it .......
Health and Safety ???? ;) ;)

Snowy
14-05-12, 08:04 PM
Where possible I like to use the self service pumps that you use your card in - seems to bypass the cashier whatever their "rules and regulations". I find it hard to believe there is any actual law to enforce this, but its their right to set them up as they see fit.

wiltsdan
14-05-12, 08:09 PM
Had the same in Luddgershall, merco? the one that sells red diesel,
Anyway will not use them again and go else-where. :)

Mitch9128
14-05-12, 08:11 PM
Fill it on the stand, then top it up upright, bet there is less than a litre in it. I sit on the bike to fill up, and i never take off my helmet to pay, but i'm mad me.

StreetHippo
14-05-12, 08:17 PM
It isn't against any LAW that I know of, merely company guidelines/rules.
Happy to be proven wrong on this.
I have no problems wearing my lid and fuelling on the bike here in tolerant Bassett

Stu

Col
14-05-12, 08:19 PM
:-? 9/10 I usually sit on bike--Sainsbury in Nam don't have a prob-- ;D they even know me with helmet on. Not had a prob anywhere tbh :)

redken1
Ye I don't really understand this rule. I'm ok because I have a centre stand, but as most bikes nowadays only have a sidestand fitted it must be difficult to fill the tank to the top. Obviously with small capacity tanks this must be an issue.

Sometimes I think we are not customers - aliens maybe?

wiltshire builders
Fill it on the stand, then top it up upright, bet there is less than a litre in it. I sit on the bike to fill up, and i never take off my helmet to pay, but i'm mad me.
It's true, i've seen him running across the forecourt with scissors too!

Nelly
14-05-12, 08:28 PM
I've been asked several time at various places to A) Get off & B) take the lid off.
Mind you it was a bit much to have the ESSO at the top of the Dual Carriageway in Chippenham to ask my pillion to take off her helmet as well!!!! >:(

If it is health and safety to get off the bike, why aren't the wife and kids told to get out the car when filling the family car? Surely it would be more difficult to get out of a car in the all too often seen ensuing fireball than throw yourself of your bike??? :-?

Mitch9128
14-05-12, 08:28 PM
It's true, i've seen him running across the forecourt with scissors too!

Snot true really, truth is, i am too feckin' lazy to stand around while filling the tank and would rather sit down.

Mitch9128
14-05-12, 08:30 PM
I've been asked several time at various places to A) Get off & B) take the lid off.
Mind you it was a bit much to have the ESSO at the top of the Dual Carriageway in Chippenham to ask my pillion to take off her helmet as well!!!! >:(

If it is health and safety to get off the bike, why aren't the wife and kids told to get out the car when filling the family car? Surely it would be more difficult to get out of a car in the all too often seen ensuing fireball than throw yourself of your bike??? :-?

No consistency is there, i have filled up there loads, sat on bike, helmet on, looking really cool, and never had a word said.

redken1
14-05-12, 08:32 PM

Good point Neil.

Discrimination me thinks? Our human rights............... :-X ;D

Swanny
14-05-12, 08:34 PM
It was the garage on Bythesea Rd trogtown that told me off for sitting on the bike.
I got off then when she started the pump I got back on :)

And I can't be bothered to take off my helmet just to put fuel in.

Customer service?
Whatever happened to pump attendants that fill up your bike for you???
I remember in the Castle street garage they even used to put two stroke oil in for you 8-)

Mark_Able
14-05-12, 08:56 PM
I'd be interested to know the extra range gained from filling the bike upright to on the side stand... ::)

My worst experience was being asked to pre-pay at a service station in Cardiff, due to the number of drive-offs. I was on a bike with 'CSM Rider Training' splashed all over the panniers. I did also point out that if I was to drive off, I'd only get away with about £10 of fuel, compared to the average car. Plonkers. >:(

Scotty
14-05-12, 09:01 PM
The next time that some jobsworth in a filling station quotes "Health and Safety" at you regarding sitting on your bike, just say "Show me", get them to show you the H&S rule book that prohibits it.
Recently at the Chiseldon station I was asked to remove my lid before they'd activate the pump >:( when I enquired after the reason, seeing as the CCTV cameras would have clocked my number I was told "it's to ensure that you're old enough to be on the bike" FFS! I'm fortunate not to look my age, but I think I'd struggle to pass for 16! How many teenagers joyriding on a stolen superbikes stop to fill it up I wonder? :-? Since then I just use the Pay at Pump option, no hassle then 8-)

NiteW4tcher
14-05-12, 09:14 PM
im going to wear a burkha under my lid....next time i get asked to take my lid off they still wot be able to see my face but cannot ask me to remove the burkha HA ;D

as for staying on bike PPPFFTTTT!!! more and more regulations

Splash
14-05-12, 09:18 PM
Wow - I've only been gone studying for an hour and I come back to two pages of comments, shows it is a fairly hot topic along with the removal of your lid - which to me is pathetic but I always do it just to save the bother.

NELLY - I think you're right, it's ridiculous that your pillion required their helmet to be removed, rude and inconsiderate in my honest opinion and why do they need to see you both if the MAIN rider already has removed theirs for identification?

I also completely agree on your comment regarding the fueling of a family car, we all know that they (a) hold more fuel and (b) more likely to impact horrifically if it exploded if in contact with some potential source of ignition which would cause an effect unbearable to think about (however I have never heard of such an instance - someone enlighten me if you have!)

MITCH - I'd hate to be the till operator at a service station that for once ask's you to remove your lid... I'd keep it on and walk in with your visor closed and an iridium or black lid - scare the mongrels, and pass the attendant some clean underwear!

REDKEN1 - Overall I think it is slight discrimination as per Nelly's points, I feel generally as most of you do I'm sure feel slightly discriminated against daily for riding a two wheeled machine...

MARK - Fair point by the garage, a drive off is a drive off but you are certainly right about the value, simply ridiculous. I had a friend that drove off once (her friend forgot to pay as the story goes) anyway after handing the details over to the police, they then arrived at her house demanding the £5.00 of fuel she 'Stole' - what a waste of tax payers money (I won't get people started on government expenditure - hot topic)

I'm sticking with Scotty now - I'll pay at the pump, unless I fill up at Tesco's extra,Octal Way - they all know me, mostly so it's always a speedy fill up, unless the que is at the roundabout - regular occurrence recently! 8-)

Splash
14-05-12, 09:19 PM
im going to wear a burkha under my lid....next time i get asked to take my lid off they still wot be able to see my face but cannot ask me to remove the burkha HA ;D

as for staying on bike PPPFFTTTT!!! more and more regulations

Laughing smugly in my chair - ideas pass through my head.

Wes
14-05-12, 09:24 PM
There is a garage in hanham (shell) that only accepts pre payment from bikes >:( needless to say i wouldnt fill up there on principal, sainsburys emersons, no problems sat on and never had to remove the lid :)

redken1
14-05-12, 09:29 PM
I forgot to mention that removal of the lid may have something to do with security. Identification in the event of a robbery perhaps?

Not saying I agree, just a suggestion.

Splash
14-05-12, 09:30 PM
There is a garage in hanham (shell) that only accepts pre payment from bikes >:( needless to say i wouldnt fill up there on principal, sainsburys emersons, no problems sat on and never had to remove the lid :)

That, right there, just annoys me! Why should we have to pre pay? what differ's us from going their and filling up in our car to our bike? NOTHING. They just think a helmet, loud pipe and leathers just make us 'horrible people' that everyone should 'stay away from and deter'

Splash
14-05-12, 09:32 PM
I forgot to mention that removal of the lid may have something to do with security. Identification in the event of a robbery perhaps?

Yeah I'd completely agree on that front but as NiteW4tcher quite rightly said, what about people with Burkha's? you can't ID them at all, for what we know some may even be men posing as females?

Snowy
14-05-12, 09:36 PM
I sit on mine while refueling simply because if its on the centrestand I can only get it off from the side of the bike as its so tall. With 35 litres of fuel it makes for a top heavy bike and a bit of a handleful. I wonder how much damage it would do to the fuel rig if I couldn't hold it and it went over..........

I got asked at the Tesco petrol station down on the camping trip last year to remove my helmet....after I had refueled. I said my card only works when my helmet is being worn.....they took payment.

I was in Tesco petrol station in Andover a couple of years ago queing to pay. The cashier asked me to take my helmet off as I was intimidating....can't see what's intimidating about being 6'3", wearing black biker gear and a helmet with a dark internal sun visor ;D ;D.

redken1
14-05-12, 09:42 PM

Yeah I'd completely agree on that front but as NiteW4tcher quite rightly said, what about people with Burkha's? you can't ID them at all, for what we know some may even be men posing as females?

I'd stand corrected, but I think I am right in saying that any reatail outlet reserves the right to refuse to serve anyone. A request to remove a burkha would probably result in cries of Racism.

njl
14-05-12, 09:53 PM
Since then I just use the Pay at Pump option, no hassle then 8-)

I have once had the pump held back from being activated when using pay at pump until I took my lid off, didn't press for the reason why, but I fail to guess.

Beamer
14-05-12, 09:59 PM
I re-fuelled twice yesterday and didnt remove my helmet.....was I meant to ??

And pay before I buy ?? Considering I do not possess a credit/debit card I wonder how that would happen hehe

As for sitting on the bike to fill up....Ive got no chance hehe....I have enough trouble seeing into the hole when standing on tip toe lmao ;D ;D

Must admit I never do take my lid off !! But if I was asked to remove it I will ensure I take my time kitting up properly before leaving the pump. And thats that !!

Dan505
14-05-12, 11:25 PM
Whilst waiting at Chiseldon garage yesterday before the rideout one guy was asked to remove his helmet when he had a flip lid and it was already open!

why should we prepay, sounds ridiculous :o

Geordie Stu
15-05-12, 04:22 AM
I had the same thing happen to at Tesco Trowbridge, used the "pay at the pump" followed the instructions lifted the nozzle & they switched the pump off. Then the attendant came out & advised me. Due to "health & safety" I had to get off the bike.

Our H&S officer has said to me & I quote
"when a person advises an other that it's against H&S, the advisor must be able to provide evidence that it is actually against their H&S policy" unquote. In other words prove it. Or we can ask to see their H&S manual.

You can't quote H&S without backing it up

Jon_W
15-05-12, 07:55 AM
Have never heard of that before. Mind you I don't sit on the bike whilst re-fuelling.

As to the helmet thing. It is annoying, but most places don't seem to care.

Nikki
15-05-12, 09:31 AM
One downside to sitting on the bike and filling the tank right up (if you've only got a side stand) is that fuel seeps out when you put the bike on the stand again if you havent used all of the fuel. My OH used to regularly do that filling up on his way home at a garage just around the corner. So maybe a good reason not to sit on the bike and fill it right up ;D ;D

Just sometimes I feel really sorry for people who work in fuel stations - they have a job to do.

wiltshire builders
15-05-12, 10:16 AM
Just sometimes I feel really sorry for people who work in fuel stations - they have a job to do.
Everybody has a job to do, it's how you do it that counts.

Obviously nobody is going to start a thread saying ' I refueled and the attendant was friendly and nice'
It's just a shame that some people seize any opportunity to exert what little authority they have.
If you tried to pin them down to an exact reason why you shouldn't do it I think they'd struggle.

It's a bit like the BS about using mobile phones in a petrol station.

I've refused to take my helmet off after being ordered to. If they want me to leave, fine. Free fuel for me ;D

Nikki
15-05-12, 11:08 AM
Obviously nobody is going to start a thread saying ' I refueled and the attendant was friendly and nice'

Why not!? ;D

So many of us are so quick to moan and whinge, and yes I can be one of them, but just sometimes trying to be cheerful and decent to people does no harm.

Why get so uptight about the simple act of hoping off the bike to re-fuel? Is it really such a big deal?

I imagine for many people working in a petrol station they have one hell of a lot of miserable gits to put up.

By the way I dont work in a petrol station ;D

Jon_W
15-05-12, 11:13 AM

Why not!? ;D

So many of us are so quick to moan and whinge, and yes I can be one of them, but just sometimes trying to be cheerful and decent to people does no harm.

Why get so uptight about the simple act of hoping off the bike to re-fuel? Is it really such a big deal?

+1. Life is too short. Lets live a positive one!

wiltshire builders
15-05-12, 11:36 AM

Why not!? ;D

Go on then.......

Senna(Dan)
15-05-12, 11:54 AM
It's a bit like the BS about using mobile phones in a petrol station.

I've refused to take my helmet off after being ordered to. If they want me to leave, fine. Free fuel for me ;D

The mobile phone thing is related to the older style mobiles that had slide on batteries. As most modern phones now have enclosed batteries it is no longer an issue. There were 2 cases in Australia and one in America where the individual droppped the phone and the spark ignited the fumes.

Nikki
15-05-12, 11:59 AM

Why not!? ;D

Go on then.......

Done ;D ;D

People are going to think I've gone mad now ;D

spudgun
15-05-12, 12:17 PM
i believe the removal of your helmet is only required when you go into pay, so that you can be identified on cctv, rather than walking in wearing a helmet and sticking a gun at the cashiers head and shouting "empty the till" as some armed robbers do before running off with the days takings.

As to being asked to get off the bike whilst refuelling i can't see the problem - you have to get off when you go into pay (after removing your lid) for the fuel and as said by a few others - if you brim the tank right up it will leak as you put it on sidestand whilst paying

Why not, as a biker, be nice to the cashiers and save them the hassle of asking you to remove your lid - they might serve you with the respect you have shown them

just my 2 cents worth

StreetHippo
15-05-12, 12:32 PM
I have no issue with people who are polite, however I choose not to use stations where I am ordered to do anything.
Vote with your wheels, if you don't like a particular station then use another. If you feel strongly enough then write to the company and ask what they are basing their prejudices on (and it IS prejudice). The spotty youth behind the till is only doing his/her job, that they could be more polite is their only fault.

Stu 8-)

Blackandchrome
15-05-12, 12:33 PM
Never ever sat on the bike when refuelling. ;)
Wherever possible I use "Pay at Pump" :)
If I have to pay in the shop I remove my open face helmet. :-?
Never had any hassle or verbal from cashiers, only politeness and friendly chats about my amazing black and chrome beastie :)
Interesting topic and a few entertaining comments too ;D

Jon_W
16-05-12, 08:10 AM
Wherever possible I use "Pay at Pump" :)

+1. Same here....

Geordie Stu
16-05-12, 08:16 AM
Same, pay at pump where possible. However, I have not had to remove lid when paying at the kiosk. Yet...! If you have filled up with your lid on & approach the counter with your lid on & offer to pay then they are oblidged to take it.

supermancss
16-05-12, 08:59 AM
I think everyone will have had problems in the past. Use the pay at pump method, Cant really go wrong.

Cant understand the logic behind not sitting on the bike when fueling, if its gonna go boom then it doesnt matter if your a foot closer to the tank

Scotty
16-05-12, 09:16 AM
Personally I think that sitting on the bike whilst filling up is plain daft. Compared with on the side stand you can only get a fraction more into the tank, most of which will piss out of the breather when you put it on the side stand to go and pay anyway, and one slip with the nozzle and you'll end up with a lap full of petrol, and the biggest no-no is the possibility of diesel on the ground beside the pump - it's often there and if you're sitting on the bike you probably won't have seen it... One slip of the foot on diesel and you're pinned to he ground by the bike with an open filler cap happily disgorging the 15 litres of unleaded all over you, the bike and the forecourt... All it'll take is one spark and you're the human fireball... ::) Darwin would be proud, remember the woman in York recently? :-?

Mitch9128
16-05-12, 09:45 AM
Filling a bike up whilst sat on it is risky, riding it in the first place is even riskier, maybe even thrice as risky...

Snowy
16-05-12, 10:18 AM
Personally I think that sitting on the bike whilst filling up is plain daft. Compared with on the side stand you can only get a fraction more into the tank, most of which will piss out of the breather when you put it on the side stand to go and pay anyway, and one slip with the nozzle and you'll end up with a lap full of petrol, and the biggest no-no is the possibility of diesel on the ground beside the pump - it's often there and if you're sitting on the bike you probably won't have seen it... One slip of the foot on diesel and you're pinned to he ground by the bike with an open filler cap happily disgorging the 15 litres of unleaded all over you, the bike and the forecourt... All it'll take is one spark and you're the human fireball... ::) Darwin would be proud, remember the woman in York recently? :-?

Hey Scotty, fancy doing some Risk Assessments for me ;D ;D ;D ;D

Scotty
16-05-12, 12:36 PM
Most of us perform Risk Assessments all the time without realising it - it's the reason that we're still alive. Those who don't adequately assess life's risks feature prominently in the Darwin Awards... ::)

Consider this: in Motorcycle Endurance Racing, during a pitstop nobody is allowed to touch the bike during refuelling, neither mechanics nor riders. Do you think that they instigated that particular regulation because everyone enjoys sitting back and watching the refueller at work? :-?

Mitch9128
16-05-12, 12:44 PM
Pah, next you'll be saying I should put my cigarette out while sat on the bike, refuelling it!!

Jon_W
16-05-12, 12:57 PM
Pah, next you'll be saying I should put my cigarette out while sat on the bike, refuelling it!!

and to stop taking on your mobile phone....

Vee4 Gaz
16-05-12, 01:00 PM
Reading this thread with some joy but I'm sure the main reason why they don't like you sitting on your bike while filling it up with petrol is exactly the reason Scotty said. The danger is slipping and falling over with a open petrol cap and possible nozzle pumping fuel if the trigger gets caught open. Makes perfect sense to me. I use the centre stand when filling. simples. (Why they don't fit centre stands to many bikes nowadays seems just silly but that's another topic?)

Has for removing your helmet because of security,,, surely it will only be a problem after you pull a gun instead of a debit card??? I never take mine off and if I get asked to I'll use Snowy's get out of the card only works with the helmet on. If it's good enough for Muslims it's good enough for me. ;D ;D

Mitch9128
16-05-12, 01:06 PM

and to stop taking on your mobile phone....

LOL, i was in Trowvegas a few months back, had reserved something in Argos, so i stopped in the petrol station opposite whilst the missus ran over to collect. After a minute the yoof came out from the till, "you can't park here mate", "i'll be filling up in a sec", "oh ok, can you hang up your mobile though", (i'm at least 20 feet from the pumps), "Err why", "it could cause a fire", "err how, i'm miles from the pump", "radiation innit", cue me laughing my bollocks off, and him storming off shouting "oh just do what you want".

Mobiles at the pumps being dangerous is an urban myth.

wiltshire builders
16-05-12, 01:41 PM
(Why they don't fit centre stands to many bikes nowadays seems just silly but that's another topic?)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

wiltshire builders
16-05-12, 01:42 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha......ha!

Kevinb
16-05-12, 02:23 PM
I always find a Bacofoil helmet keeps the radiation at bay :D

StreetHippo
16-05-12, 03:02 PM
Scotty; as you are a fan of the pedantic, why not document your evidence for the diesel slip while fuelling then dieing during a fireball? Only it's utter boolox like that that gives the H & S nazis a leg to stand on, or slip on..... ;)
Stu

Jon_W
16-05-12, 03:48 PM
(Why they don't fit centre stands to many bikes nowadays seems just silly but that's another topic?)

Good point. Is far easier to re-fuel, maintain, clean, inspect a bike with a mainstand.

redken1
16-05-12, 05:22 PM

Good point. Is far easier to re-fuel, maintain, clean, inspect a bike with a mainstand.

Always fill the bike on the centre stand and having one is a real bonus when lubricating the chain. ;)