PDA

View Full Version : KAM - never heard of 'em.

JoeKilroy
20-05-12, 11:23 AM
So with my bike test Mod 2 coming up again in a month, it was decided I should "invest" in the 2nd hand 'KAM' 125cc at From Bike Breakers. Second day, the bike won't start, so take it back to leave it overnight to charge the battery.

Was running ok (on the whole). All week I was looking forward to riding over this morning to Nick Mitchell's in Chippenham to get some panniers he has for sale.

Again, this morning, the battery is dead. Conked out and wouldn't start when I came back from the cashpoint in Frome town centre. Had to leave it there, walked home, went back an hour later and it started. Got it home, it died again and wouldn't start.

Why do these things wait to happen when you really need the bike? Heartily p**ed off, not what you expect with a new bike, even if it is 2nd hand. If anyone knows who owned this KAM before me I'd be grateful for a chat with the previous owner.

pilninggas
20-05-12, 08:12 PM
A lot of chinese bikes are -reputedly - sold with very poor batteries, when new. Ask the seller if they will put a replacement battery in for you.

JoeKilroy
21-05-12, 11:24 AM
Thank you,

I was annoyed about it yesterday but every time I have had a problem with it , Des at Frome Bike Breakers has helped me, I'm sure we'll get it sorted in the end.

I didn't know this about chinese batteries, thank you.

silly_simon
21-05-12, 07:20 PM
Yep my sons 60 plated sinnis had a duff battery, was fine all the way home from salisbury when I collected it then turned it off on drive, went to restart it and nothing :o dead as a doornail ::) contacted dealer and they replaced with a reputable brand and no probs since :)

goz1960
21-05-12, 07:50 PM
Kam sorry never heard of then, but a good quality battery would be a good start and then use a battery conditioner of some sort.

Toph
21-05-12, 08:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Lou had a red KAM 125 before she bought her YBR..

Chinese bikes are absolute crap... they shouldn't be allowed to be sold, how they pass european safety regs astounds me,

I've repaired a few and the build quality is appalling...bordering on dangerous. :o :o >:(

They are unreliable deathtraps... avoid them ... there's plenty of good quality jap 125's out there.

Rant over !!

Mitch9128
23-05-12, 09:16 AM
I knew i had a pic somewhere on my work pc, from a visit to China a few years ago, this one i reckon is nearly new :D