I am commuting 70 miles a day at the moment on fast A roads
Over to you for your opinions......

njl
20-05-12, 10:21 PM

Ah sounds like Bliss!!

Dan505
20-05-12, 10:26 PM
although i have no experience of other makes, i really like my Pirelli sport demons that seem to have phenomenal levels of grip and very grippy in the wet

Nelly
20-05-12, 10:28 PM
Roadsmart II [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nikki
20-05-12, 10:36 PM
I will need a new rear tyre soon.
Currently I am using Michelin road pilot 2 tc's

The same as you have on the front :)

Rabb
20-05-12, 11:21 PM

I have these on the front too - but it should be OK until the next rear tyre change

Rabb
20-05-12, 11:29 PM

Ah sounds like Bliss!!

It is bliss! - I look forward to every ride (Rain or Shine)
Recently it's been mainly rain......
But this week it's going to be really good weather
- out with the sunglasses...

Jon_W
21-05-12, 08:08 AM
Bridgestone 021's. Great tyre, long life great grip.

Nikki
21-05-12, 09:24 AM

I have these on the front too - but it should be OK until the next rear tyre change

No tyre expert but I think you'll find most manufacturers dont recommend mixing different brands of tyres front and rear (I know some people do though) so why not match what you have on the front this time and get a new matching pair next time?

I'm a serial bike changer and have ridden bikes with loads of different tyres and dont honestly think for the average rider/road use any of the top decent brands are hugely different.

The only tyres I did have which gave noticeable fantastic wet grip were Michelin PR 3's.

Some tyres are better suited to certain bikes too.

MCN do some tyre reviews - Google should help.

Ducatista
21-05-12, 11:42 AM
We both like the Pilot Road 2's in our house but like many things there do seem to be a wide range of views.

wiltshire builders
21-05-12, 01:04 PM
Got a metzler race tec on the front and a roadsmart on the back. Seems pretty good to me

Snowy
21-05-12, 01:19 PM
Got a metzler race tec on the front and a roadsmart on the back. Seems pretty good to me

Tyre threads always generate many differing opinions as to the best tyre, which to me just means they are all pretty good these days. I personally change mine as matched pairs and get two rears to a front. At the moment I have Roadsmarts on both bikes - will be looking at Roadsmart II's or PR3's next time.

Kevinb
21-05-12, 01:23 PM

I use Metzlers on the MT, very forgiving and very good in the wet

Nikki
21-05-12, 06:18 PM
Just a thought not sure if you are aware but most of the major manufacturers have fitment guides on their websites eg

http://www.bridgestonebikersclub.co.uk/tyres.php

silly_simon
21-05-12, 09:29 PM
If you like the PR 2's then my suggestion would be try the PR 3 :)
Apparently a further step up the ladder so to speak 8-)

bobf279
21-05-12, 11:06 PM
Avon storm II ultras for me

Rabb
22-05-12, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the input - I will digest and make my decision from there.

SupeRDel
23-05-12, 07:56 AM
No tyre expert but I think you'll find most manufacturers dont recommend mixing different brands of tyres front and rear (I know some people do though) so why not match what you have on the front this time and get a new matching pair next time?

I'm a serial bike changer and have ridden bikes with loads of different tyres and dont honestly think for the average rider/road use any of the top decent brands are hugely different.

The only tyres I did have which gave noticeable fantastic wet grip were Michelin PR 3's.

Tyre manufacturers will want you to buy two of theirs.

Tyre manufacturers also recommend you change the tyre when it gets down to 6mm of tread depth - when you start with only 9mm when new.. :o

The average road rider will notice very little differance in tyre brands. My classic RD400 had a old 70's Avon Roadrunner on the front since 2005. Hard as nails - have been on club runs with the rest of the boys on bikes with "good grip/handling tyres"
We all rode at the same speed and around the corners - never ever thought I was pushing the tires to any limits.

Be careful of reviews of anything done by bike journo's. Quite often they are that mans pure opinion.
Have written a bit for mags so I know how it works. Have seen road tests done on bikes which consisted of upand down the road to get the photos for the article.

That same article gets reworked and used in 3 or four mags.

Jon_W
23-05-12, 08:00 AM
Avon road runners are great!!! Used to have them on the Superdreams and could keep up with most things round the corners. They stopped makin the runner and went to the road rider which I never found so good.

agreed about reading articles. Having said that, it is all about individual feel and opinion.

Nikki
23-05-12, 09:49 AM

Tyre manufacturers will want you to buy two of theirs.

Tyre manufacturers also recommend you change the tyre when it gets down to 6mm of tread depth - when you start with only 9mm when new.. :o

The average road rider will notice very little differance in tyre brands. My classic RD400 had a old 70's Avon Roadrunner on the front since 2005. Hard as nails - have been on club runs with the rest of the boys on bikes with "good grip/handling tyres"
We all rode at the same speed and around the corners - never ever thought I was pushing the tires to any limits.

Be careful of reviews of anything done by bike journo's. Quite often they are that mans pure opinion.
Have written a bit for mags so I know how it works. Have seen road tests done on bikes which consisted of upand down the road to get the photos for the article.

That same article gets reworked and used in 3 or four mags.

Understand what you are saying and I think we're both in agreement that the average road rider isnt really going to notice much difference.

Journalists are of course giving personal opinions but at least when they do they are testing several tyres back to back few of us can do that. In one of the mags I was reading last night they had a tyre test with 3 people testing them at the same time which was quite useful to get feedback from each of them.

Good old brand loyalty...the marketing experts do a good job ;) :)

Snowy
23-05-12, 11:15 AM
Unfortunatley another problem that arises with tyres is the potential for insurance companies to deny a claim made by you or a third party if there's anyway they can claim your bike is fitted with mismatched or unsuitable tyres. It just gives them another reason to weasle out of paying up. Us bikers may know it was not a factor in an accident but you all know that Insurance companies have profits to make.

I'm not saying its right....I'm just sayin.