PDA

View Full Version : Stoner to retire after this season...

Scotty
17-05-12, 04:30 PM
Just spotted on Bikesportnews.com (http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Casey-Stoner-has-announced-retirement-at-end-of-2012&newsid=7024) - Casey Stoner announces that he'll hang up his leathers after the Valencia round this season...

StreetHippo
17-05-12, 05:21 PM
His heart not in it after the birth of his kid????? :-?
Shame.

Stu

goz1960
17-05-12, 05:23 PM
Good riddance I say at least we will not have to listen to his moaning any more.

Mitch9128
17-05-12, 05:32 PM
Good riddance? To the best rider on the grid?

goz1960
17-05-12, 05:35 PM
He may well be the best, you would not find many people to disagree with that statement but most would probably agree with the statement that he comes across as being a miserable moaning young man. ::)

Last Train
17-05-12, 06:51 PM
Mebbe thrashing everyone else has got boring for him....

Scotty
17-05-12, 06:53 PM
So what? He's paid to ride the bike, that's the bit he enjoys and does best. He's never been happy with doing the media and press side of things and it's a side of his job that he's uncomfortable with but it comes with the territory and he has to put up with it.

We've been somewhat spoiled by witnessing the Rossi years, probably the most charismatic and flamboyant character to grace the racing scene for years, certainly since the Barry Sheene days. Aside from those two, who else has really stood out from the crowd as a personality?

Put yourself in Stoner's shoes - if you were in your mid-twenties, did a job that you were brilliant at but was pretty dangerous, you had a pretty wife and a new family and had made quite a few milllion already, would you want to go on putting your neck on the line or would you prefer to quit while you were ahead and kick back in your cool pad in Australia and raise the kids? Maybe the premature death of Simoncelli has made him think about it a bit too... :-?

redken1
17-05-12, 07:33 PM
I think Stoner should be commended for putting his small child before his racing career.

Moo
17-05-12, 07:45 PM
I think it is also connected to the complete change to CRT that has been proposed for the future. I am not the greatest Stoner fan as a personality but he can certainly ride a bike. On this occasion he has done what he said he would do if the rules changed dramatically so fair play for sticking to his guns.

The family issue as already discussed probably made it an easier decision. Lorenzo to HRC anybody?

goz1960
17-05-12, 07:51 PM
I think it is also connected to the complete change to CRT that has been proposed for the future. I am not the greatest Stoner fan as a personality but he can certainly ride a bike. On this occasion he has done what he said he would do if the rules changed dramatically so fair play for sticking to his guns.

The family issue as already discussed probably made it an easier decision. Lorenzo to HRC anybody?

And could that leave a door open for Cal Crutchlow????

Mark_Able
17-05-12, 08:40 PM
So what? He's paid to ride the bike, that's the bit he enjoys and does best. He's never been happy with doing the media and press side of things and it's a side of his job that he's uncomfortable with but it comes with the territory and he has to put up with it.

We've been somewhat spoiled by witnessing the Rossi years, probably the most charismatic and flamboyant character to grace the racing scene for years, certainly since the Barry Sheene days. Aside from those two, who else has really stood out from the crowd as a personality?

Put yourself in Stoner's shoes - if you were in your mid-twenties, did a job that you were brilliant at but was pretty dangerous, you had a pretty wife and a new family and had made quite a few milllion already, would you want to go on putting your neck on the line or would you prefer to quit while you were ahead and kick back in your cool pad in Australia and raise the kids? Maybe the premature death of Simoncelli has made him think about it a bit too... :-?

Well said...

But he's still a little twat... :)

Col
17-05-12, 10:38 PM
:o :-? :-? see he has taken to using the Royal 'we' as in 'we've had blah...'

like the bit that basically says--'If I can be arsed ..help young riders' ;D

:o ooooooooooo someone knocking on Honda door ??? a Sig. Rossi maybe ;D..

.although :-?

'HRC Executive VP Shuhei Nakamoto said in a recent interview that Rossi will never return to the factory team at Honda.'

Kevinb
18-05-12, 01:10 PM

And could that leave a door open for Cal Crutchlow????

Or me ::)

May not accelerate very quickly with 300lb on board but sticking a size 13 boot out in corners would make one hell of an air brake ;D

Geordie Stu
18-05-12, 03:14 PM
He's not paid to be Mr Personality. He's paid to do a job & he did the job brilliantly.
Agree with Scotty :P The untimely demise of Simoncelli could have played a part in his decision.

Best rider by far. Sad loss, hope he changes his mind :-/

Roxy
23-05-12, 05:29 PM
Sad loss, hope he changes his mind :-/

I don't! ;D ;D ;D

Roxy x

wiltshire builders
23-05-12, 06:02 PM
This is a great way to see who are race fans and who are celebrity fans.

If you're not sure which one you are then just answer this simple question:

Will Moto GP benefit from Stoner leaving?

If you answered no: Congratulations! You are a fan of the sport and can appreciate that he is a consummate professional who is so single minded and focused on racing that he doesn't give a sh*t what people think about him. Refusing to play the media/marketing game and chase £s

If you answered yes: I'm afraid you're not a fan of Moto GP.
Fear not though, there's still shows like Britain's got talent, The voice, and the X factor to keep you entertained. Ooooh I love/hate that (insert current flavour/persona non grata)