PDA

View Full Version : Help

Senna(Dan)
26-05-12, 09:15 PM
I have just bought the YBR from Goldie for Caz.
The problem being is that Caz hasn't taken her CBT yet and it is on 6 June, just want some advice on what other people have done. Whether they SORN'ed the bike or insured it in another riders name until they have passed?
Cheers in advance

voodoo
26-05-12, 09:24 PM
best to declare SORN as it won't be insured etc

plus it'll save the cash/hassle of insuring it through someone else until it's needed

Jacde
26-05-12, 09:37 PM
Insurers won't insure bike unless you have a pass date.
Either Sorn or can you insure it in your name and have her as a named rider?

Loops
27-05-12, 04:55 PM
Can you put it on your current bike policy temporarily?

I got away with having my CBR uninsured for a month at the time they brought in the new rule on continuous insurance. I didn't have any way of insuring it until it was restricted.

I believe there may be a loophole if the vehicle is 'between registered keepers' - my attitude was that until I had the V5 in my hands, the bike was between keepers!

Swanny
27-05-12, 07:58 PM
The bike itself doesn't have to be insured
If it's taxed I would just keep it somewhere safe until she needs it

voodoo
27-05-12, 08:32 PM
The bike itself doesn't have to be insured
I wouldn't be so sure about that
Quote from the Direct website "The new vehicle insurance law means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty"

Swanny
27-05-12, 08:47 PM
Sneaky bastards. >:( I never knew that.
Just another way of getting money out of people.

voodoo
27-05-12, 08:52 PM
Exactly. Whilst I agree that it's a good deterrent for the uninsured drivers out there it's also yet another way to screw honest joe out of a few more bob >:(

BB
27-05-12, 08:56 PM
Sorn it. You can tax & insure anytime you are ready while it's on Sorn.

BB

bobf279
27-05-12, 09:26 PM
Why not insure with the start date to be the date of the CBT it is only 10 days or so. The insurance would only become valid once the CBT was passed but at least you have shown intent if asked.

Loops
27-05-12, 09:44 PM
Sorn it. You can tax & insure anytime you are ready while it's on Sorn.

BB

The only problem with this is that Dan may end up in the situation I had to avoid - until the V5 comes through you have to re-tax it at a post office, which is okay as long as you can get to one!

Goldie
27-05-12, 10:21 PM
I'd keep my mouth shut and my garage locked for a week if that was me ;)

Rabb
27-05-12, 10:30 PM
Sneaky bastards. >:( I never knew that.
Just another way of getting money out of people.

Yep - This is the case.
I bought my 600 and had it transferred to me on the V5 last May.
By August I had a letter from the DVLA asking who I had insurance with?
As I was a learner I was on my instructors insurance 'month by month'.
I was told by the DVLA that this was 'not acceptable' and that I must get my own insurance immediately! I told them that as a learner I couldnt get insurance (as I had not yet passed my test)
They put me in touch with BIBA (Insurance Org) who provided me with one broker that would insure me - So much for choice eh from a leading business organisation! They insured me as a learner (and give you a 90 day time limit to pass your tests) otherwise they re-quote you and you have to pay more Wonga over......

Jon_W
28-05-12, 07:50 AM
You can sorn using the tempory slip. You need to go to the post office though.