PDA

View Full Version : Tyres on limits! bike safe track event?

garvey2003
28-05-12, 03:58 PM
I'm off to castle combe this saturday for the Bike safe/Track event.
My tyres are on the limit. front is borderline on the edge from corning I would guess. Anyway I'm a little short od cash at the moment so can't really afford to put a new set of tyres on the bike this week and knacker them on the track. next week would be better :)

Just wondered how strict are the guys for the assessment ride.

Nikki
28-05-12, 04:44 PM
I'm off to castle combe this saturday for the Bike safe/Track event.
My tyres are on the limit. front is borderline on the edge from corning I would guess. Anyway I'm a little short od cash at the moment so can't really afford to put a new set of tyres on the bike this week and knacker them on the track. next week would be better :)

Just wondered how strict are the guys for the assessment ride.

When I did my BikeSafe the Police Officer that took us out did glance over the bikes taking a look at the tyres.

Dabz
28-05-12, 05:28 PM
They do a general inspection - after all it'd look bad if a police officer was knowingly accompanying a non-road-legal bike! In the past I've had a disapproving look about loud exhausts but nothing more - tyres are a safety thing though so I'm not sure...

Ade
28-05-12, 05:52 PM
I've been to a Bikesafe event where a police officer would not allow someone with an illegal tyre to do the assessed ride.

So you takes your chance if the tyre is that borderline.

You're only going to get a few laps on the track .. so shouldn't do too much to a new set of tyres.

wiltshire builders
28-05-12, 07:26 PM
I rocked up with a straight through exhaust and a tiny number plate.
The officer wasn't happy but just gave me a lecture on how if I lost some luggage and a witness couldn't read my number plate, how would they return my property?

If you're only going on the track with them there's nothing they can do.
I doubt they would be so over zealous to nab you when you leave. The object of bikesafe is to build a raport with bikers and offset the damage done by twats like Wiliamson.

Dabz
28-05-12, 07:39 PM
he's not only going on track - it's a decent length assessed road ride first, then 15 mins track experience after if you want it

garvey2003
28-05-12, 09:21 PM
Think I'm going to sort out some cheap part worns this week