PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Write-Off Threshold !!! HELP !!!

DC
02-06-12, 05:14 PM
As some of you have heard i was involved in a bit of a prang last weekend fortunately there was no lasting damage to me :) the bike however didnt come out of it too well ! [smiley=sad.gif] Ive got the bike in Triumph in Swindon at the moment theyve just done an inspection of the repairs required to get her back to her usual self just picked up the quote today and wondered if anyone on here happened to know what the insurance write-off threshold was is it a percentage of the current bike value or a fixed amount ? would really appreciate a bit of feedback

Regards Andy

Dan505
02-06-12, 05:44 PM
Hope your feeling better bud and it wasn't too serious an off.
if its the same as a car then IIRC it will be classed as a write off if the repairs exceed the current estimated value of the bike but don't forget if they write it off you can still buy the bike back off them in return for less of a payout.

DC
02-06-12, 05:52 PM
Cheers Dan whats IIRC ?

Dan505
02-06-12, 05:57 PM
if i recall correctly :)
you mind if i ask what happened? you not to badly hurt?

BB
02-06-12, 06:04 PM
Its as Dan said. Ghost can also vouch for that as his BMW F800 was a borderline write off or repair only six weeks ago! I think they tossed a coin and it came down for a repair in the end. :)

BB

DC
02-06-12, 06:05 PM
Proper job ! Too much to type a bit F****D will tell you about it when i see you next ! :-/

DC
02-06-12, 06:09 PM
Heard today that if repair costs are 70% or more of the current value of the bike theyll write it off :'(

Dan505
02-06-12, 06:11 PM
ok no drama Andy, just me being nosey but i respect your privacy. let us know if theres any help you need.

DC
02-06-12, 06:16 PM
Im not trying to be private about it its a long story and with my typing skills it would take me all night to put it all down on ere :-/

bobtheimp
02-06-12, 06:22 PM
Yea, I have just done an insurance job for RSA and their threshold is 70% too .. I gather that's about the norm.

Hope you are all groovy fella ...

Dan505
02-06-12, 06:22 PM
its cool, no drama :) don't know how you are for transport at the mo but am off work all next week if you need a ride somewhere to sort bike stuff out.

DC
02-06-12, 06:33 PM
Nice one Dan still got the van to use bikes in triumph just now and could be there for some time if the current speed of the process doesnt change !

DC
02-06-12, 07:43 PM
Yea, I have just done an insurance job for RSA and their threshold is 70% too .. I gather that's about the norm.

Hope you are all groovy fella ...

Cheers Bob i think the amount is a bit below the 70 % good news !!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Swanny
02-06-12, 08:21 PM
I was knocked off my DT50 back in in 1980
Not my fault and their insurance was paying up, it took forever, in the end I rang the bike shop (top of Wellsway Bath) everyday to see what was happening. I think they got so pissed off with a 16 year old constantly ringing them that they got their finger out and fixed it. ;D
Hope yours is fixed soon.

voodoo
03-06-12, 12:05 PM
Heard today that if repair costs are 70% or more of the current value of the bike theyll write it off :'(
Haven't people successfully argued against this in the past as it would cost them however much to replace? :-?

DC
03-06-12, 02:30 PM
Im hoping itll be ok the bikes current value is somewhere between £4000-£4500 and Ive had a quote from Triumph for repair parts and labour £2147.75 which is less than 50% cant do anything until wednesday as insurance office is closed until then Im hoping i can take the quote in and theyll authorize the work I was champing at the bit to get the bike sorted and get back on the road hopefully for official rideout to stratford but i went up to A+E for a chest X-ray last night and it turns out Ive got a couple of broken ribs so Im out the game for a fortnight or so anyway which in a way makes it a little easier not having the bike :-/

Dan505
03-06-12, 06:38 PM
Ouch :(