PDA

View Full Version : Zero Motorcycles

Geordie Stu
30-05-12, 05:00 PM
They are getting better & better

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/uk/promo/spring-2012.php

ro
30-05-12, 05:49 PM
A few months ago, I had a go (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3366515251302.2155333.1521796776&type=3&l=7 ddad5e068) on their dual-sport model and although I enjoyed the ride, I wouldn't want to buy one (certainly not at the asking price). Handling was nice as the weight is all low down and I thought the acceleration was surprisingly brisk, but I had difficulty getting used to not changing gear and the lack of feedback from engine noise. The really big problem though is still the limited range, especially with a model like the dual-sport which would seem not to be only for city commuting.

I wish I'd been able to try the little off-road model, but they weren't giving demos on that one!

silly_simon
30-05-12, 06:06 PM
Interesting for sure but as its an electric vehicle do you have to have a full bike licence :-/ :-/

Dabz
30-05-12, 09:58 PM
No bad looking!

Jon_W
31-05-12, 08:53 AM
Hmmmm.... can I convince work to install a charger....... :-? :D

Nooj
03-06-12, 10:52 PM
They're not zero emissions either unless you charge them with solar power, and how long would that take in this country??

Any what about the tonnes and tonnes of earth dug up just to extract a few grams of rare metal ores to make the batteries which only last a couple of years? Nothing environmentally friendly about that, then you have the ore processing and all the toxic waste that produces... I'll do my bit for the environment by sticking with my 'dirty' petrol engine thanks :-?

Squashed_Fly
04-06-12, 07:12 PM
A few years ago, a study was done, that concluded over an entire lifecycle, from conception to destruction, a Hummer had a lower carbon footprint than a Prius.

Whether that's still true, I don't know as so much more development has been done to maximise the carbon investment in creating, running and destroying/scrapping the electric vehicles. But it was not so long ago. Toyota had an entire factory running, just to make 1 car!

redken1
04-06-12, 07:34 PM
Yep, we were talking about this at the H&C last Wednesday. Funny really because most seemed more concerned that it didn’t sound like a motorbike engine. What about a couple of 500 watt (waterproof of course) speakers fitted and a CD player. You could then ride to your favourite soundtrack – Ducati Monster, Honda Fireblade, Yamaha 250LC, whatever took your fancy on the day. :D 8-)

Squashed_Fly
05-06-12, 07:58 AM
I do believe Ken, that it is being discussed as to whether to make those speakers a legal requirement following car accidents where the victims didn't hear the cars coming.

God forbid they should have to use their eyes and actually LOOK before crossing the road!!!

NoYou
05-06-12, 04:58 PM
When they develop a new way to power electric vehicles, asin not using the age old technology of batteries, i would love an electric bike to be honest. tons and tons and tons of torque, potential for HUGE power output, and a perfectly smooth power output. What is there to complain about?!

Swanny
05-06-12, 05:41 PM
Yea I'd have one and an electric car

Mitch9128
05-06-12, 05:52 PM
Do you need a helmet on these? I saw someone on a leccy scooter t'other day and he had no helmet on???????!

Senna(Dan)
06-06-12, 03:19 AM
I believe there was an article about zero emission bikes in Holland that were being used by dominos to deliver pizza.
They have had to install speakers on the bikes because they were having so many accidents because people didn't even know they were there!
It has reduced the accident rate, but I'd imagine the bosses weren't too happy about all these expensive bikes being smashed to bits because somebody couldn't hear it!