PDA

View Full Version : Scam?

Squashed_Fly
06-06-12, 01:04 PM
I had a call last week from a guy overseas. Said he was calling about my bike, on behalf of a friend as he had a stammer. He was English. Said his friend was over this week, could he email me and come and see the bike? I gave my email address and he has been in touch, and is coming tomorrow.

I said cash only, no 'cashing cheques' etc. he said that was fine, and he had a lot of people refuse to see him as he was calling from abroad and they were worried it might be a scam. He lives in Gibraltar, comes from Surrey.

The only thing he asked was if I could advertise it on motorcycle supermarket as he would get 7 days free insurance, which I think mcn do anyway and it's on there.

So all in all, it sounds quite plausible. The guy seems genuine, and he knows his bikes from his emails.

Just wondered if there is anything I should be aware of, as I don't believe it's a scam, but don't want to get stung. Has anyone else had a similar experience when selling?

Mitch9128
06-06-12, 01:09 PM
Cash in hand before test ride, what could go wrong? TBH the bikes in Gib are circa £1k more to buy, got a mate just bought a 918 over there, for £2.8k.

Dan505
06-06-12, 01:16 PM
agreed, full cash in hand before any test, also advise time limit for test.
check insurance, your be liable if he has none.

one old scam is them asking you to pay for export of the vehicle but is very old scam. just explain cash up front and cash is to buy the bike as seen. good luck :)

Senna(Dan)
06-06-12, 02:51 PM
He sounds like he may well be military mate. As others have said, make sure you have that cash in your hand before even showing him the keys!

Nikki
06-06-12, 05:05 PM
To add to what others have said my husband sold an FJR1300 on Ebay to a guy who came over in a van from Holland with cash in hand! I honestly thought it was dodgy/a scam and never expected him to show up but he was a very genuine buyer. I did check the notes very carefully ;) :)

Loops
06-06-12, 05:31 PM
Maybe have a mate or two to hand so you aren't on your own too.

Only one other thought, do you keep the bike in a garage, or is it new enough to have a non easily copied key? I could get a key cut for my little bike in about 10 mins with no questions asked!

Not that you like to think the worst, but worth being prepared unfortunately... :(

Mitch9128
06-06-12, 05:39 PM
I can beat Holland, i sold one a couple of bikes back, to a Polish guy, he had a van full of them. Buys up cheap bikes every week, drives back to Poland and sells them at a premium, no MOT required so ones going cheap with short MOT are his favourite.

Scotty
06-06-12, 06:12 PM
You haven't given him your home address have you? Arrange a meeting at a neutral venue such as a large local garage or supermarket, ride there in a roundabout way and don't go directly home afterwards. Don't give the address you keep a bike at to a stranger!

SupeRDel
06-06-12, 06:21 PM
Would you buy a bike from a chap who wants to meet you at a supermarket car park or local garage????

Geordie Stu
06-06-12, 06:42 PM
His address will be on the V5.

Rabb
06-06-12, 08:02 PM
I had a call last week from a guy overseas. Said he was calling about my bike, on behalf of a friend as he had a stammer. He was English. Said his friend was over this week, could he email me and come and see the bike? I gave my email address and he has been in touch, and is coming tomorrow.

I said cash only, no 'cashing cheques' etc. he said that was fine, and he had a lot of people refuse to see him as he was calling from abroad and they were worried it might be a scam. He lives in Gibraltar, comes from Surrey.

The only thing he asked was if I could advertise it on motorcycle supermarket as he would get 7 days free insurance, which I think mcn do anyway and it's on there.

I have found in life that this sort of story is generally true - it's far too implausible to be a scam in my opinion. However, protect yourself as you would with any 'buyer / seller' situation.
Just my two-penneth worth.....

So all in all, it sounds quite plausible. The guy seems genuine, and he knows his bikes from his emails.

Just wondered if there is anything I should be aware of, as I don't believe it's a scam, but don't want to get stung. Has anyone else had a similar experience when selling?

Squashed_Fly
06-06-12, 10:06 PM
Would you buy a bike from a chap who wants to meet you at a supermarket car park or local garage????

Plus once I sold him the bike, I'd have to walk home from said garage! Lol

It sounds reasonable. Seems like people buying bikes here to take back abroad isn't unusual.

Thanks all for your replies

DaytonaDog
07-06-12, 02:10 PM
Not a scam I have heard off in my sixteen years in the job and there are plenty of them out there. As long as you get the cash up front before even letting him anywhere near the bike then I can't foresee there being an issue.

Mikkie1986
07-06-12, 03:29 PM
SF i sell to Traders from outside the UK all the time. Sounds ok. They are actually normally couriers for the actual purchaser over seas..Maybe not in this case. Easy he comes pays cash and leaves.. Go onto the DVLA website and understand what part of the V5 you need to keep hold of and what they need to take for export. You will need to write the a reciept for them to register it in some EU countries. If in doubt give me a tinkle.

voodoo
07-06-12, 11:31 PM
As long as you get the cash up front before even letting him anywhere near the bike then I can't foresee there being an issue.
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Any way of tagging along for the test ride?

Squashed_Fly
08-06-12, 02:24 AM
He didn't come in the end.

DaytonaDog
09-06-12, 08:06 AM
As long as you get the cash up front before even letting him anywhere near the bike then I can't foresee there being an issue.
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Any way of tagging along for the test ride?

Having read through my post ago, I've realised what I wrote hasn't come out as intended. I meant to say take all the necessary precautions etc before allowing test ride etc etc. apologies.

SupeRDel
09-06-12, 04:10 PM
Funny old world as classic bikes are regularly imported into the UK.

We have a couple of members who imports RD's and LC's from Europe regularly.

Nice nice classic come from the USA as well - a lot cheaper than restoring rusty UK bikes