PDA

View Full Version : Done for speeding

thepetrolhead91
09-06-12, 11:03 PM
I am ashamed to say, yesterday I got my first speed warning letter in the post for doing 37 in a 30. This was in Chepstow in Wales just off the motorway me thinks. It's made me feel pretty down as I dont like getting in trouble as I try to ride safely and sencibly. No point riding like a looney these days what with fuel prices and the relentless war on speed. Basically have to send this form off and see what I get back. Hopefully not three points haha. I know its no excuses as I was in the wrong, but with most old bikes the speedos are not entirely acurate and I know my CBR's reads less than what I am doing but hey hoe. If anyone had a similar experiance, let me know what happened, I am bricking it a little :P. Anyways, ride safe. Tom

bobf279
09-06-12, 11:17 PM
If it is a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) then you have been caught and it will probably be a fine and 3 points

DC
09-06-12, 11:37 PM
I got flashed doing 38 in a 30 zone a few years ago in bristol i got the opportunity to do a speed awareness workshop i still had to pay £60 but didnt get the points and had to sit through four hours of Q and A not too bad !!! it might be worth asking if they are still available :-/

BB
09-06-12, 11:49 PM
Not all authorities do the speed awareness courses and it also depends on the area and speed excess if it is applicable.

Good luck

BB

NiteW4tcher
09-06-12, 11:58 PM
my missus got caught doing 81 on the A303 she was offered a speed course.....

but i dont think they offer the course if it was committed in a 30mph zone

Loops
10-06-12, 12:31 AM
If they do speed awareness then that's the kind of speed they offer it for - check your paperwork carefully as it wasn't obvious I'd been offered it last time I got one!

thepetrolhead91
10-06-12, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, Ill have to check the papaer work in the morning. My old man got caught speeding and did the speed awarness course. But he also said he got 3 points awell :S. Then again, he was racing a mate and topping 100 the muppet!!

camera.op76
10-06-12, 08:34 AM
hello, they do the speed awareness course over that way... Its normally in a Holiday Inn in Newport. Its no all doom and gloom... You pay 60 quid for a good lecture!

Dabz
10-06-12, 09:05 AM
If your speedo isn't that accurate how about investing in a gps one? I did that on my off roader

DaytonaDog
10-06-12, 10:16 AM
Receiving a Notice of Intended Prosecution doesn't necessarily mean that you will get points or have to go to court. An NIP has to be served within 14 days so they are sent as standard. My understanding is that the eligibility threshold is between 10% + 2 and 10% + 9, so in a 30 mph, if you are between 35 mph and 42 mph you are eligible for a driver awareness course. A course does not incur points on your licence.

Mitch9128
10-06-12, 03:41 PM
Tut tut you'd never catch me speeding...akshirly, that's a lie, they did. There's a sale on at inforad http://www.buyinforad.com/index.php?page_id=4&currency=gbp&lang=en&promo_id= uksale

redken1
10-06-12, 04:00 PM
In 35 years of riding bikes and driving cars, vans etc, I’ve been very fortunate and only ever received one speeding fine. 82mph on the M6 in Cumbria at 10.30am on a Sunday. Could not spot another vehicle for miles. Grrrrr! The law is law I suppose – gotta take it on the chin.

Swanny
10-06-12, 04:27 PM
Tut tut you'd never catch me speeding...akshirly, that's a lie, they did. There's a sale on at inforad http://www.buyinforad.com/index.php?page_id=4&currency=gbp&lang=en&promo_id= uksale
Blimey they are cheap now
I might get one of those for the bike :)

Ah it seems it only knows where cameras are but they don't work anymore so not a lot of point having this

Mitch9128
10-06-12, 05:12 PM
Yeah i was thinking that, they also warn of mobile camera locations, i've got a bike one somewhere in the loft. I took it off when i realised they didn't warn you that fast BMW in your mirrors was actually plain clothed Babylon :(