PDA

View Full Version : Cerruti wants a commuter bike and needs help....

oldfatboy
02-06-12, 08:18 PM
The other half and I went on a road trip today, to look for a bike for her when she (fingers crossed) passes her Part 2 on the 12th. She is looking at bikes in the 600cc range as she has to do a reasonable distance commute, and there's a fair amount of dual carriageway involved.

She needs an upright riding position as she has previously had back surgery, so sporty little numbers aren't an option.

The bike is going to have to be restricted as she is doing her tests on her YBR 125cc.

The bikes she tried were...

Yamaha Fazer - too high for her stumpy legs
Yamaha Diversion - too high for her stumpy legs
Yamaha MT3 - she didnt like the riding position

Suzuki Bandit - too forward a riding position
Suzuki SV650 - too forward a riding position
Honda CBF600 - felt too big

The bikes she likes, but cant decide which to get are..
Kawasaki ER 6F - She liked the riding position of this one, 2nd hand 2010 ABS 4.5k miles £4300
Suzuki GSX650F - She liked the riding position of this one, but not quite as much as the Kawasaki - but its new and only £4995

Her head says she should get the Suzuki as its new and will have warranty etc, her heart says get the Kawasaki as its the most comfortable riding position and she is going to be doing about 55 miles a day on it.

Over to you helpful lot now :) Do you have any opinions on either of the bikes she likes, or maybe a suggestion for a bike that she hasnt tried?

Hazel-nut
02-06-12, 09:01 PM
I have a Suzuki gs500 that's restricted and it's a good bike! Bought it off mark able so it's an ex training bike but still in good condition. Even though it's restricted it goes nicely and is still quick!

silly_simon
02-06-12, 10:13 PM
Weird she likes the GSX650F as that is basically a faired Bandit, Unless the bars are different :o

Another one to throw into the mixing pot is the Kawasaki Versys
These have a very comfy upright position and arn't that tall a seat :)

oldfatboy
02-06-12, 10:22 PM
Weird she likes the GSX650F as that is basically a faired Bandit, Unless the bars are different :o

Another one to throw into the mixing pot is the Kawasaki Versys
These have a very comfy upright position and arn't that tall a seat :)

From memory the bars on the GSX were different from the bandit, but I cant be sure as her indoors spent so long hopping on and off bikes I nearly died of boredom ;D

And spookily enough, 2 minutes before I read the post I said to her..... you should try a Kawasaki Versys :) Great minds think alike ;D

voodoo
03-06-12, 12:00 PM
I can see why the dilemma seeing as the GSX will have warranty etc but if there's back problems involved then I guess the riding position would be most important for me. As she wouldn't be able to go for a test ride would you be able to go in her place to see what you think?

Dan505
03-06-12, 12:05 PM
Not sure about price but isn't the 636 Ducati an upright position?

FJ_Biker
03-06-12, 12:49 PM
If leg room is a bit of a problem have you tried any custom bikes

A lot of older people ride these as well as they are comfier on your back, I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but what is the point of buying a bike you are not comfy with as you will end up not using it.

redken1
03-06-12, 07:13 PM
I would certainy suggest a test ride on the Versys a great little all rounder putting out a decent 64 bhp with plenty of torque low down the rev range where you want it. I understand pre 2010 were a bit vibey (not ridden one myself) but that issue was ironed-out on the current model. Worth a look anyway. IMHO looks cool too.

Nooj
03-06-12, 10:56 PM
A new Divvy 600 is too tall?? :o

What about the Suzuki Gladius, or naked SV650?

Jon_W
11-06-12, 08:10 AM
Cb500.

Goldie
12-06-12, 09:34 AM
Hornet http://www.brightcecilia.com/forum/images/smilies/whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif
I'm 5 ft4 with a 29 inch leg :-*

cerruti
12-06-12, 05:18 PM
I went for the ER6F - I pick it up on Saturday. Was by far the most comfortable bike for me.

Oh btw, did someone on this forum suggest I try a Versys?

If ever you want a laugh, take a short-legged person to the bike shop and get them to sit on a Versys... I got beached :'(

After casually swinging my leg over it, I realised that I couldnt touch the ground the other side, I was also "commited" so couldnt get off... Effectively beached with nowhere to go, until the very nice kwaka dealer man offerered some assistance :-[ :-[ :-[

silly_simon
12-06-12, 05:29 PM
ooppss :-[ :-[ :-[ That would be me ;D ;D

Nikki
12-06-12, 05:51 PM

If ever you want a laugh, take a short-legged person to the bike shop and get them to sit on a Versys... I got beached :'(

After casually swinging my leg over it, I realised that I couldnt touch the ground the other side, I was also "commited" so couldnt get off... Effectively beached with nowhere to go, until the very nice kwaka dealer man offerered some assistance :-[ :-[ :-[

I know that feeling ;) ;D

Goldie
12-06-12, 06:35 PM

I know that feeling ;) ;D

and me lol, I get stranded on most things, most notably, the MT-01 and the new Hornet ;D Had a good 3/4 inches either side under my feet ;D and that's with my Herman Munster Daytona Ladystars on http://uploadingtips.com/smf/Smileys/ALIEN/lmao.gifhttp://uploadingtips.com/smf/Smileys/ALIEN/lmao.gif

voodoo
12-06-12, 09:58 PM
have to wear some heels ;)

BladeTriple
13-06-12, 09:43 AM
When I was thinking of starting my own bike school I looked at Lisa of bikes and ended up buying the Er6 on a 55 plate. The bike is now used by Ash and me occasionally when the speed triple gets a rest.

It's a really nice, neutral machine, well balanced and does everything you'd want fun a commuter but you can also open up that sweet little 650 twin engine and have a lot of fun too. I think I've squeezed 120 out of the one we have but unfaired being the N the wind gets too much by that point anyway.

It's a brilliant beginners bike, nice all round feel to it and you'd both have a lot of fun on it.

Personally, at 5 ft 11 it can feel odd after being on the triple, but that's a really tall bike with wide bars too.

The little Kwak is nice little all rounder x