PDA

View Full Version : skid lids

choppy_1966
23-05-12, 11:25 AM
Hi ,quite new to the shires and wondering what the local police are like regarding skid lids and or no uk approved helmets ?anybody had any run ins? 8-)

Nikki
23-05-12, 11:33 AM
Hi ,quite new to the shires and wondering what the local police are like regarding skid lids and or no uk approved helmets ?anybody had any run ins? 8-)

No Wiltshire Police are lovely :) :)

Mitch9128
23-05-12, 11:36 AM
I think there is a particularly keen occifer around these parts.

choppy_1966
23-05-12, 03:22 PM
Really!!!!How fast is he ?

Mitch9128
23-05-12, 03:40 PM
Ha you can't outrun a radio.

Wes
23-05-12, 04:12 PM
Not wanting to sound too picky, but i wouldn't wear a non approved helmet, they are tested for one main reason, that the contents of your noggin will generally remain........... exactly that, the contents.

choppy_1966
23-05-12, 06:26 PM
Wearing or not wearing a helmet is another topic all together! :-X and as for out running a radio no you can't but if your the silver fox!!!!!!da da da !

Mark_Able
23-05-12, 08:05 PM
You'll be lucky. He has the fastest nicking in the country, longest chase, most nicked in one day, etc... As said, they're approved for a reason. Hate to sound preachy, but why take the risk? A bit like, why drive your car without wearing a seatbelt? You're only doing it for one reason, and that's to piss off the law. I believe in freedom of expression, and all that, but some things are just asking for it. Sorry, just my opinion... ::)

Mitch9128
23-05-12, 08:09 PM
Simpsons are not approved iirc Maybe he rides a heavily anodised Bandit?

choppy_1966
23-05-12, 09:23 PM
I don't do things to upset the law but the law always seems to try its very best to upset me!I always wear a seat belt in a car have had many bikes from ccms(Proper big bore r30m rotax lumps) to hard tailed big ol gs1000 chops to more modern z1000s and cruizers from japs to victorys and have always liked the feeling of freedom and self expression that bikes give you and feel the same about lids as I do about seat belts they should be a choice you make not have somebody make for you!We are all grow adults and know the score but if you want to ride and feel the wind in your hair then providing you have the insurance in place and your bikes in good order why the hell should'nt you ?

Mitch9128
24-05-12, 07:01 AM
Don't worry Choppy, this is Wiltshire, curtains twitch, people tut, the Daily Mail is sold by the lorry load, half the members on here use blue rinse, i'm the only sane one, ignore everyone else.

Nikki
24-05-12, 08:59 AM
Don't worry Choppy, this is Wiltshire, curtains twitch, people tut, the Daily Mail is sold by the lorry load, half the members on here use blue rinse, i'm the only sane one, ignore everyone else.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Nikki
24-05-12, 09:04 AM
....We are all grow adults and know the score but if you want to ride and feel the wind in your hair then providing you have the insurance in place and your bikes in good order why the hell should'nt you ?

Yep - fair point really.

Its likely to be a mess if you crash without a helmet, but then again it is if you dont wear gloves, ride with T-shirts and shorts etc etc and thats not against the law.

Me I wouldnt like to ride without a helmet - bugs must hurt like hell when they hit you in the face and the wind must really mess your hair up ;) :) :)

choppy_1966
28-05-12, 06:01 PM
Until you ride without a helmet you will never know how badly a lid restricts your vision and hearing,you have to wonder how many accidents might have been avoided if the biker had a full range of senses to use ?

NoYou
28-05-12, 06:11 PM
Until you ride without a helmet you will never know how badly a lid restricts your vision and hearing,you have to wonder how many accidents might have been avoided if the biker had a full range of senses to use ?
And you have to wonder how many more accidents would be fatal from people not wearing proper helmets :)

Scotty
28-05-12, 06:18 PM
...and how many of us would be dead were we not wearing a helmet all the time? I would have been, many times over. Hearing is a sense that's useless over about 60mph anyway because all you can hear is wind noise. We may have more peripheral vision but what use is that when riding forwards?
I haven't found that wearing a helmet is particularly detrimental to smell, taste and touch, has anyone else? The greatest sense to use when riding is Common.

Some elements of the biking community are against the compulsory use of helmets.. fair enough, perhaps the law could be changed permitting these Darwin Award candidates to indulge their freedom fantasy on condition that they ALL wear a dog-tag inscribed with "do not resuscitate" so that their wish to indulge doesn't mean that the rest of us are forking out to keep a cabbage alive for the remainder of their sustained life... ::)

choppy_1966
28-05-12, 06:32 PM
look i'm not saying helmets are a bad thing I just want the option to wear one if I want to.Anyway back to what I wanted to get round to being new to the area any Mcc's around swindon that enjoy a good rally/party/run?

Snowy
28-05-12, 06:35 PM
Each roadside death costs us, yes us, £1m in costs and an average of £10K for non fatalities. The local Authority subsidises Bikesafe making it free in Wiltshire based on a calculation that it reduces the number of bike deaths and accidents on the roads. I wonder how much the Council Tax would rise with a change in the law and non-mandatory use of crash helmets?

Oh, and spare a thought for those that still try and give CPR whilst your really already dead, those that have to pick up the remains off the road and those that go and tell your loved ones that you are no more.

I think the helmet law is a good thing just as the law on seatbelts is a good thing. If only the use of mobile phones whilst driving could be eradicated....

choppy_1966
28-05-12, 06:44 PM
so you've never smelt fresh cow **** as you are traveling down a country lane just about to take a bend and thought may be there's some on the line I'm gonna take ? obviously not because that helmet saved you as you went sailing down the road!!!You would never have heard the truck coming the other way because traveling over 60mph exceeding the speed limit with a full face helmet on you can't hear anything But its ok coz your helmet will save you !!Most people die from a broken neck,detatched and scrambles internal organs or probably more common is a complete lack of basic common sense due to the fact they think because they have a full set of body armour and leathers they are indestructable !!!!

choppy_1966
28-05-12, 06:50 PM
I have seen people saved by and killed by helmets and seat belt both have a use that I don't argue with ,I would just like the choice.As for the people that are on the front line dealing with road accidents you have had and will always continue to have my upmost respect you are amazing people and don't get enough reward for what you do.A very tough job.

redken1
28-05-12, 08:11 PM
It appears that a financial saving to the tax payer is one of the arguments being made to justify the compulsory wearing of crash helmets.

Despite accounting for just 1% of road traffic, motorcyclists fall victim to over a fifth of all fatalities on the roads (Bennetts insurer’s statistics).

With these horrendous figures in mind, is it not therefore, a fair and legitimate position to call for the banning of all motorcycles on the same financial grounds?

Snowy
28-05-12, 08:39 PM
It appears that a financial saving to the tax payer is one of the arguments being made to justify the compulsory wearing of crash helmets.

Despite accounting for just 1% of road traffic, motorcyclists fall victim to over a fifth of all fatalities on the roads (Bennetts insurer’s statistics).

With these horrendous figures in mind, is it not therefore, a fair and legitimate position to call for the banning of all motorcycles on the same financial grounds?

I don't know about that Ken but I'm sure that statistic would increase if choice was given over the use of helmets. The vast majority of accidents occur within 3 miles of home and with bikes usually not involving another vehicle. We all see those nipping off to the shops on their sportsbikes wearing tee shirts and flipflops? There's been a few posts on here about that recently. I would bet that the same people would choose not to wear a helmet when they're just nipping down the shops. The gravel rash and months of surgical ops would be replaced by a death in some instances I have no doubt. The helmet law is actually preventing the banning of motorcycles if you want to look at it that way.

The financial case for reducing deaths is clear but in my view its about saving lives......

redken1
28-05-12, 08:55 PM
I was playing Devil’s advocate, challenging the financial arguments Graeme. Many in the anti-biking lobby would argue that a motorcycle ban was about saving lives.

Doubtless the fatalities would be higher if the current helmet law was reversed. It goes back to the age old debate of level of risk versus freedom of choice. :-/

FJ_Biker
28-05-12, 09:08 PM

When bike helmets were introduced in 1973 the fatality figures went up by around 20 percent that year. It's just a fact of life you cannot do break neck speeds without a lid on and you feel a lot more vulnerable so ride slower.

There is also no conclusive statistical evidence in America from states with helmet laws and without helmet laws reference biker fatality.

I am not supporting riding with or without a crash hat, let us have a choice. My choice would be lid on but let us decide we are adults at the end of the day.

Snowy
28-05-12, 09:33 PM

When bike helmets were introduced in 1973 the fatality figures went up by around 20 percent that year. It's just a fact of life you cannot do break neck speeds without a lid on and you feel a lot more vulnerable so ride slower.

There is also no conclusive statistical evidence in America from states with helmet laws and without helmet laws reference biker fatality.

I am not supporting riding with or without a crash hat, let us have a choice. My choice would be lid on but let us decide we are adults at the end of the day.

Really? Well here's a different take from a study in 2002 carried out by members of the Medical Care Research Unit, ScHARR, University of Sheffield on behalf of NHS Executive Trent:

"deaths of motor-cyclists have shown a very steep decline, from 2160 in 1970/72 to 1432 in 1997/99 (-34%). This decline has also been in deaths attributed to head injuries (-72%) rather than other injuries (+30%) (Fig 20). Interestingly, the major part of the decline in head injuries has occurred since helmet wearing became compulsory..."

There's a statistic somewhere to back up anyones argument... you make you're own choices in life (sometimes!)

redken1
28-05-12, 09:45 PM
I do Agree with you Taffy, we should be left to decide for ourselves. Interesting point you make about the rise in motorcycle fatalities shortly after the introduction of the helmet law. I watched a TV programme about the driving habits of owners of 4x4s. It was not extensive research and was by no means conclusive in its findings, but threw up some very interesting food for thought. I suspect a lot of us ride more defensively on a bike than perhaps we would in a car without even realising it.

choppy_1966
28-05-12, 09:58 PM
Thank god,red ken 1 and taffy there are people that can still think for themselves and don't just blurt out all the rubbish that gets force fed to us !

choppy_1966
28-05-12, 10:05 PM
Glad that I can now go to bed and sleep soundly safe in the knowledge that there will always be a good crash helmet debate to be had !sweet dreams allX

wiltshire builders
28-05-12, 10:07 PM
I was playing Devil’s advocate,

Very unlike you Ken! ;D

redken1
28-05-12, 10:13 PM
I was playing Devil’s advocate,

Very unlike you Ken! ;D

Some call it a, "Get out of jail free card" ;) ;D :P

Snowy
28-05-12, 10:21 PM
Thank god,red ken 1 and taffy there are people that can still think for themselves and don't just blurt out all the rubbish that gets force fed to us !

Finally...you got there in the end - well done ;)

Snowy
28-05-12, 10:27 PM
I do Agree with you Taffy, we should be left to decide for ourselves. Interesting point you make about the rise in motorcycle fatalities shortly after the introduction of the helmet law. I watched a TV programme about the driving habits of owners of 4x4s. It was not extensive research and was by no means conclusive in its findings, but threw up some very interesting food for thought. I suspect a lot of us ride more defensively on a bike than perhaps we would in a car without even realising it.

I would be interested to know where the evidence came from that deaths increased after 1973. All I can find on t'internet is that deaths decreased following the change in the law.

redken1
28-05-12, 10:53 PM
Graeme, I can’t answer that one; perhaps Taffy can clarify the source. The statistics I quoted came from Bennetts.

I don’t expect everyone to agree with me and I’m probably in a minority within the biking fraternity on this issue, but my position is clear. An outright ban on motorcycles would virtually mean zero fatalities. Obviously I would oppose a ban and fight it tooth and nail on the grounds that I accept the level of risk involved and should have the right to choose.

In terms of a reversal of the current helmet legislation it’s an academic debate, but I still believe we should have the right to choose.

FJ_Biker
29-05-12, 07:36 AM
Snowy wrote

I would be interested to know where the evidence came from that deaths increased after 1973

I will see if I can find them tonight, I did find them last night but have not got time to look now as I am off to work. The death rate went up the year the law was introduced but so did miles traveled on bikes.

Kevinb
29-05-12, 01:22 PM
Snowy wrote

I would be interested to know where the evidence came from that deaths increased after 1973

I will see if I can find them tonight, I did find them last night but have not got time to look now as I am off to work. The death rate went up the year the law was introduced but so did miles traveled on bikes.

Do you really need to know what happened in the 70's?
Leave the computer alone tonight and as the sun is shining get out on the bike 8-)

Jon_W
29-05-12, 03:28 PM
Snowy wrote

Do you really need to know what happened in the 70's?
Leave the computer alone tonight and as the sun is shining get out on the bike 8-)

+1. Put you helmet on and ride!!!!!

Senna(Dan)
29-05-12, 04:22 PM
Fifth did a road test a few years back where there put two normal car drivers in a Ford Ka first and let them lose for a couple of hours in rush hour.
The following day they changed the car for a Range Rover and the results were surreal!
There was a massive difference in driving styles from the previous day, kind of proved that people will drive differently depending on the vehicle. In the KA not a single overtake and no road rage, in the Range Rover there were some dangerous overtakes and alot of road rage from both drivers!

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 06:51 PM
It doesn't affect me either way.
Personally, in my humble opinion, no disrespect, this is just my view, I feel that if you're riding in a way that doesn't require a helmet then you are a homo.

There I said it.

Nikki
29-05-12, 07:05 PM
It doesn't affect me either way.

Me neither each to there own.

Wouldn't quite go as far as you with your theory though ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

redken1
29-05-12, 07:27 PM
What's a "homo?"

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 07:38 PM
What's a "homo?"

Nice try Ken, we all know about your 'experimental' phase. ;D

redken1
29-05-12, 08:06 PM
I't's called the "Keep digging" experiment Dan ;) ;D

wiltshire builders
29-05-12, 08:09 PM
I don't want to know what you called it Ken, just as long as you used protection...... ;D

redken1
29-05-12, 08:18 PM
I don't want to know what you called it Ken, just as long as you used protection...... ;D

Going back to my pasty - a VAT exempt hot one. ;D ;D ;D

Dan505
29-05-12, 09:01 PM
Go outside, kneel down and headbutt the road.......No? Don't fancy it? Essentially what your going to do if you come off riding without a helmet. I for one like my mug and have no intention of giving it a John Merrick anytime soon, each to there own but i'm sure its a minority

camera.op76
14-06-12, 11:01 AM
Go outside, kneel down and headbutt the road.......No? Don't fancy it? Essentially what your going to do if you come off riding without a helmet. I for one like my mug and have no intention of giving it a John Merrick anytime soon, each to there own but i'm sure its a minority

Thats a very good point... Theres a certain website that has videos of the most horrendus of accidents, involving Bikes. Its mostly cameraphone footage. But still, the results are horrfiying. The human body is an amazing peice of engineering, and quite sustanable of life with the most horrific of injuries - even if its for a short time. When I'm out on my bike, and I start cracking open the throttle, I remember what I have witnessed, both on the net and on the track. When I have had a spill - I've had a few, my head is the first thing to make contact with the ground.

However. I do agree with the right to choose. The choice of survival, or no chance of survival...

Just my opinion! ::)

DC
14-06-12, 12:06 PM
I had a spill three weeks ago and had a proper crack on the head the helmet's a write-off I look at it now and it makes the old sphincter twitch a bit .Ill be replacing it with the same model and theres no way that i would ever go out without a decent helmet on !!! :o

Swanny
14-06-12, 03:18 PM
They still make that old fossil then?? ;)