PDA

View Full Version : Bus lanes in London

ro
19-06-12, 01:24 PM
From yesterday's House of Commons written answers (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm120618/text/120618w0001.htm#12061831000272):

Steve Baker: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what steps she has taken as part of Ride to Work Day on Monday 18 June to recognise the contribution of motorcycles to reducing commuter congestion.

Mike Penning: The Government recognises and welcomes the contribution of motorcycles in reducing commuter congestion and initiatives such as Ride to Work. Although the Government is neutral on whether or not people should take up motorcycling we do, however, recognise that it is a valid transport choice and we have gone some way to create better and safer conditions for those who make that choice.

Local authorities are encouraged to take actions to support motorcyclists such as, providing dedicated parking facilities and allowing them access to bus lanes. I also note with interest that Transport for London have since January 2012, given motorcyclists permanent access to bus lanes on the majority of the capital's red routes.
I remember hearing something about this last year, but I don't think anyone has mentioned it on here yet.

Mitch9128
19-06-12, 01:27 PM
I guess not many on here use the bus lanes in London.

Swanny
19-06-12, 01:40 PM
I use the bus lanes in Bath
Never been to London on a bike and doubt I ever will

Harry87
19-06-12, 06:40 PM
I went to London on a Yam Diversion, just to see what riding in London was like. It was pretty rubbish. Could not filter as the roads were too narrow, just became stuck like the rest of the traffic.

ro
19-06-12, 06:53 PM
My first experience riding in London was still on my 125 just after passing my test. I remember thinking it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, and I had fun doing lots of filtering! I was glad to have a sat-nav with me though for early warning of turns as it's very easy to miss signs and get stuck in the wrong lane.

Wes
19-06-12, 08:17 PM
Just be a little careful, im off to the ace cafe in a weeks time and its not all the London councils that allow bikes in bus lanes, some do, some don't, best to check before you leave.

Jon_W
20-06-12, 08:14 AM
Good to know. I go to London a fair bit, usually on the bike.

You to know if this is for just central London or the whole of Greater London Ro???

ro
20-06-12, 11:44 AM
You to know if this is for just central London or the whole of Greater London Ro???I believe it is the whole of London, but only for TFL "red routes". Here is an explanation and maps (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/redroutes/10151.aspx).

Jon_W
20-06-12, 11:49 AM
Cheers Ro. :)