PDA

View Full Version : Replacement handlebars for an FZS600?

lolliver
20-06-12, 09:43 AM
Hello all!

I've been and bought myself a bit of a project bike. It's an old 1998 Fazer 600, in dire need of a bit of paint and general TLC.

The bike was dropped and the front end was smashed up apparently, leading to the previous owner removing the fairing and installing some strange low/wide Renthal handlebars that I don't like very much (makes my shoulders hurt and feels like I'm leaning too far forward)

Where would be the best place to get a set of stock FZS600 handlebars to replace these Renthal ones?

I tried eBay and wemoto but had no luck there!

Also there's a nasty scrape on the engine casing that I'd like to deal with. Can anyone advise whether it's safe to sand down an engine case to paint over the scratch?

Thanks for any advice offered!

P.S turns out that Fazer's without the front fairing look amazing! I'll get some pics up when it's a bit more presentable.

Jon_W
20-06-12, 11:44 AM
Have a look in GM Stevens if your near Trowbridge. They have a good stock of different design handlebars.

The other options ou have are to buy new but that could be expensive. Talk to Fowlers parts department or Pheonix or to change the risers if this is possible.

lolliver
20-06-12, 12:29 PM
Hmm I hadn't considered GM Stevens! Good advice ta =) I might get lucky with a bike breaking place too I guess.

Any advice for my engine paint question?

silly_simon
20-06-12, 04:28 PM
Have a look here mate

www.foc-u.co.uk

Thats the home of the fazer owners club and I'm sure someone on there would have a standard set of bars and probably an engine casing or three :) :)

lolliver
21-06-12, 08:58 AM
Ahh great find! I'll go sign up and pester them =)

Cheers guys.

Nooj
22-06-12, 11:47 PM
I got rid of the stock bars and put FZS1000 bars on mine when I had one, much better steering feedback and control. Do you know which Renthal bars you have? The Ultra Lows work well on the old Fazers, but a few different ones fit so maybe your bike didn't come with the best choice?

Don't suppose you need any engine bits do you? I have three FZS600 engines sat in my garage getting in my way, you should be able to make one working motor with a selection of spares from them. £75 for all three if you're interested in them.

lolliver
23-06-12, 10:07 AM
Nah I'm afraid that I don't know the model of Renthal bars that are on it. They literally look almost like a flat bar, it's really odd. Once I get her restricted today I'll pop over to GM Stevens and see what he's got to offer.

Thanks for the offer of the engines Nooj, but I think (hope..!) that the engine's fine for now thanks. I'll definitely be in touch if I find something damaged/missing though, cheers 8-)