PDA

View Full Version : FREE First Aid Course for Bikers

Jim_SEC_Bikers
22-06-12, 11:25 PM
I know Kent is a bit of a way from Wiltshire but I'd like to extend an invite to you all anyway! We do have 6 Fire and Rescue Services interested in rolling the scheme out in their own areas although Wilts isn't amongst them, yet, who knows with a little lobbying it may well see the wisdom in the course, we have so far had 390 Bikers attend (25 at a time) and the feedback has been 100% positive. Read on for more info:

Biker Down, Biker In Attendance!

The Fire Bike Team at KFRS has developed a new strategy which we are now rolling out to Bikers across the counties of Kent, Sussex and Essex. Read on for more information on the reasoning behind it and the format.
Many bikers ride in groups or pairs and it is often the case that when one is involved in an accident the first person in attendance will often be a fellow biker, the care of a downed rider is uppermost in rider’s minds and many clubs and groups often discuss the need for the training of riders in how to deal with a crashed biker. As you are probably aware injured motorcyclists need to be dealt with in a specific manner by a First Aider due to the mechanics of the type of injuries possibly incurred and the sensitive issue surrounding helmet removal from injured bikers.
This FREE course is conducted at Ashford Fire Station, titled ‘Biker Down, Biker in Attendance’, it is essentially a ‘First Aid for Bikers Course’, but includes three modules:
1. INCIDENT SCENE MANAGEMENT
A presentation from a Fire Bike Team member, on scene management and personal safety for a biker happening upon an RTC involving a motorcyclist, this covers the individuals initial considerations including their own DRA to assess the most appropriate action to take in order to protect themselves and other road users at the scene, an order of actions and instruction on management of resources available (i.e. other witnesses). Information they should gather to assist attending Emergency Service Personnel and possible legal obligations.

2. CASUALTY CARE
This module is delivered by qualified Life Support Instructors, from KFRS with Motorcycle First Aid specific, expertise, covering; Trauma and mechanism of injury, Snatch rescues, why when and how, basic life support, CPR, managing spinal injuries and crash helmet removal, when and how.

3. THE SCIENCE OF BEING SEEN
To end the session the attendees receive instruction and advice on Conspicuity. The presentation is a fascinating insight into some of the myths about Hi Viz, does it really work and why can’t some drivers see us?
Module 3 is delivered by Kevin Williams of Survival Skills Motorcycle Training, who is an Advanced Instructor and widely experienced in both riding and lecturing, a recognised Motorcycling Author and Media Columnist, he regularly leads parties of bikers both in this country and abroad instructing in Advanced Riding and Advanced Theory.
Our aim is to offer this course to all bikers. We feel this will prove to be a highly valued service within our minority group of road users, who make up the highest casualty rates. Find out more on our Facebook page just search for Kent Fire Bike or message me on here
Jim Sanderson
Crew Manager, Fire Bike Team, Kent Fire and Rescue Service.

Beamer
23-06-12, 06:50 PM
Hey JIm ....welcome to WIltshire BIkers

I think it's an ace idea and it really is a shame wilts don't have it on offer, fingers crossed they will......it'd be good to know if they do....or might be worth letting us on here know where the nearest event is taking place

Thanks for your input

Tina :) :)

Loops
23-06-12, 07:10 PM
It sounds like a good idea to me too! Lets hope Wilts can be pursuaded to run it as Kent is a fairly long way :(

BB
23-06-12, 08:51 PM
I'm sure I have seen this adviertised more locally than Kent in the past, but can't recall where or when. :P

BB

Dan505
23-06-12, 10:05 PM
well worth a look

Jim_SEC_Bikers
23-06-12, 10:18 PM
I'm sure I have seen this adviertised more locally than Kent in the past, but can't recall where or when. :P

BB
Similar schemes are /have been available, the best example is FBOS First Bike On Scene which was started by the North East Ambulance Service, but all of them charge (we don't) with ours there are three modules with Mods 1 and 3 being again original to 'Biker Down' and with BD every attendee gets the free Bikers First Aid Kit (worth about £20). I can say with certainty that it's original to Kent becasue I thought it up and put it all together, it's been running since the first pilot in August last year and so far has been attended by 390 Bikers, I have 7 Fire and Rescue Services now interested as East Sussex contacted me today! :)
Hampshire are also very aware of the scheme and I have hopes that they may adopt it. The more the word is spread the more favourably Services will look at it, it really is a case of supply and demand I suppose, if the public shout loud enough that they want something we, in the Fire Service, do tend to listen.
When I have enough posts on here to allow me to post pictures I shall put some up of it in action. There is a video about it available on the Kent Fire and Rescue website under the ride safely tab.

Maz
23-06-12, 10:20 PM
I would always say FA is brill for everyone!

Everyone in school and employers should be taught it!

Ive been an responder for the nhs to being amd advamced first aider knowing medical gases and aed ect... now am just an FAW But its worth everything even that little knowledge goes a long way!

welcome. ;)

Jim_SEC_Bikers
23-06-12, 10:24 PM
Totally agree Maz!

Jon_W
25-06-12, 08:08 AM
Great idea. Might be a good excuse for a trip to Kent.

Ducatista
25-06-12, 09:04 AM
I did a "First Bike on Scene course" in 2009 with Somerset Road Safety Partnership.
It was free but on a week day.

I have to work now but it might be checking out whether the west of England road safety partnership or Somerset road safety partnership do these.

Senna(Dan)
25-06-12, 12:21 PM
I am fortunate to get training at work, I have only used it properly twice.
It makes the world of difference and can often calm the situation down, like people running about like headless chickens.
You never know when you will need this and I recommend to anybody who rides.

Ducatista
25-06-12, 01:22 PM
I am fortunate to get training at work

Most "First Aid at Work" type courses don't include things like helmet removal or incident management.

I agree that First Aid courses of any kind are really valuable, but there are specific ones that are applicable to bikes.

I would urge anyone to take any training in First Aid they can get as it might help out someone in public or your own family. If your company let you do it for free then so much the better. I've just done one with St Johns Ambulance and one of the advantages is that I'm now insured to do First Aid which I think is a useful benefit for both other by standers and for the casualty.

Senna(Dan)
25-06-12, 06:08 PM
Luckily Duc,
It is through the military and goes far more in depth than most, tourniquets generally aren't covered on most that I have done.
They do provide an annual bike safety one as well, this is when Thames Valley ambulance service come down and teach things like helmet removal.