PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclists Matter Petition

Loops
23-06-12, 08:08 PM
Had a reminder email about this from Bennetts today - they still need 25,000 more signatures with only 24 hours left.

Anyone not signed it, read and think about doing so, and doing it now!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26272

cerruti
23-06-12, 08:34 PM
Done

Marmalade
24-06-12, 10:54 AM
2 things wrong with this.
First one is Bennetts making this into a huge publicity benefit for themselves and the second is there are so many petitions that people lose the will, this keeps numbers down and shows the government just how much nobody really cares that much by just how low the count is.

There would have been more sigs if bennetts hadn't turned it into their own private circus.

redken1
24-06-12, 11:13 AM
Don’t get me wrong, I am all in favour of any campaign which promotes and/or benefits Bikers, but like Marmalade, I believe this petition would have carried more clout if it had been initiated by a Biker or Biker’s group. The government may just dismiss it out-of-hand as a clear ‘conflict of interest’ on Bennett’s part.

Jim_SEC_Bikers
24-06-12, 11:48 PM
Have to agree with Redken and Marmalade on this one it's stinks of being a publicity stunt by Bennetts and lets face it, asking a question about motorcylist awareness on the car theory test is achieving what exactly? It's hardly tackling the issues surrounding the real reasons we are vulnerable, these being the ineffectiveness of drivers search patterns (because a) they are human and b) they aren't into bikes), causing them either to not see us or to be unable to anticipate our actions when they do, these combined with our own inability to always recognise when we are less likely to be seen and subsequently not take suitable preventative action are the BIG issues surrounding the KSI (killed or seriously injured) figures.
If Bennetts were serious they would be lobbying for more than just a question included in the, rather forgettable, theory test. It's seems to me to be a token gesture to get some attention.
Jeez I'm really turning into a synical, miserable old git! >:(

Marmalade
26-06-12, 11:06 AM
All this think bike stuff is absolute crap anyway.

Why not have a 'THINK' campaign?

That is all that is needed. Just think, and drive. No special bike awareness needed, use your mirrors, indicate, look, don't weave across lanes, etc just all basic driving that would make the roads safer for everyone.

Jon_W
26-06-12, 01:05 PM
All this think bike stuff is absolute crap anyway.

Why not have a 'THINK' campaign?

That is all that is needed. Just think, and drive. No special bike awareness needed, use your mirrors, indicate, look, don't weave across lanes, etc just all basic driving that would make the roads safer for everyone.

Agreed. Bring back the THINK! adverts.