PDA

View Full Version : Ducati 916, Buying ones dream bike.

SupeRDel
14-06-12, 06:07 PM
On the aircooled RD club forum we have a section called the "The Garage wall" where members put stuff about their other non RD bikes.

Here is wot happened when a member bought hi dream bike..........

http://www.aircooledrdclub.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34864

Some of you may enjoy a good read. Look at the bike in the first photo. Would you buy it?

goz1960
14-06-12, 06:52 PM
What a fantastic write great reading. ;D ;D

SupeRDel
14-06-12, 07:01 PM
Just shows what can lie beneath the fairings. The northern Irish MOT system is different to ours. They have set centres where you book a slot and they are done conveyor belt style

pilninggas
14-06-12, 07:06 PM
Great reading - he is such a stickler for detail, that it almost holds him back (i have seen plenty italian bikees with stick on mph/kph decals; would have got him an mot pass for pennies). The money he is spending is mental, at least it is all parts as he has the skills.

The flip-side is that 916s are now getting very sought-after. With stainless bolts, repainted cases, upgraded electrical system and some mods to make it usable, he potentially has a nicely appreciating classic superbike.

thanks for the link, Del.

Scotty
14-06-12, 07:20 PM
A very interesting read, the guy must have the patience of a saint, but even that was starting to wear thin by the foot of page 7. If anyone asks me if I'd like a Ducati I'll direct them to this story...

"Character" - that mis-used euphemism to disguise a great concept and styling, sadly under-developed, untested, unfinished, rolling changes throughout the model life, and that was before the previous owner(s) had started bodging it to hell and back, and from the initial post it would appear that he bought it without seeing it first! ::) He did implement some top fixes to it though, it must be said...

SupeRDel
14-06-12, 07:26 PM
Being a classic club we have another section called the "Restorations Diary" - members tell the stories of their on going restorations.

Its now our busiest and most popular part of the forum - some of the detail is astounding

Swanny
14-06-12, 07:52 PM
How I have managed to put 16 miles on it is a total mystery (although 2 of them were pushed)........ :)

Amazing bloke being able to do what he does, I have nether the patience or the skills 8-)

Hope he gets it sorted soon. Totally put me off ever owning a Ducati

Last Train
14-06-12, 08:35 PM
That's top work and great diary keeping. Definitely a bit of OCD going on.

8-)

Rabb
14-06-12, 08:45 PM
I like the looks of all Italian things (including Ducati bikes)
- but just like their cars and washing machines - they look great; but if you look at them the wrong way they will fall to pieces!

voodoo
14-06-12, 09:13 PM
gorgeous looking machine, especially once hit with the OCD stick

definite change to the future bike list though..... ducati :D

Mitch9128
14-06-12, 09:19 PM
To be fair that one was obviously previously maintained by an utter incompetent, 916's etc benefit from loving ownership, however current machines are as reliable as Jap offerings.

Swanny
14-06-12, 09:20 PM
OCD is a great quality in a woman :)

Mark_Able
14-06-12, 09:21 PM
Always loved the 916, but would never buy one because of the build quality. It would only end up in my dream bike garage if I got someone else to do a pukka restoration on it... ::)

Senna(Dan)
14-06-12, 09:24 PM
I'm glad I bought the F4 instead of the 916 now.
Poor man, the previous owner obviously wasn't as loving towards his machine as this guy clearly is!

whizz
14-06-12, 09:40 PM
as a few of you may know ive owned two ducatis 916...and 996...both were no trouble at all...but you need to be sure of what you are buying...dont let this put you off..the smile while riding them is worth every penny... :)

wiltsdan
15-06-12, 03:46 PM
Hmm, I think I'll save my money for an sp1 now. :)

Mitch9128
15-06-12, 05:18 PM

More championships, in fact a lot more, won on a 916! People who say they are unreliable, are usually those who have never owned one.

470four
02-07-12, 04:00 PM
The 916... A LEGEND...

Unfortunately a colossal PITA to work on, quite a mess of wires, hoses & plumbing under that fairing. :o

The desmoquattro engine itself is unserviceable by most mortals, & will cost a fortune to get done in a dealer? The shims themselves are notoriously fiddly to even see, let alone swap out in services - easier to drop the engine out to do the belts etc?

The later Testastretta engines were a LOT more user-friendly (998 - 999 etc) but still not for the faint-hearted. This is not a toy - not by any means a Jap inline4 you can pull out of the garage on a Sunday, abuse & repark? It will need a LOT of looking after, they are by no means "normal" motorcycles, but the EPIC sound, torque & riding pleasure from a good one will make you smile for hours!

All Ducatis of this vintage have their faults & niggles - it is however easy enough through a HUGE amount of research & homework to work your way down a list and make them a very tidy, reliable motorcycle? Most of the bad Ducati experiences have come from people not prepared to put in the hours to maintain them - of COURSE they will break down!

Would I buy a 916? Of course, who wouldnt? I would do exactly the same as many of my Ducati forum friends have done and strip the bike down to the last nut and bolt, debug it, and reassemble.

Would I buy another Jap bike? Unlikely. Another nameless soul-less plastic missile...

Dont pass judgement or comment until you have at least ridden one - they really are something else! 8-)

470four
02-07-12, 04:10 PM

If you want a v-twin sportsbike - dont mince around pretending, buy a Ducati! Live the dream... Only recently a saw a Honda VTR1000 all resprayed in red with the tank decals done in a Ducati font?? I would put this particular faux-pas on a par with wanting a Harley, but settling for one of the Jap rip-offs instead.

SP1/SP2? Gorgeous! Nearly got one myself - not keen on them being a copy, also quite a thief magnet still??

VTR1000 "Firestorm" (Yawn.) The Ford Mondeo of the v-twin's.

TL1000 Have owned a few Suzukis, not keen on their ability to rot before your eyes...

Life is too short not to live your dreams... I wanted a Ducati for the last 17 years, last April I bought one and havnt looked back? :) :)

If you do - take somebody who knows Ducati's to look it over! ;)

Scotty
02-07-12, 07:36 PM
It's so funny how defensive Ducati riders become.. ;D

I had a test ride on an 851 in 1990 when they were all the rage and found myself completely underwhelmed, couldn't see what the fuss was all about (and it was a genuine half hour ride on roads I knew well). Last month Bike mag had a Panigale for testing duties and one day it just refused to start... Character my arse! There is simply no excuse for unreliable bikes nowadays, especially when they're brand new and cost the far side of 20 big ones... all the "they're as reliable as Japanese bikes nowadays" is no more than wishful thinking.

SP1/2s aren't a copy of Ducatis, they were a necessary move in order to compete under the rules written especially for Ducati by the Italian WSB series owners. It was particularly satisfying to see Edwards beat Ducati twice, especially in the classic 2002 showdown at Imola... You can fire all the "plastic missiles" barbs that you want Darren, but I prefer a bike that I service when it needs it and doesn't break down, no matter how much abuse it receives. You ride your preference and I'll ride mine, but don't look down your nose at people who don't ride ditch pumps.... ;)

whizz
02-07-12, 08:23 PM
im still sticking to the fact that i loved both of mine and they wernt that bad to work on ...its only nuts n bolts .... ;D loved the ditch pump reference ....lol

t3scn
02-07-12, 08:46 PM
Nice project,

The 916 looks lovely once restored, I keep meaning to start a project like this myself.

Once a Ducatisti allways a Ducatisti :D

470four
02-07-12, 09:42 PM
It's so funny how defensive Ducati riders become.. ;D

I had a test ride on an 851 in 1990 when they were all the rage and found myself completely underwhelmed, couldn't see what the fuss was all about (and it was a genuine half hour ride on roads I knew well). Last month Bike mag had a Panigale for testing duties and one day it just refused to start... Character my arse! There is simply no excuse for unreliable bikes nowadays, especially when they're brand new and cost the far side of 20 big ones... all the "they're as reliable as Japanese bikes nowadays" is no more than wishful thinking.

SP1/2s aren't a copy of Ducatis, they were a necessary move in order to compete under the rules written especially for Ducati by the Italian WSB series owners. It was particularly satisfying to see Edwards beat Ducati twice, especially in the classic 2002 showdown at Imola... You can fire all the "plastic missiles" barbs that you want Darren, but I prefer a bike that I service when it needs it and doesn't break down, no matter how much abuse it receives. You ride your preference and I'll ride mine, but don't look down your nose at people who don't ride ditch pumps.... ;)

The 1990 851?? A parts bin special, the 2nd generation 851 was a far superior bike, the 888 which followed was a World-beater, the 916? Say no more...

Every marque has its not-so-greats, the 1990/91 900ss was also challenged, the 1998+ 900SS injection was truly bizarre in its choice of clothes, as was the Paso?

So - you havent rode a Ducati for TWENTY-TWO YEARS? Well thats an up-to-date review then... ;)

I remember riding some truly terrible bikes at that time but to be honest am open-minded enough not to write off the entire make? That would be a truly bigoted decision.

NO machine, motorcycle or car is 100% reliable. New cars & bikes break down, all part of the shakedown period, if they didnt the AA etc would be short of business... Not for one second did I say they didnt have issues? A 17-year old car/bike/whatever will always show its age from time to time.

Im sure Honda did kick ass with its 90deg L-twin, how predictable that a multi-million dollar multi-national company such as Honda could out-budget, out-preform a small Italian company? It took them long enough to do it tho, on what was a hi-budget L-twin. Clapclap. :D

Doesnt matter to me, as much as Rossi not doing so well on the Ducati today? Wouldnt buy a Harley either but each to their own. :)

Horses for courses - & mine is red. 8-)

470four
03-07-12, 03:46 PM
Found this a few months back... :)

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/duckonwall.jpg

House is in England, bike supported by:

"mounted on two 20 inch 6mm plates with 6 M12 rawl plugs holding each to the wall which had 20mm bar welded onto it that went through the wheel centres. Also had an eye bolt in the wall with a strap round the frame "just incase". Safe as houses at that time I also had an RSV Mille and Honda SP1 still have and ride the SP1 and the Duc is still mine and running."

:D

Last Train
03-07-12, 03:54 PM
8-) 8-)

That is top interior decor.

Had a smililar sort of thing, though not wall mounted, in my gaff a year or so back. Made a great coffee table. ;D

DC
03-07-12, 07:09 PM
I reckon his mrs told him if he ever rode that bike again she would leave him so he conceded and thought he would teach her a lesson in the process !!! ;D

Jon_W
04-07-12, 12:56 PM
The only ducatti I've ever really wanted is the 888..... don't ask why...

but

I'll still stand by my Sv!!! Top bike!!!!! 8-)

470four
04-07-12, 04:13 PM
The only ducatti I've ever really wanted is the 888..... don't ask why...

but

I'll still stand by my Sv!!! Top bike!!!!! 8-)

Why, are you waiting for recovery?? :D ;D

LOVE the 888's! The SP5 in particular... My mate in Westbury has an SP4 which he keeps in his Front room. :)

The 888 is a hairy-assed bar-room brawler to the 916's professional boxer, in another light - Brad Pitt to David Beckham... Everyone seems to have had a 916 nowadays?

Would like:

888 SP5

Bevel 900SS in black & gold

A Multistrada 1200 for touring etc

Panigale? maybe next years... test rode one a month or so back (Crosbie took the Diavel out at the same time, never seen him look so wide-eyed, lol) TINY bike, like a 600?? Stuck to the floor, firm but forgiving suspension... they have somehow worked the exhaust flap-valve to silence the bike at 5500rpm for noise testing purposes, above and below that it is nothing short of an aural delight... 8-)

Rode around for a few miles getting used to the thing, on the way back the lead bike gunned it off down the carriageway... I opened it up in 3rd & it SURGED off down the road... peak power came in, the world went backwards and at 90mph the front wheel rose a few inches off the floor and pitter-pattered down the road... :o :o ;D

(OMG)

Giggled all the way back... with great power comes great irresponsibility. ;)

470four
04-07-12, 04:23 PM
Bevel 900SS - the LEGEND.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8yEIQbFV8c

SP5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYOlKcgIiI

The clanking dakka-dakka sound is the infamous Ducati dry clutch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIr75i_h_M

It is NOT low on oil

- not a diesel

- doesnt need a new camchain

- doesnt need a rebuild. ;D

More bevelness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5Xv7O6he0