PDA

View Full Version : HOLY POOP RIGHT IN MY PANTS

Crosbie
04-07-12, 09:26 AM
Morning,

Riding to work this morning, very lucky to get here in one piece. >:(

anyone ride this stretch of road marked in the picture?

I ride it 5 times a week so am pretty conversnat with it. Or so i thought i was. Its like a sheet of glass when it gets wet due continual poor resurfacing jobs. the only bit of grip is dead center or each lane, stray off that on a bike and you have limited control under any acceleration.

This morning within the space of 100m i had 3 (what felt like) huge fish tails resulting in the back end of the bike going left then right under very little throttle. God knows what the van coming towards me and car behind me thought! :-[

should i be writing to the local autority to highlight the condition of the road (i do for pot holes) or just not be such a pansy and see if i can get the back end out 90 next time? :o lol

Rabb
04-07-12, 09:42 AM
Hi Crosbie - Glad you're OK
That section of road is appalling for bikes. I very rarely use it now (and I'm glad I don't have to)
I used to use it every day ( in a car ) which is a lot easier.
I would report it to the council - maybe they will do something about it?

Geordie Stu
04-07-12, 09:44 AM
Any chance of taking a picture of the state of the road, then send that along with your compliant.

NoYou
04-07-12, 09:54 AM
maybe they will do something about it?

Hahahahahaha oh people on here do make me laugh sometimes

Crosbie
04-07-12, 09:58 AM
I will stop and get a picture thisevening on my way home (which is sure to still be wet with this weather) It has very pretty refletions of the hedge row all the way along!

Rabb - i have used this road for the last 8 years and is has been 'sugar coated' 3 times i think in that time. Each time it has been knackered within 2 months due to the occasional hot day and HGV's using is regularly thus tearing up the fresh chippings creating bear strips on the old surface which then gets continually polished by the traffic. It really has never been a great bit of road.

I would deem it not fit for the traffic it recieves and could cause a serious accident before too long.

I think i will highlight the potential issue to the coulncil rather than complain. ;) I know for past experience that complaing to the council (in the experience of wiltshire anyway) does not help one bit.

Dan505
04-07-12, 10:09 AM
if you feel the need to complain, how about copying in the organisers of the bike safe campaign as they are council funded and may feel the need to say something as they are promoting safe riding after all :-/

Mark_Able
04-07-12, 09:33 PM
Sorry mate, but nothing unusual. I come home every night via McD's in Trow, and from that roundabout through to the Virgin roundabout, through to Platinum roundabout, I can have the rear fishtailing for as long as I want with absolutely no effort in the wet. Gentle roll on in third is enough to have it breaking lose. It's ok if you know it's going to happen, but pant-filling if you're unprepared... :o

Rabb
04-07-12, 10:08 PM
maybe they will do something about it?

Hahahahahaha oh people on here do make me laugh sometimes

I know from my own experience that if it is reported and photographed - the council have to do something about it. In the case of pothole damage - believe it or not if you report it and it isn't fixed in a reasonable amount of time (48hrs - I think) and your vehicle is subsequently damaged by previously reported pot-hole - then you can claim against the highways agency.

BB
05-07-12, 07:28 AM
Probably the most they will do it stick up some slippery road surface signs if there are not some there already.
Complain and keep complaining about areas like this. It will keep it in their minds for when they are planning future maintenance.

BB