PDA

View Full Version : electrical issues on kawasaki er500 x regestration

motor_fiddler
08-07-12, 12:48 AM
hello i am new here. would anyone have any idea what might be the fault on my er5. with my ignition turned off my battery lead when connected sparks. i have a new battery, i dont have anything on the bike that draws power with the ignition off, i have checked for damaged wires there were none, including live wires touching chassis or touching earths none, i have disconected all auxilleries including fuses lights etc still sparks, when i dissconect the rectefier regulator spark is gone or if i dissconect the 3 yellow wire connector on the left side (alternator side) spark once again is gone. i would like to say thanks very much in advance for your ideas and help.

470four
08-07-12, 08:40 AM
Im going to hazard a guess having owning several Honda's & a Ducati that your regulator/rectifier is blown, causing a short/melted wires, causing the sparks already mentioned.

Check the connectors for any melted bits/fusing/hotspots & do NOT reattach the battery until you are sure the loom & connectors are good. ;)

The yellow three-wire connector sounds suspect? Open it up and have a look? Do you ride with your headlights on? This can take the load off your reg-rectifier & stop it overheating etc.

Jon_W
10-07-12, 08:03 AM
As above test your recifier.

http://www.hackedgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/3-phase-bridge-rectifier.png

Here is the schematic for it.