PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty - how often do you clean your bike?

cerruti
30-06-12, 09:33 PM
The other half took my kwaka in for a service yesterday and I went down to pick it up this morning....

The Kwaka dealer people told me how their mechanic chappie had felt so sorry for my bike and taken pity on it because it was in an absolute state so he had washed and polished it for me :'(

I was so embarrassed :-[

He then proceeded to tell me that they had never seen a 2 week old bike in such a state and that it was filthy :-[

And that I really should take better care of it :-[

I have to be honest, the weather has been so crap since I got it, and Ive been riding it to work every day - yes it was filthy :-[ But it's also just a bike? ::) (Ok so I wouldn't get the Harley out in this weather but thats a whole different ball game ;D).

So my question is, for all weather bikers/commuters - how often do you clean your bike?

jpssantos
30-06-12, 09:39 PM
My commuter CB500, had her for 2 years, I washed her... let me think..ermm... ho yes! once, just before I sold her lol

Nelly
30-06-12, 09:40 PM
...as often as possible. But like you i ride to work and it's uber disheartening to wash and polish the bike only to get it covered in s**t the next day. So yes, like you, i am guilty.
:(

Snowy
30-06-12, 09:52 PM
In the winter I don't clean mine at all because I cover them in ACF50 in October and leave them until the following April. For the rest of the year I clean them when they're dirty. I have heard tales of warranty claims being rejected due to bike's not being cleaned properly (in the eyes of the dealers) but have had no issues myself.

Dabz
30-06-12, 10:02 PM
As little as I can get away with :p

Mines usually covered in acf50 so it cleans up pretty quickly and this year I've avoided wet riding as much as poss too which helps

redken1
30-06-12, 10:16 PM
I keep mine gleaming all the time. mainly because I really enjoy polishing it. :D :( Must be honest, I'm not like that with anything else. The van gets a quick wash once a month.

Dan505
30-06-12, 10:16 PM
Twice in the last 9 months but i commute everyday and prefer to ride it! Still looks good tho! :)

Rabb
30-06-12, 10:41 PM
Weekly without fail - 400 mile a week commute + private miles too!
If I didn't clean it - it would be caked in half a tonne of road crap.
Anyway - I love my gixxer and it should always look at it's best (it will last longer too)

goz1960
30-06-12, 10:59 PM
As above at least once a week.

Swanny
30-06-12, 11:13 PM
Shame on you

I clean mine every time it gets dirty
You won't see me on a dirty bike unless it got dirty on the way to where I'm going :P

Swanny
30-06-12, 11:16 PM
As little as I can get away with :p

Mines usually covered in acf50 so it cleans up pretty quickly and this year I've avoided wet riding as much as poss too which helps
Not been out much this year then :)

cerruti
30-06-12, 11:19 PM
On a cruiser type with lots of chrome I completely agree. My Harley is polished to within an inch of its life every time the dust cover is removed - and I don't get it out of the garage if there's a cloud in the sky or the roads are wet...

But the Kwaka is mostly plastic and it's ridden every day regardless of the weather :o

I do feel guilty that it doesnt get any love though. Maybe I could put a bit of effort in :-[

470four
01-07-12, 08:26 AM
The other half took my kwaka in for a service yesterday and I went down to pick it up this morning....

The Kwaka dealer people told me how their mechanic chappie had felt so sorry for my bike and taken pity on it because it was in an absolute state so he had washed and polished it for me :'(

I was so embarrassed :-[

He then proceeded to tell me that they had never seen a 2 week old bike in such a state and that it was filthy :-[

And that I really should take better care of it :-[

I have to be honest, the weather has been so crap since I got it, and Ive been riding it to work every day - yes it was filthy :-[ But it's also just a bike? ::) (Ok so I wouldn't get the Harley out in this weather but thats a whole different ball game ;D).

So my question is, for all weather bikers/commuters - how often do you clean your bike?

I wouldnt blame you for not cleaning it seeing as we are in Autumn with pissin persistant rain every day... can be gutting to clean a bike only to get it filthy the next day? I would be inclined to give it a good scrub - then cover it in a good anti-corrosion agent... this will ensure no rot under all the roadgak until we finnaly get some good weather? Regular washing in my book leads to problems with damp electrics etc...

Senna(Dan)
01-07-12, 08:42 AM
Cerruti I try and clean mine every week. Although like you on the commute, the XJ6 gets filthy. I cleaned her on friday and know the weather forecast says rain and lots of it. If it is hanging I give it a blast with cold water just to rinse all the crap off.
The Senna gets cleaned after every run, just because it deserves that extra bit of love. More likely the fact that replacement parts are so expensive.

Mitch9128
01-07-12, 09:31 AM
It's a Honda, so i won't be greeted by a pile of rust if i leave it to when i can be arsed. I sprayed the tank cap lock with graphite lock grease t'other day and it went all over the yellow tank, it looks filthy at the moment.

Ducatista
01-07-12, 09:47 AM
Riding it is definitely higher up my list of priorities.
Cleaning I'm afraid mostly have to fit in my life rather than the other way around.

Dan505
01-07-12, 10:31 AM
Just don't take it thru the sainsbury's car wash....they don't like that, they don't like that at all....

Geordie Stu
01-07-12, 11:16 AM
As & when she needs washing & general maintenance. ;)

Loops
01-07-12, 03:53 PM
Ooooo, ummmmm, I think I washed mine last year ;D

Nooj noojed it for me when I bought it, probably get him to do it again before we head into winter this year.

Nelly
01-07-12, 04:43 PM
Went out on mine in the rain today. Washed it when i got back. Heavy rain forecast for tomorrow.... DOH!
>:(

Jacde
01-07-12, 06:15 PM
errrrr :-[ I haven't washed mine.

I had it Nooj'd tho [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and will get it done again around october

Nikki
01-07-12, 06:21 PM
I really wouldnt feel guilty it's your bike you can choose how often you clean it ;) :)

You can't win either way.

I personally love cleaning my bike and and HATE seeing it dirty, but I've lost count of the number of people who look at it and tell me they'd rather ride it than clean it ::) ::) I DO ride it, its just that I choose to clean it rather than doing something else.

Some people enjoy cleaning (and riding) there bikes some dont, we're all different :)

I'm lucky (or unlucky) though in that I dont commute to work if I did I'd probably feel differently.

Splash
01-07-12, 07:19 PM
Once a week at least, some times twice because I just have a thing about a clean bike, sprockets and wheels...

Even if I know it's going to rain the next day... the sponge comes out... 8-)

Wes
01-07-12, 07:25 PM
TBH i enjoy a little quiet time cleaning the bike, im usually rushing around all day between sites and home, clean and regrease the chain after every ride too :)

Nikki
01-07-12, 07:51 PM
TBH i enjoy a little quiet time cleaning the bike.....

Me too....it's therapeutic, well that's my excuse. ;) :) :)

Senna(Dan)
01-07-12, 07:56 PM
I think it is getting out of the housework that means I clean it more often. 3 bikes in the garage can take a while to do!

voodoo
01-07-12, 08:50 PM
But it's also just a bike? ::)
:-? that's why it needs special care and attention ;D

Swanny
01-07-12, 09:14 PM
TBH i enjoy a little quiet time cleaning the bike.....

Me too....it's therapeutic, well that's my excuse. ;) :) :)

I love it too
It's like giving your bike a cuddle :)

t3scn
01-07-12, 09:19 PM
Very revealing article in Bike mag about keeping bikes clean, fortunately I don't use mine for a daily commute but even so I'm still Mr OCD when it comes to keeping it spic and span ;D

Jon_W
02-07-12, 08:09 AM
The Sv and Cub are kept clean. The GS gets a wash when I can be arsed or needs a service.....

Kevinb
02-07-12, 01:21 PM
MT-01 is caked in crud. It will get cleaned but after all it's only a bike and I prefer riding than cleaning.

470four
02-07-12, 04:20 PM
To be honest I would rather see a bike being ridden with a little grime & patina than some over-polished showpiece that will never see tarmac again...

Its a motorcycle - not an ornament! Keep it maintained, use it regularly & you will save a fortune on fixing siezed brakes, blown fork seals etc. A little road filth never hurt anything? An overwashed bike will be stripped bare of any good grime on the engine, for example & will quickly oxidise in the next shower?

My 400/4 has a small cylinder head oil-leak under "spirited" riding, I am in no hurry to fix it.

"You have an oil-leak!"

"Rubbish. Its hot, its sweating!" :)

"Its not! Its leaking!"

"Its an anti-corrosion measure by Honda" :D

Mark_Able
02-07-12, 08:56 PM
Mine gets cleaned regularly...

...once a year whether it needs it or not. :)

t3scn
02-07-12, 09:01 PM
To be honest I would rather see a bike being ridden with a little grime & patina than some over-polished showpiece that will never see tarmac again...

I agree, although I do have a soft spot for a good polish ::)

8_ball
02-07-12, 09:13 PM
now this is my kind of thread, since I got my bike last year its had a total of no washes ??? ive covered around 6ooo miles in that time.
its a bike to ride, the only time it gets a wash is at high speed in the rain 8-)
if something starts to leak im going to see it straight away, I do my own maintaince.
Dirt to me shows the bike is used not abused.
and when I get asked what it was............................ my reply is 'clean' ;D

NoYou
02-07-12, 09:35 PM
Feel better for this thread, always felt a bit guilty about not cleaning my bike too often. Nice to know i'm not alone in preferring to ride it that clean it :]

Goldie
03-07-12, 01:44 PM
are we meant to wash them then? :-?

Dan505
03-07-12, 03:16 PM
are we meant to wash them then? :-?

yes, 40' on a spin cycle then hang dry....

DC
03-07-12, 07:05 PM
Would love to give the bike some TLC but havent seen her for 5 weeks !!! :(

wi77y
03-07-12, 08:47 PM
Ride to work all week and mabey clean at weekend if I'm not riding it so..... Once month gets good clean and polish.

But every ride out I've been on so far with wilts bikers dont think I've seen dirty bike yet ! Hehe

redken1
03-07-12, 08:50 PM
We are a clean bunch of bikers. (Not always on the muppet section though)

:D ;D

Swanny
04-07-12, 06:49 PM
Just gave mine a quick wash while I'm waiting for my mate before heading over to Castle Coombe 8-)
Bet it's filthy again later :D

cerruti
04-07-12, 06:52 PM
When I got mine back from the dealer at the weekend I gave it another wash and polish out of guilt... then it sat in the garage for 2 days as the weather was so crap but this morning I rode it to work (in the sodding rain) and home again this evening. Needless to say, it's plastered in crap again and will stay like that at least until the weekend... which weekend I don't know though :o

Jon_W
05-07-12, 01:16 PM
"You have an oil-leak!"

"Its not! Its leaking!"

As invented (and perfected) by the british I'll have you know!!!!

The cub has a built in scottoiler as well..... called the chaincase breather!!!!

redken1
05-07-12, 05:08 PM
"You have an oil-leak!"

"Its not! Its leaking!"

As invented (and perfected) by the british I'll have you know!!!!

The cub has a built in scottoiler as well..... called the chaincase breather!!!!

;D ;D ;D

thepetrolhead91
05-07-12, 06:25 PM
With all this god awful weather my CBR1000F had been sat in the garage dirty for about a month and gave it a damn good clean Sunday just gone. I usually do the bike and car every weekend without fail but some days its just not possible. Love having my battle cruiser of a bike all shiny and clean. Although, when the various tooth brushes come out, then I do stop and think, am I being too maticulous :P

Morticia
06-07-12, 08:50 PM
Me? NEVER!!!! Serious, my boyfriend feels sorry for them and cleans them, I will argue till death that dirt does not affect performance :D

Dan505
07-07-12, 04:33 PM
dirt = weight which = drag which = slowness...listen to the Guru Mort, he knows his apples (bikes! ;D )

Jon_W
10-07-12, 08:05 AM
Me? NEVER!!!! Serious, my boyfriend feels sorry for them and cleans them, I will argue till death that dirt does not affect performance :D

That's what Em tells me about the scooter..... :o

After I've cleaned it. ;D

Geordie Stu
10-07-12, 10:47 AM
Comeptition for Nooj. Good choice of Bike ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBtOhJ2hcc

Nooj
10-07-12, 10:49 AM
Dirt getting into moving parts will grind them away, especially chains, sprockets, lever pivots, swingarm/suspension linkage bearings. It will also retain moisture and promote corrosion.

At best a dirty bike will loose you money in excess repairs and depreciation, at worst you are putting your life at risk. And yes, I have seen bike that have serious faults or even bits missing that have been hidden by a bit of 'harmless' dirt (in actual fact, usually a massive wad of oily gunge).

No need to go over board and strip it down daily, just a going over it with some mild car shampoo and some decent wax once a month for an average mileage rider will be better than nothing. I definitely recommend using ACF-50 if you ride all year though.

Nikki
10-07-12, 11:16 AM
Comeptition for Nooj. Good choice of Bike ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBtOhJ2hcc

Muc-Off clearly have some super invisible lady hand and nail protection as her hands and nails remain pristine without her wearing any gloves, and as for those heals...umm right standard wear whenever a lady cleans her bike ::) ;D ;D

Why cant we have a nice young hunky man cleaning his bike ;)

Nooj
10-07-12, 07:14 PM
Comeptition for Nooj..... Why cant we have a nice young hunky man cleaning his bike

Don't think I quite fill those criteria ;D