PDA

View Full Version : Off/on road bike for sale see for sale adverts

Bondy
01-07-12, 08:21 PM
Selling my off road bike see for sale adverts if you want it? x :( Sold to Dennis

Ade
02-07-12, 12:29 AM
why why why ???? !!!!!

Bondy
02-07-12, 07:52 PM
Because of lots of reasons .one being I need to move and housing one bike is bad enough lol :(

Ryan
02-07-12, 08:39 PM
:(

Dennis_Sinanan
02-07-12, 10:23 PM
Hi Bondy,

I did the Yamaha Off road Experience in Wales on Friday and had a fantastic time. Muscles still recovering from the day. ;D

I would like to try some trails nearer to home so would be definately be interested.

Can you PM me your contact details so that I can contact you.

Dennis

@bj
03-07-12, 01:58 PM
Coming over to the dark side eh Dennis..?

Giv's a shout when you're ready and I'll meet you on Salisbury Plain...

There's a pub in West Lavington that does great burgers & Sunday Roast...

Dennis_Sinanan
04-07-12, 09:48 PM
If all goes well Bondy will have me "technically" converted to the other side very shortly ;D

Now for the rest of the shopping:
Does anyone have any of the following available for sale (before I go to ebay and the shops).
Upper Body Amour (XXL)
Knee & Shin Guards (for big legs)
Boots (UK Size 12 )
Motocross Shirt (XXL)
Motocross Trousers (38" waist, don't know who I am kidding make that 40" - gotta leave room for the burgers and Sunday roast ;D)
Gloves (XXL)
Goggles
Helmet (I am going down to the shops to find a lid that fits my funny shaped and large head ;D)

Once that is done, I am going to harass all of you with your off road bikes to take me out for a ride ;D

How does that sound?

Dennis

@bj
09-07-12, 03:11 PM
Some things I found on my journey...

Trail Boots are better than massive enduro type boots - they're lighter and you can change gear...

(Size 12......? You're no so tall - do you have any hobbit ancestry..?)

Motocross shirt/trousers - you don't really need them... dress to the weather as you would a road bike... Not sure I've seen any green laners wearing this stuff...

I've often abandoned body armour when the weather is hot - and seen other guys I've been riding with have complete meltdowns from having too much gear on a hot day. Remember - its not obligatory to ride at speeds outside of your comfort zone. Also - if you do - you may fail to observe the spectacular scenery going on around you.

Special gloves..? Been happy with road gloves so far - though my road gloves do have a bit of armour...

Off road helmet - if you were only to buy one piece of kit - this would be it - don't know if that place that used to be George Whites are still doing it - but they had G-Max helmets reduced from £100 to £15... I also got my trail boots there - Alpinestars Scout - £180 - if I remember correctly - very happy with them...

Goggles - Oakleys of course... though often I'm just wearing sunglasses - remember - you're green laning - not racing - it's not obligatory to ride so close to the guy in front that whatever comes off his back wheel ends up in your face...

Suggest a minimum of kit to start with - do some gentle scenic riding - then you'll get a feel of which direction you want to take it - unless you enjoy acquiring loads of stuff you may not use...

Oakley

Dennis_Sinanan
09-07-12, 09:09 PM
Thank you VERY VERY much!
It is advice like yours I was hoping for.

So far, I have already managed to pick up a helmet and water proof gloves (given the recent weather).

Waiting till Thursday for a new shipment of goggles to come in to my local MX shop. The new batch of goggles is supposed to allow me to wear my glasses. underneath. Hopefully without steaming up.

It was very challenging changing gears with the MX boots. I just thought it was me or that it would get easier with time. So to hear that I can get away with the Trail boots is a big relief.

I will head down to George White and have a look at what is on offer in the boots department.

As for foot size, I have big feet, big hands, a big head and you know what else is big :o Yep ...... my belly ;D ;D ;D
Having said that a big tool needs to be covered by a big shed!! ;D ;D ;D

So from what you have said, I am almost good to go. As soon as I get some boots I will be able to come out to play.

I will take your advice and might still get some body armour (a bit later on) as I don't seem to bounce very well and I may tend to get distracted by the scenery and run into a tree or something harder. ;D ;D

As for acquiring stuff, you are talking to a master mag pie here. Once it is shiny I like to collect, so I will try to take it easy and collect slowly as I go along.

Now I am off to go prune my watchlist on ebay ;D

Thanks again for the great advice

Dennis

Bondy
09-07-12, 09:51 PM
Hey Dennis heard you are having fun..glad to hear it ;D

Scotty
10-07-12, 11:38 AM
Hey Dennis, another viewpoint on a few bits;
Body armour - get some and always wear it (ask Rinksy!) you don't need to be going quickly to hurt yourself if you land on a stone or hard ground (not that we have much of that nowadays...) Get something with chest, back, shoulder, elbow and forearm protection
MX Shirt - nice and cool in summer. If it looks like rain (when doesn't it?) a thin waterproof jacket can be stashed in a rucksack (I have an Army surplus one, goretex and whatever, good and light, big enough to go over the armour)
Jacket - you can spend a fortune on pukka off-road gear or go to TSFKAGW (The Shop Formerly Known As...) and get something like a cheapy Oxford bone dry jacket (again, oversized, but that might be a little harder for you to find) and remove all the integral armour panels (they aren't up a to a whole lot tbh) so it'll go over your armour and use that in wetter or colder weather (mine's got a zip-out quilted lining, haven't needed to use that but it could be useful in Winter)
Goggles - you're getting them anyway, wear them all the time. When green-laning you'll spend a lot of time riding past undergrowth, bushes, brambles, trees etc and a twig or thorn in the eye would be serious. Sunnies are not so good to wear as a lot of the time you'll be riding in the shade of trees and going from bright sunlight to dark shade and you need to be able to see stuff quickly when doing that. Depth perception is a little reduced too when wearing sunnies.
Gloves - road stuff is ok but can get very hot. More off-road oriented gloves are more comfortable and getting wet hands is no big deal at this time of year. When riding in Winter it's worth taking a spare pair along in case you get soaked.
Waterproof socks - Sealskinz are ace, they don't feel particularly hot in Summer and are great for keeping feet dry when your boots are soaked. The only drawback is when putting a foot down in water that's actually deeper than the socks are high... ::) it happens, not such big deal in Summer, can get cold in Winter.
Boots - as said, MX boots are a bit too stiff and unyielding, Trials boots are better, more flex and feel.
Knee armour - definitely worth getting, as are armoured shorts - I have a Knox pair and they give great protection to hips and thighs.
Trousers - MX strides are fine for most of the year, light and comfy, not at all waterproof but they dry out quickly. Worth investing in a waterproof set for Winter, Sinisalo do some very good ones, as do many other manufacturers.
Another useful thing to get is a Camelbak or similar - you can carry waterproof jacket and/or spare gloves, a few snacks to keep the energy up, and a litre or two of water to keep hydrated - I'm forever taking swigs from mine when I'm out. Camelbaks are expensive, but bargains can be found by the careful hunter, either on-line or in sales, and sporting goods or outdoor stores are probably cheaper than bike shops - keep an eye on Lidl or Aldi, it's the sort of thing they may have occasionally.

See you out in the mud sometime then! 8-)

Dennis_Sinanan
11-07-12, 06:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I really appreciate the info and the viewpoints.
I take Oakley's point on board that there is no need to go overboard on getting ALL the latest hyped up over priced gear just for a little play in the mud. I also appreciate Scotty's point that it pays to invest in sufficient protective kit to ensure that a little spill does not result in an injury that spoils my fun or takes me out of the game for a long time.

Both great pieces of advice (Keep them coming).

I have managed to visit TSFKAGW (i.e. MegaShop) and walked away with the Alpinestars Scout (Size 13 - my sasquatch heritage) and the over sized (stopped counting after 2 Xs) cheap jacket.

Now hunting for the armour (body and knee) and waiting for the goggles and that should be me.

I am also keeping an eye on the Sealskinz as they sound great and I don't do well in the cold and wet. As you can tell by all the layers I normally wear (even in the weather you call hot ;D)

On my experience I Wales, I was kitted up to the max and this allowed me to be more (not over) confident that should I fall, it would not hurt that much. This allowed me to concentrate on my riding and not be distracted by "what if" and as a result I did not have any incidents apart from riding blind down a narrow steep wet rock trail :o as a result of my mask and glasses fogging up to the point that I was literally blind and there was no stopping because of the bikes coming down behind me. Not something I want to repeat in a hurry :o

I can't believe how much fun I am having and I have not even started the bike as yet ;D ;D I think my wife is right, I am a shopaholic ;D

Definitely looking forward to playing in the mud in the near future with you guys ;D Just hope I can manage to stay upright long enough to keep up with you guys;D

@bj
11-07-12, 10:32 PM
Good stuff...

The next thing is maps...

You need to study OS maps for your area to find your local byways - you will want to explore what is on your doorstep first... you will be surprised - I was... apparently Wiltshire has more miles of byway than any other county in england - literature indicates 600km of this is in and around Salisbury Plain...

If you want to do this online (free) - Bing maps have an OS map option... other wise suggest buy OS maps for your area... insert them into those clear A4 wallets - and sellotape to your petrol tank... I've spent some great days this way exploring my local area and finding amazing scenery right on my doorstep - I feel ashamed I didn't know about before - as I've been living here for 7 years now...

I've just gone 21st century - and bought an android phone (S3) it comes with basic Google maps gps - which works well - but I am aware there are several OS map apps - haven't had time to research which may be the best - so if anyone has a recommendation - please feel free to offer up your experience...

8-)akley

SimmyDerbi
11-07-12, 10:41 PM
@oakley, Best place, Buy OS Maps of the Area's your planning to ride. Grab a high lighter. Go onto http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/communityandliving/rightsofway/publicrightsofwaymapping.htm

Then unclick Footpaths, and Click the option Byways, Grab your highlighter and you off.. The website is updated monthly. so always keep an eye on it :)