PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE! Bike photos with Smart Phones

Scotty
05-07-12, 12:30 PM
There's a useful thread over on Trackday Riders (http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/tdr/forum/advice-against-taking-pics-of-your-bike-on-smartph_topic28607.html) on the subject of photographing your bike at home using a smart phone, and then posting the image on-line.

Unless the Location facility on the phone is turned off, it uses GPS data to embed the precise location of the photograph in the file so villanous types can simply grab the on-line image and use googlemaps to find out exactly where this nice shiny bike lives, and maybe they'll pay you a visit in the middle of the night with a van and relieve you of your pride and joy... :'(

Best thing to do is turn off Location services, or go through the steps listed in the TDR thread prior to posting, or just use a regular camera to take the photo in the first place.

Snowy
05-07-12, 12:35 PM
There's a useful thread over on Trackday Riders (http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/tdr/forum/advice-against-taking-pics-of-your-bike-on-smartph_topic28607.html) on the subject of photographing your bike at home using a smart phone, and then posting the image on-line.

Unless the Location facility on the phone is turned off, it uses GPS data to embed the precise location of the photograph in the file so villanous types can simply grab the on-line image and use googlemaps to find out exactly where this nice shiny bike lives, and maybe they'll pay you a visit in the middle of the night with a van and relieve you of your pride and joy... :'(

Best thing to do is turn off Location services, or go through the steps listed in the TDR thread prior to posting, or just use a regular camera to take the photo in the first place.

Phone's have camera's? When did that happen then? ;D ;D

Nelly
05-07-12, 12:35 PM
Good heads up Scotty. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Jon_W
05-07-12, 01:03 PM
T'is true, I checked. Am trying to see if the loation is kept when it is posted on photobucket.

Cheers for the heads up Scotty.

DC
05-07-12, 01:34 PM
Well spotted that man !!! 8-)

Swanny
05-07-12, 01:37 PM
No thanks to smart phones :)

Geordie Stu
05-07-12, 02:33 PM
Consider it done [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Dan505
05-07-12, 03:10 PM
another similiar one is people who check in on FB to places i.e their home and their cover photo is off the bike, google image search for most bikes will bring back a couple of FB hits, good warning tho Scotty [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Swanny
05-07-12, 05:13 PM
iPhone

the must have tracking device

Swanny
05-07-12, 05:15 PM
another similiar one is people who check in on FB to places i.e their home and their cover photo is off the bike, google image search for most bikes will bring back a couple of FB hits, good warning tho Scotty [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
And on FB they tell everyone when they are going on holiday ;D

Beamer
05-07-12, 08:13 PM

Just as well my bike 'lives' a nice long way away from my house...I know what a sought after machine it is hehehehe ;D ;D ;D

redken1
05-07-12, 08:19 PM
Crickey! - these smart phones are just too smart for their own (or their owners) good. :o

Jon_W
06-07-12, 07:47 AM
Crickey! - these smart phones are just too smart for their own (or their owners) good. :o

+1. Mine is too smart fro me!!!! :D

spudgun
06-07-12, 07:55 AM
You can turn the Geotagging info off the camera app in your phones settings option ;)

Kevinb
06-07-12, 08:42 AM
If someone wants to take my bike out of my garage, they've got no change as they would have to move the suitcase full of tenners, the fine art and the pile of diamonds just to get to it ;D

cerruti
06-07-12, 07:34 PM
If someone wants to take my bike out of my garage, they've got no change as they would have to move the suitcase full of tenners, the fine art and the pile of diamonds just to get to it ;D

Hahahaha! ;D

Maz
09-07-12, 09:08 PM
Thats a usefull thread! Amazing what tech can do now days!

I feel its becoming more of a pain than sonething thats good! :o

@bj
09-07-12, 10:46 PM
I feel its becoming more of a pain than sonething thats good! :o
I think you're right - in recent years there appears to be a movement by large corporations - banks & mobile phone companies spring to mind - to take financial advantage of the general populations lack of interest in small print - and understanding of what can be done with small snippets of personal information...

How often does you bill come to more than you expected - only to be pointed to some small print if you query it..? That's no accident - they have teams of people whos only function in the company - is how to chisel an extra 50 quid out of each of its customers every year by falling foul of small print...

Swanny
09-07-12, 11:00 PM
Apparently the old boss of Nokia didn't let anyone in his family have a mobile phone, himself included.
I leave mine at home more and more often now, if I didn't need it for work I would bin it. I wish they had never been invented :)

SimmyDerbi
10-07-12, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Squashed_Fly
10-07-12, 09:42 AM

You only have tenners in your suitcases? Times must be hard!

Nooj
10-07-12, 07:19 PM

When I go on holiday the bike goes with me, problem solved! Also, given how inaccurate GPS and Google Maps can be, I wouldn't be too worried about crims getting the right road, yet alone the right house :P

Seriously though, a good precaution!

RichTT
11-07-12, 08:29 PM
When I posted a picture of Swanage on my FB wall, it said that I was near High Wycombe - I think my bike is safe!!! :D

Ryan
12-07-12, 04:22 PM
Very good point.