PDA

View Full Version : jon W !!!!!!!!! a quick question

cornishbob
13-07-12, 09:55 AM
hi mate
if you remember you came over and performed some dark arts on my vf750

well i connected the wires up...that was easy.

when the bike runs those wires i used to elongate the alternator wires to reach the rectifier . they get very very hot.
i mean HOT!!!!!!
would that be indicative of me using wires that were too small or of a problem with either the alternator or reccy?

the bike runs fine and as far as i can see the battery is charging(cant say for sure)

cast me a spell from afar

cheers oh wizard

Dan505
13-07-12, 10:06 AM
know i'm not Jon but hot wires normally means they're not rated high enough to deal with the current going thru them

Snowy
13-07-12, 10:16 AM
hi mate
if you remember you came over and performed some dark arts on my vf750

well i connected the wires up...that was easy.

when the bike runs those wires i used to elongate the alternator wires to reach the rectifier . they get very very hot.
i mean HOT!!!!!!
would that be indicative of me using wires that were too small or of a problem with either the alternator or reccy?

the bike runs fine and as far as i can see the battery is charging(cant say for sure)

cast me a spell from afar

cheers oh wizard

What guage of wire did you use? What method did you use to join the elongated wire? What is the alternator output? As said above, sounds like wires are underspec'd for what you're trying to do. You should also check all of the connections to make sure they are clean and tight. If they're as hot as you say then a meltdown or fire is the likely end result.

cornishbob
13-07-12, 10:41 AM
yeah, i suspect wires.

i just used some from what i junked off the bike...they were yellow so colour coordinated.

blade type connectors....oooh! how professional.

Jon_W
13-07-12, 11:29 AM
Glad you got it running in the end.

How hot is the regulator/ recifier??? Just check that isn't toasting as well. If so it could be that. If not, I'd guess you've used too small a wire. I'd guess you need 16 or 14 swg wire for the alternator.

cornishbob
13-07-12, 11:38 AM
reccy doesnt get hot.wires from alty dont get hot.

got to be wires in between....yes?

where can that be got from? fleabay i suppose

cheers

all i did was charge battery and put some fuel in and she was away.runs a bit rough at tickover but burbles sweet when its going

Crosbie
13-07-12, 12:08 PM
Paper clip! lol ::)

Yea your wires are undersized thus the overheating. Get sorted ASAP else the wire in the sheath will fail eventually potentially causing alot more damage. Do a bit of digging and see if you can find the correct size required before ordering.

Snowy
13-07-12, 12:40 PM
Here's a guide:

http://www.batterywholesaler.co.uk/battery_wire_gauge.htm

The lower the gauge number the greater the diameter of the wire = greater current capacity. Note there is a difference between SWG (Standard Wire Gauge) and AWG (American Wire Gauge). I don't know where your wires are but you need to know the maximum current draw of the circuit and use the right gauge wire. If your alternator output is 60amps at 12V then you would need 8 gauge.

cornishbob
13-07-12, 12:57 PM
now we are getting silly.... swg, awg, 8gauge, alternator output .

third party fire and theft - that'll do...i know nothing

seem to remember when we had the kitchen done there was some earth wire that got pulled out....sorted....result.

cheers guys.
if you see smoke in the distance it'll be me

Snowy
13-07-12, 01:03 PM
now we are getting silly.... swg, awg, 8gauge, alternator output .

third party fire and theft - that'll do...i know nothing

seem to remember when we had the kitchen done there was some earth wire that got pulled out....sorted....result.

cheers guys.
if you see smoke in the distance it'll be me

Are you sure you should really be doing this? Might be better to let someone else do it who knows what they're doing :D

cornishbob
13-07-12, 01:06 PM
trust me i have a screwdriver and its armed and dangerous.

might move the bike a bit further from the house though.

Snowy
13-07-12, 01:12 PM
trust me i have a screwdriver and its armed and dangerous.

might move the bike a bit further from the house though.

and remember not to use water on an electrical fire....make sure you have some CO2 to hand ;D

cornishbob
13-07-12, 01:19 PM
surely fizzy lemonade would provide enough co2 and cooling to boot.

300W@5000rpm by the way

Snowy
13-07-12, 01:25 PM
surely fizzy lemonade would provide enough co2 and cooling to boot.

300W@5000rpm by the way

Not exactly a huge output then = 25 amps. I would always go for a slightly higher capacity cable to be safe.

Save the lemonade and just pee on it - its only 12v so won't kill you. Turn the engine off first though.....

cornishbob
13-07-12, 01:43 PM
just been out to my alladins cave . nothing heavier.

might just double up on what im already using..just to see

might re route the alty wires and see if they'll reach

might just wait till it stops raining

might have to wait a long time

Jon_W
13-07-12, 03:10 PM
Might have some wire laying about..... how much do you need??

cornishbob
13-07-12, 06:26 PM
about a foot (that allows for me cutting it wrong the first time)

cheers mate