PDA

View Full Version : Triumph sprint 1050 or Honda vfr 800

goz1960
09-07-12, 03:33 PM
The good and not so good any help gratefully received.

Nikki
09-07-12, 03:46 PM
My votes for the VFR but depends what you want to use it for.

newnut
09-07-12, 03:49 PM
ok well this is something you may want to look into, the triumph daytona has a soft head, needs the shims checking a lot and after 20.000 generally need a new head, very very exspensive, it would be worth checking for that problem on a triumph forum for the sprint, that being said, it doesn't seem to be for all but is a gamble i definately would rather not take. the vfr?? honda = bullet proof engine, looked after can do up to 200,000 i've herd (read) about. Im totally bias tho as I ride a honda, the old man has a triumph but it's currently at mine waiting to be fixed while he rides his more reliable ummmm honda.

redken1
09-07-12, 05:31 PM
I know it’s not very patriotic, but I owned a VFR on a 97 plate, last of the non – VTEC and along with the CBRs (owned one too) one of the best all rounders ever built IMHO. To be fair though I can’t really comment on the Triumph having not ridden it.

As already said, a bullet proof engine and excellent finish. I sold it 10 years later and it was as good as the day it left the factory. There was a lot of criticism of the VTEC at the time of the change and I have been told that servicing costs can be expensive. However, didn’t stop them selling in bucket loads. Test ride both bikes – although the British bike has a larger capacity engine there is not a lot of difference in BHP output.

Mitch9128
09-07-12, 07:43 PM
Why either? The VFR has similar ride and comfort to the 9r, so why change? Not keen on trumpets either way.

Jon_W
10-07-12, 07:58 AM
Honda all the way.

Nooj
10-07-12, 11:11 AM
The VFR weighs a tonne and although very capable, IMO is a very bland bike (especially on the standard exhaust).

The Sprint has **** headlights for night riding and is one of the hardest bikes to get onto it's centre stand but is very well put together and comfortable.

If you want that kind of bike, I'd suggest looking at a low mileage Aprilia Futura as it has the best of both the VFR and Sprint plus a whole lot of engine character the other two don't have... if you can live with the looks.

Mark_Able
10-07-12, 08:54 PM
Save a lot of money and buy yerself a 1st gen Fazer 1000. Comfy, goes like stink, and totally reliable. :)

newnut
10-07-12, 09:35 PM
hang on, I thought we were talking about the two bikes goz asked about??? [smiley=undecided.gif]
If your looking for suggestions I'd have to agree with able, for comfort and speed combined the fazer is tops for me.

Dan505
10-07-12, 09:51 PM
Why either? The VFR has similar ride and comfort to the 9r, so why change? Not keen on trumpets either way.

the 9r's gone, wife reversed over it and Goz is currently on a Bandit

Goz, i'd go for the Honda, prefer the look is the reason :)

YMFB
10-07-12, 10:54 PM
Surely the Triumph !

470four
11-07-12, 03:59 PM
Had an '02 plate VFR VTEC for a year or two:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/Big%20Blue%20Bus/DSC04192.jpg

Great pillion bike with the topbox backrest! Weighed a LOT(250kg...), handled ok - big step when the VTEC came in, almost like a 2stroke powerband?

Bland though... didnt need anything bar tyres & chainlube, usual TLC? Fitted Devil alloy cans to replace the overquiet standard cans:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/Big%20Blue%20Bus/DSC03453.jpg

The exhaust, valves & plugs are inaccessible.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/Big%20Blue%20Bus/BlWT1TBmkKGrHqMH-C0EtsFYlBHPBLbgHIRgg_12.jpg

In true Hinder Honda V4 style they are a pig to work on! Everything is crammed into the fairing like a car engine. The plugs are Iridium so thankfully only need changing every 30k. :)

Triumph Sprint? Blander... Greyer than John Major.

Not overly keen on either TBH, but did take interest in this in Fowlers last weekend...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/Big%20Blue%20Bus/DSC_6682.jpg

Duke Multistrada 1200, full plastic luggage, 2010 plate, £9999 ono. :)

Mark_Able
11-07-12, 08:48 PM
hang on, I thought we were talking about the two bikes goz asked about??? [smiley=undecided.gif]
If your looking for suggestions I'd have to agree with able, for comfort and speed combined the fazer is tops for me.

Yeah sorry, but I thought there was better out there for the money. Why limit yourself to a choice of two...? :-[

redken1
13-07-12, 08:57 PM
Save a lot of money and buy yerself a 1st gen Fazer 1000. Comfy, goes like stink, and totally reliable. :)

Before I acquired the new model Fazer thou I owned its predecessor the gen1 model and agree with Mark that it’s worth a look.

If I had to choose between the VFR and Fazer I would go with the latter.

Pros and cons: Power delivery on both bikes is smooth right through the rev range, but I would say the Fazer has more low down grunt, obviously a bigger capacity engine and producing significantly more power. The Yam can be a bit lardy and the suspension feels it when pushed hard in the tight twisties –fine though in the real world for 95% of the time.

Along with pillion comfort and handling I think the Honda has the edge and is ahead on build quality. Both are very comfortable for the rider. The Yam offers slightly better weather protection and has more of an upright riding position than the VFR.
I didn’t really notice a great difference in fuel economy to be honest, but I tend to ride quite hard (within the legal limits of course) so don’t pay much attention. A lot of bikers don’t like the linked brakes on the Honda – I never found them a problem and found stopping power on both models well up to the task.

Both are excellent bikes – I prefer the riding position of the Fazer and love the earlier R1 engine. Of course you will have to base your decision on your own requirements, but I hope this helps.

goz1960
13-07-12, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies, have now purchased my new toy but I will keep that for the next ride out. Had what I feel is a good buy but it is neither of the bikes mentioned, but suits my needs down to the ground.

Col
13-07-12, 11:46 PM
;D ;D ;D too much dude ;)

Dan505
14-07-12, 06:16 PM
Yamaha?

goz1960
14-07-12, 06:18 PM
Triumph Tiger 955i 06 plate

Dan505
14-07-12, 06:19 PM
nice.....swap the bandit in or keep it? either black or green if i had one.

Pics?

goz1960
14-07-12, 06:24 PM
Yes bandit has gone Triumph is really nice to ride and its in blue

Dan505
14-07-12, 06:36 PM
you like your blue dont ya.... ;D

goz1960
14-07-12, 06:44 PM
Blue its the only colour for a man ;) ;)