PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the bike test coming in 2013

cerruti
24-07-12, 10:50 PM
Ive recently passed my A2 bike test and I see that come January 2013 the A2 licence is being scrapped and that from age 24 or over you can ride any size bike.

Does this mean that next January I can de-restrict my bikes? Will my licence change? Will I need to wait the full 2 years? Will I need to take the test again?

Anyone know anything about the proposed changes?

Dan505
24-07-12, 10:57 PM
? interesting, i'm A2 too, doubt we'll be allowed to 'upgrade' as we passed back when the law was in force....defo watching this with interest as means i won't have to wait till next aug!

Dan505
24-07-12, 11:19 PM
just had a read not good (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/driverlicensing/dg_201188) will have to take another test once my two years is up otherwise i am limited to 33bhp.

"If you already have motorcycle entitlement, it won't change under the new rules. However, if you want to ride bigger bikes, you'll need to follow the rules for new riders below."

"Category A
Category A covers machines unlimited in size and power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with a power output of more than 15 kW. There are two ways to get this entitlement.

Direct access
If you don't have two years' experience, you'll have to be aged 24 years or over. You'll also need to pass the theory and practical tests.

Staged access
You can get this category from age 21 if you have two years' experience on an A2 motorcycle and you take a further practical test"

>:( piss taking money grabbing bastards >:( i've already decided which route i was taking which was 2 yrs on A2 to gain experience before a proper bike, not this bull**** where i have to pay £200 again for another test >:(

voodoo
24-07-12, 11:21 PM
I'm afraid that we're playing the waiting game until the 2 year restriction runs out boys & girls (unless you fancy taking another test of course). The Direct website quotes the following for rules from 19th Jan;

"Direct access

If you don't have two years' experience, you'll have to be aged 24 years or over. You'll also need to pass the theory and practical tests.

Staged access

You can get this category from age 21 if you have two years' experience on an A2 motorcycle and you take a further practical test."

The 2 year restriction stays the same for us and we don't have to take any more tests :)

voodoo
24-07-12, 11:22 PM
I got told by my examiner there's no change for us Dan, 2 years and we're away with no more tests

Dan505
24-07-12, 11:26 PM
"If you already have motorcycle entitlement, it won't change under the new rules. However, if you want to ride bigger bikes, you'll need to follow the rules for new riders below."

beg to differ Voodoo [smiley=smiley_up.gif] taken from the gov website, if i want to remove my 33bhp restriction then another test is needed

voodoo
24-07-12, 11:29 PM
hmm worth a question to mark able as I was told by the examiner that it only applies if you take your a2 under the new rules :-/

hang on, i'll post one up for him...

voodoo
24-07-12, 11:32 PM
what's reckon to this Dan? came from the direct website as well

"There will be new rules about the moped or motorcycle you use for your test from 19 January 2013. If you are taking your test from that date, you'll need to follow the new rules."

Dan505
24-07-12, 11:33 PM
the way i interpret it is that a new test will need to be taken at the end of my 2 yrs if i want a bigger bike otherwise i will stay restricted. as a side note, if you renew your licence when on A2 (after 2 yrs but no upgrade) i.e change of photo, you will need to redo test anyway? is this a way to stop people taking one test and then riding indefinatly with no further checks on their riding?

voodoo
24-07-12, 11:35 PM
erm not sure, says this,

"The new rules will affect you if you pass your test after this date, or you apply to renew or replace your driving licence."

which could be interpreted as you having the new entitlement category on your new licence

voodoo
24-07-12, 11:38 PM
this ones a bit more useful

"If you already have full motorcycle entitlement, it won't change under the new EU rules. Anyone who passed a practical category A motorcycle test before 19 January 2013 will still be restricted to a motorcycle of 25kW for two years from the date of test pass. "

although we took a2, it's a full licence but merely with a restriction for a a period of time. whats reckon?

Dan505
24-07-12, 11:40 PM
same as post No5 mate, if we want to ride bigger bikes we have to follow the new rider rules....it bites the big hairy one and don't they know it >:(

voodoo
24-07-12, 11:41 PM
I see your point mate but we hold category A already so shouldn't be an issue but hopefully mark will be able to clarify as it's certainly a vague one :D

Dan505
24-07-12, 11:45 PM
yes we keep our current licence permitting us up to 33kwh but to go higher we need to line the coffers ahem i mean pay for a test, not the bike schools fault but hope they don't charge the same for an A2 unrestriction authorisation european directive directional legislation licence removal as the same as DAS?

cerruti
25-07-12, 04:48 AM
Mmmm, it's definitely confusing. I think we need a professional opinion here....

Where's Mark when you need him? Everyone pls go check your local Subway and Maccy D's, he's got to be around somewhere :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Jon_W
25-07-12, 07:45 AM
Where is that man Able????? :-?

Dan505
25-07-12, 07:53 AM
it doesn't seem that confusing???? check my link in post 3 (its in red) for official web site. it seems clear to me that i'm going to need to retest.

Maybe Mr Able will do one big group test :P

Goldie
25-07-12, 09:37 AM
AFAIK, if you have an A2 now, the restriction is removed after 2 years. That still stands, it's if you pass your test after Jan '13 things get nasty.
That's what Mark told me a week ago, which is why my son is booked in for his test :)

What the Direct.gov site says (and I think, means) is if you want to ride a bigger bike BEFORE your 2 years is up, you follow the new rules, (after Jan)

Dan505
25-07-12, 10:06 AM
States clearly that we retain our A2 but if want to upgrade then another test is need....

Existing motorcycle or tricycle riders
If you already have motorcycle entitlement, it won't change under the new rules. However, if you want to ride bigger bikes, you'll need to follow the rules for new riders below.Your entitlement to ride tricycles is currently shown on your licence as category B1 (trikes and quads) or B (cars). When you replace or renew your licence after 19 January 2013, it will be shown as B1 and A (limited to tricycles).

Kes123
25-07-12, 01:16 PM
The new rules apply to people taking their test from the 19th January 2013. It is not retrospective.

Anyone who has already passed prior to that date continues under the current rules.

Dan505
25-07-12, 03:04 PM
except when they want to ride a bigger bike!!!

Kes123
25-07-12, 03:55 PM
except when they want to ride a bigger bike!!!

Pardon?

Anyone passing on a 125 before the 19th January gets their licence under the current system, i.e. 33BHP max for 2 years then upgrade to full Category A with no further tests required.

So if your currently under 21, riding around on a 125 with L plates, I suggest you get your test done this year.

Goldie
25-07-12, 04:45 PM
Amen!

voodoo
25-07-12, 06:40 PM
this is what was confusing me as it says that category A holders are unaffected. we may have taken an a2 test but we have category A entitlement :-?

Mark_Able
25-07-12, 09:05 PM
Ok, I'm here. Goldie is right. If you've already passed your test under the current A2 criteria, you'll still be restricted for two years. The new rules only govern those that are taking their test after the end of Jan 2013. I'll start a new thread explaining it all, because folks will need to know... :(

voodoo
25-07-12, 09:08 PM
thank f**k for that ;D

Conehead
25-07-12, 10:07 PM
Glad you all dont need to redo your licence. It would have been a pain. :D :D :D :D :D

Dan505
25-07-12, 10:31 PM
Thanks Able, how come the Gov website says that we will need to take the test to ride a bigger bike? Had my A2 for 1 yr now

Mark_Able
25-07-12, 10:48 PM
It's just not worded well. It is referring to anyone about to take their test, not those that have already done it. They cannot take away what you've already got. ::)

redken1
25-07-12, 11:03 PM
It's just not worded well. It is referring to anyone about to take their test, not those that have already done it. They cannot take away what you've already got. ::)

The bloody Tories and their poodles are. >:( ;) :D

Sorry Mark couldn't resist it - carry on [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dan505
26-07-12, 07:56 AM
cheers for clearing that up Mark, happy days :)

Goldie
26-07-12, 09:28 AM
phew, peace at last ;D

Dan505
26-07-12, 10:08 AM
phew, peace at last ;D
not for you tho.... :D still gonna bug you :D

Goldie
26-07-12, 01:30 PM
stalker! ::) ;D

Dan505
26-07-12, 03:12 PM